NFL

Rudolph denies Garrett's 'totally untrue' racism claim

By Sports Desk November 25, 2019

Mason Rudolph said he "couldn't believe" Myles Garrett accused him of making a racial slur prior to the brawl between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Cleveland Browns.

The NFL suspended Browns defensive end Garrett for at least the rest of the season after he hit Rudolph over the head with the Steelers quarterback's helmet in the closing seconds of the Week 11 encounter between the teams.

Garrett reportedly claimed in a disciplinary hearing that Rudolph made a racial slur against him in the build-up to their altercation.

An NFL investigation found no evidence to support the allegation but Garrett stood by his assertion in a social media statement, writing: "I know what I heard".

Rudolph addressed reporters after Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals and insisted the allegation was unfounded.

"It's totally untrue," the 24-year-old said.

"I couldn't believe it and I couldn't believe that he would go that route after the fact. It is what it is. I think I've moved on."

Asked if he had said anything that Garrett could have interpreted as a racial slur, Rudolph responded: "Absolutely not. There was nothing. Not even close."

Rudolph was benched after throwing eight of 16 for 85 yards and one interception during the Steelers' 16-10 win over the Bengals.

Pittsburgh's next game is against the Browns at Heinz Field.

Related items

  • Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson purchases XFL in $15m deal Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson purchases XFL in $15m deal

    Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and RedBird Capital have agreed a $15million deal to purchase the XFL.

    The Hollywood actor and former WWE superstar, who played college football for the Miami Hurricanes before making his name in wrestling, teamed up with the private equity firm to buy the league hours before a scheduled auction.

    The XFL was relaunched by WWE CEO Vince McMahon in 2020 following an unsuccessful one-season existence back in 2001 but was forced to file for bankruptcy after the coronavirus pandemic forced the cancellation of its season.

    Confirming the sale, which is subject to bankruptcy court approval, XFL president Jeffrey Pollack said: "This is a Hollywood ending to our sale process and the start of a fantastic new beginning for the XFL with the best possible ownership group going forward."

    In quotes reported by ESPN's Kevin Seifert, Johnson said: "With pride and gratitude for all that I've built with my own two hands, I plan to apply these callouses to the XFL, and look forward to creating something special for the players, fans, and everyone involved for the love of football."

  • Falcons sign former first-rounder Dennard Falcons sign former first-rounder Dennard

    The Atlanta Falcons have added to their secondary with the signing of cornerback Darqueze Dennard.

    Dennard had been set to sign for the Jacksonville Jaguars in March after his contract with the Cincinnati Bengals expired.

    However, he failed to come to terms with the Jaguars and Jacksonville's loss is now the Falcons' gain.

    Dennard boosts a secondary lacking experience after releasing former Pro Bowler Desmond Trufant in March.

    Atlanta drafted cornerback A.J. Terrell in the first round of this year's draft, with Isaiah Oliver and Kendall Sheffield, who have just 29 starts between them, also in the mix in the defensive backfield.

    Since entering the NFL in 2014, Dennard has 24 starts in 77 games, recording three interceptions and 22 pass breakups.

    The Falcons missed the playoffs for the second successive year in 2019 but improved drastically after a 1-7 start to finish the year 7-9.

  • Eagles coach Doug Pederson tests positive for coronavirus Eagles coach Doug Pederson tests positive for coronavirus

    Philadelphia Eagles head coach Doug Pederson has tested positive for coronavirus, the NFL franchise confirmed on Sunday.

    The Eagles said Super Bowl-winning coach Pederson is asymptomatic and currently in self-quarantine after contracting COVID-19.

    It comes after Eagles star and three-time Pro Bowler Lane Johnson was placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list on Wednesday following his coronavirus diagnosis.

    "We received confirmation this evening that head coach Doug Pederson tested positive for COVID-19," the Eagles said in a statement.

    "Pederson is asymptomatic and doing well. He is currently in self-quarantine and in communication with the team's medical staff.

    "The organisation is following the protocols established by the NFL and the NFLPA.

    "Any individuals in close contact with Pederson at our facility have been notified and will continue with daily testing procedures and compliance with all protocols before returning to the facility."

    The Eagles will face the Washington Football Team in week one of the NFL season on September 13.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.