NFL

Rudolph fined $50k as NFL punishes 33 players for Steelers-Browns brawl

By Sports Desk November 23, 2019

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph received a $50,000 fine for his role in the brawl with the Cleveland Browns.

Browns defensive end Myles Garrett was suspended for at least the rest of the season by the NFL after he hit Rudolph over the head with the Steelers QB's helmet in the closing seconds of last Thursday's Week 11 encounter between the two teams.

Rudolph, who escaped suspension, was slapped with the largest sum as 33 players were fined by the NFL on Saturday.

Garrett was fined $45,623, while Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey – who had a three-game ban reduced to two – received a $35,096 fine.

Both the Browns and Steelers were fined $250,000 each.

Earlier this week, Rudolph said: "Should have done a better job of keeping my cool in that situation and in retrospect I put Maurkice Pouncey - probably one of the best team-mates I've ever had - in a tough spot, as well as my team-mates.

"The way I saw it, on the final play of the game, with the game in hand the way it was, we had already lost two of our players for targeting penalties and as I released the ball, I took a late shot, did not agree with the way he took me to the ground and my natural reaction was just to get him off from on top of me.

"Again, I should have done a better job handling that situation. I have no ill-will towards Myles Garrett, great respect for his ability as a player and I know if Myles could go back, he would handle the situation differently. 

"As for my involvement last week, there is no excuse, the bottom line is I should have done a better job keeping my composure in that situation and I fell short in what I believe it means to be a Pittsburgh Steeler and a member of the NFL."

The Browns face the Miami Dolphins on Sunday, while the Steelers take on the Cincinnati Bengals.

Related items

  • Falcons sign former first-rounder Dennard Falcons sign former first-rounder Dennard

    The Atlanta Falcons have added to their secondary with the signing of cornerback Darqueze Dennard.

    Dennard had been set to sign for the Jacksonville Jaguars in March after his contract with the Cincinnati Bengals expired.

    However, he failed to come to terms with the Jaguars and Jacksonville's loss is now the Falcons' gain.

    Dennard boosts a secondary lacking experience after releasing former Pro Bowler Desmond Trufant in March.

    Atlanta drafted cornerback A.J. Terrell in the first round of this year's draft, with Isaiah Oliver and Kendall Sheffield, who have just 29 starts between them, also in the mix in the defensive backfield.

    Since entering the NFL in 2014, Dennard has 24 starts in 77 games, recording three interceptions and 22 pass breakups.

    The Falcons missed the playoffs for the second successive year in 2019 but improved drastically after a 1-7 start to finish the year 7-9.

  • Eagles coach Doug Pederson tests positive for coronavirus Eagles coach Doug Pederson tests positive for coronavirus

    Philadelphia Eagles head coach Doug Pederson has tested positive for coronavirus, the NFL franchise confirmed on Sunday.

    The Eagles said Super Bowl-winning coach Pederson is asymptomatic and currently in self-quarantine after contracting COVID-19.

    It comes after Eagles star and three-time Pro Bowler Lane Johnson was placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list on Wednesday following his coronavirus diagnosis.

    "We received confirmation this evening that head coach Doug Pederson tested positive for COVID-19," the Eagles said in a statement.

    "Pederson is asymptomatic and doing well. He is currently in self-quarantine and in communication with the team's medical staff.

    "The organisation is following the protocols established by the NFL and the NFLPA.

    "Any individuals in close contact with Pederson at our facility have been notified and will continue with daily testing procedures and compliance with all protocols before returning to the facility."

    The Eagles will face the Washington Football Team in week one of the NFL season on September 13.

  • Rams coach McVay has faith in NFL season amid COVID-19 pandemic Rams coach McVay has faith in NFL season amid COVID-19 pandemic

    Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay is optimistic the NFL can proceed amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    The 2020 NFL season is scheduled to begin on September 10, despite all preseason games being cancelled due to the COVID-19 crisis.

    Previously, McVay has been sceptical regarding training camp and the NFL season but the 34-year-old coach has faith in the campaign going ahead.

    "I feel a lot better now, having a little bit more knowledge and understanding of – it's really about the risk mitigation, keeping our ecosystem clear," McVay said.

    The Rams are scheduled to face the Dallas Cowboys in their NFL opener on September 13.

    McVay added: "We're still going to play football. I think there's a better understanding of how we apply those risk mitigation practices.

    "I made the comment about social distancing – we're not going to do that on the field, but in those meeting settings when you can do that and you're wearing your masks, those are the times that we're going to do that."

    "Guys are chomping at the bit to get back and understand that that's going to be part of how we have a successful season – is guys successfully handling themselves in the right way with regards to the risk mitigation," McVay continued.

    "We've always just talked about handling yourself in a professional manner outside the building for just good decision making and now that's an added part of it as we navigate through this."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.