NFL

Antonio Brown set to join the New England Patriots after Raiders release – reports

By Sports Desk September 07, 2019

Antonio Brown is set to join 2019 Super Bowl champions the New England Patriots after he was released by the Oakland Raiders, according to reports.

Brown was released on Saturday, with Raiders head coach Jon Gruden saying the team had "exhausted everything" to keep the wide receiver, who had joined from the 
Pittsburgh Steelers on a three-year deal reportedly worth more than $50million per season.

Reports now claim the 31-year-old will link up with the Patriots, signing a one-year, $15m contract, with Brown then seemingly confirming the move on his official Twitter account.

Brown's spell at Oakland took a turn for the worse last week after a reported incident between the receiver and general manager Mike Mayock.

On Wednesday, Brown aired his frustration against the Raiders for fining him for missing practice time and a walk-through.

The situation then escalated from there as it was reported Brown got into a verbal altercation with Mayock, which ultimately resulted in another fine.

Brown apologised to his team on Friday, and Gruden claimed he would play in Week 1 against the Denver Broncos.

However, Brown’s latest social media post proved the final straw.

"You are gonna p*** a lot of people off when you start doing what's best for you," Brown posted to Instagram.

"And that's fine!" it continued. "I have worked my whole life to prove that the system is blind to see talent like mines (sic). Now that everyone sees it, they want me to conform to that same system that has failed me all those years 'I'm not mad at anyone. I'm just asking for the freedom to prove them all wrong.' Release me. @raiders #NOMore."

The Patriots will face the Steelers, who selected Brown out of the 2010 draft, on Sunday.

Brown, however, cannot face his former team without the switch becoming official, which will likely happen on Monday.

Related items

  • Patrick Mahomes reportedly set to return this season following dislocated kneecap Patrick Mahomes reportedly set to return this season following dislocated kneecap

    Patrick Mahomes has avoided significant damage despite dislocating his kneecap while in action for the Kansas City Chiefs on Thursday, according to reports.

    Mahomes was taken off in the first half of the Chiefs' win over the Denver Broncos, having appeared to have his right knee popped back into place while still on the field.

    The quarterback was set to undergo MRI scans on Friday, and the NFL Network later reported the 24-year-old had suffered no additional damage.

    It was said Kansas City plan to have reigning NFL MVP Mahomes back on the field this season.

    ESPN reported Mahomes could even be back in around three weeks in a best-case scenario.

    Mahomes, who had been playing through an ankle problem, was able to leave the field without a cart and will now be aiming to lead the Chiefs in the playoffs.

    The team are 5-2 through seven weeks, returning to winning ways on Thursday following back-to-back defeats to the Indianapolis Colts and Houston Texans.

    Kansas City lost the AFC Championship game to eventual Super Bowl champions the New England Patriots last season as Mahomes enjoyed an outstanding sophomore year.

    He threw 50 touchdowns in the 2018 regular season and had added another 15 this term before backup Matt Moore was required to step in against the Broncos.

  • Greenwood signs new Man United contract Greenwood signs new Man United contract

    Mason Greenwood has signed a new long-term Manchester United contract, the club have confirmed.

    The 18-year-old forward has committed to a four-year contract, with the option to extend by a further year.

    "Having grown up as a Manchester United fan, playing for the first team is a real dream come true," Greenwood told the club's website.

    "I know that, when I play for this club, I represent the whole academy and I want to repay the faith that my coaches have shown in me with my performances on the pitch.

    "I am learning all the time from the manager and his coaching staff and I know that this is the perfect club to help me reach my potential."

    Greenwood made his Premier League debut under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the 2-0 away defeat to Arsenal in March, with his first top-flight start coming two months later.

    He has become a regular in the first-team squad in 2019-20, making six substitute appearances in the league and starting three times in cup competitions.

    Greenwood scored his first goal for United to seal a 1-0 Europa League win over Astana at Old Trafford on September 19 and struck again in the EFL Cup draw with Rochdale, with the Red Devils ultimately progressing to the next round on penalties.

    "Mason has progressed through our outstanding academy and we are delighted with the progress he has made. At such a young age, he already has great pace and intelligence and he is such a natural finisher," Solskjaer said.

    "Since he came into the first team, he has really impressed everyone with his drive and attitude. He has all the attributes to become a top player. Mason is learning every day in training and, with his work ethic, there is no doubt that he has an excellent future ahead of him."

    Greenwood is the second United academy graduate to sign a new contract with the club this week.

    Full-back Brandon Williams, who made his debut in the Rochdale clash and started the Europa League draw with AZ, signed a three-year deal with the option of a fourth on Thursday.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Greenwood signs new Man United contract BREAKING NEWS: Greenwood signs new Man United contract
    Mason Greenwood has signed a new long-term Manchester United contract, the club have confirmed.
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.