NFL

Odell Beckham Jr. has arrest warrant rescinded, says attorney

By Sports Desk January 18, 2020

Odell Beckham Jr. has had his simple battery arrest warrant rescinded, the Cleveland Browns wide receiver's attorney confirmed on Saturday.

Daniel Davillier, Beckham's lawyer, released a statement confirming no charges against the 27-year-old have been sought because the security officer from New Orleans Police Department involved does not want to pursue the matter.

The warrant had been obtained on Thursday after an alleged incident that occurred at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on Monday.

NFL star Beckham appeared to slap the officer's buttocks in the LSU locker room during the celebrations after their 42-25 victory over Clemson in the National Championship Game.

"The arrest warrant stemming from the postgame locker room celebration at the Superdome on January 13, 2020, has been recalled; there is no warrant outstanding for the arrest of Odell Beckham, Jr.," Davillier confirmed in a statement to Omnisport.

"The security officer involved does not wish to pursue charges in this matter. This legal matter has been resolved." 

The Browns released a statement of their own saying on Thursday revealing they had contacted their player regarding the warrant, insisting he was "cooperating with the proper authorities".

While one matter has now been resolved, Beckham still faces scrutiny for another incident that took place at the game, having been spotted handing out notes to players on the field.

The NCAA has rules that bar college players from receiving certain benefits.

Having initially said they believed the bills to be fake, LSU later released a statement saying "information and footage received since shows apparent cash may have also been given to LSU student-athletes" and that they had contacted NCAA regarding that incident.

Beckham spent three years with LSU between 2011 and 2013, accumulating 2,340 receiving yards and catching 12 touchdowns.

The New York Giants selected him with the 12th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft and he shot to prominence during his rookie year with an incredible one-handed catch against the Dallas Cowboys.

Beckham went to three straight Pro Bowls with the Giants and was traded to Cleveland back in March.

In his debut season with the Browns, the 27-year-old had 74 catches for 1,035 yards and four touchdowns - the lowest totals he has achieved across a full 16-game season.

Related items

  • Slater: Standards don't change for Patriots after Brady exit Slater: Standards don't change for Patriots after Brady exit

    New England Patriots wide receiver Matthew Slater insisted the standards remain the same for the storied NFL franchise, despite the loss of Tom Brady.

    Brady swapped the Patriots for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers via free agency, after winning six Super Bowl titles in Foxborough.

    The exit of the legendary quarterback following a glorious two-decade run in New England leaves an obvious void, but Slater backed his team to step up.

    "I don't think the goals change at all. The standard doesn't change at all. The pillars that we stand upon, they don't change at all," the 34-year-old told reporters on a conference call on Monday.

    "If you go into the season with a defeatist mindset, then you can't expect to be successful. We have a great opportunity. We have a lot of good football players. We have a tremendous coaching staff. ... We have to go into the season expecting more from ourselves than anyone outside the building expects from us.

    "We have to go in with the same drive, the same focus, the same determination. If we don't, you shouldn't even step foot in the building, because we're already going to be beat."

    On Brady's departure, Slater – a three-time Super Bowl champion – added: "When you talk about Tom and everything he's meant to this organisation, and our team, a lot of our identity over the last 20 years has been centred around him. Any time you transition away from a player like that, it's a tall task.

    "You have to find a way to deal with that personally and process it. I think as a team, obviously, we're going to have to process that Tom is gone. Do it in a healthy way, and be able to move on.

    "We're going to have to be able to find a new identity for ourselves. I think part of that identity is going to be built upon things we've always stood for and will continue to stand for as long as this organisation is led by the people it's led by. That's going to be selflessness, hard work, doing what's best for the football team, serving one another, not having any level of expectation that things are going to be handed to us."

  • Drew Brees' rattlesnake encounter leaves Sean Payton wanting more social distancing Drew Brees' rattlesnake encounter leaves Sean Payton wanting more social distancing

    Drew Brees might not have to dodge defensive linemen and free blitzers any time soon, but Sean Payton would rather he steered clear of rattlesnakes too.

    Veteran quarterback Brees recently agreed a new two-year deal to return to the New Orleans Saints, who have suffered playoff heartache in three successive seasons under Payton.

    However, the quarterback-and-head-coach duo appear primed for another run at a Super Bowl next season having delivered the franchise's first Lombardi Trophy a decade ago.

    Yet given the importance of Brees - the NFL's all-time leader for passing yardage, pass completions and touchdowns thrown, Saints fans would rather he avoided any potential dangers this offseason.

    The 41-year-old uploaded a picture of a rattlesnake onto his Instagram account alongside the caption: "The baby rattlesnakes were out today... Saw them on the late afternoon walk with the dogs."

    At a time when people the world over are being encouraged to remain at home and limit their social interactions, the thought of Brees having a close shave with a snake prompted his head coach Payton to offer some advice.

    In a reply to Brees on Twitter, Payton wrote: "Let's find a different route. Ok?" 

    Payton was the first person in the NFL known to have tested positive for coronavirus when it was revealed he had COVID-19 on March 19.

    Less than a week later he said he had been "cleared" of the illness and was "doing well".

  • Tom Brady pitched himself to Bucs in free agency, says GM Tom Brady pitched himself to Bucs in free agency, says GM

    Tom Brady may have won six Super Bowl rings, but Jason Licht has revealed the quarterback still felt the need to state his case to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers during free agency.

    Veteran Brady chose Tampa Bay as his next destination after bringing an end to a glorious two-decade run in New England, where he added six Lombardis to the Patriots' trophy cabinet.

    The Buccaneers have not been to the playoffs for 12 successive seasons but general manager Licht, a former Patriots staffer, and head coach Bruce Arians did not need to pitch Tampa Bay as an ideal landing spot for Brady.

    Instead, Licht has detailed how 42-year-old quarterback Brady tried to sway the Buccaneers' top brass in a phone call on March 18, the first day of free agency.

    "We had a great conversation - Bruce and I - we talked to him for over an hour and a half," Licht told ESPN.

    "And he made it clear in the conversation that he was very, very interested.

    "It was almost like a recruitment on his part, telling us why it would make sense for him to come to Tampa Bay. The next call we made, we signed him, but it was at that phone call that we realised, that we felt like we had him."

    In moving on from Jameis Winston, who led the NFL in passing yardage in 2019, to Tom Brady, the Buccaneers are going from a gunslinger to a far more risk-adverse QB.

    However, there have been fears that Brady, who turns 43 in August, does not possess the requisite arm strength to thrive in Arians' offensive system, which favours taking big shots downfield.

    Arians believes Brady still fits the bill for that type of quarterback, and Licht sees no sign of decline either.

    "The tape showed to us that he had plenty of arm," Licht added.

    "In fact, we thought that he had an ideal arm for Bruce in his system.

    "He can still throw it deep. We felt like the mobility was still the same as he's always had, which, he's never been able to outrun anybody, but he certainly is good in the pocket in terms of eluding pressure and with his poise and his instincts.

    "We did not see a decline in his arm talent whatsoever. And, in fact, we feel like he could still play for over two years for us, and hopefully that's the case."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.