NFL

NFL partners with Jay-Z's Roc Nation for social activism campaign

By Sports Desk August 13, 2019

The NFL is linking up with Roc Nation, rapper Shawn 'Jay-Z' Carter's entertainment company, to form a social justice partnership for the 2019 season, the Washington Post reported.

The initiative is part of the NFL's Inspire Change programme and will allow Roc Nation to be a co-producer of the Super Bowl half-time show, as well as other production of music throughout the season.

Carter said he hopes that by bringing Roc Nation and the NFL together, players and league members can bring about social awareness while giving back to their communities.

"With its global reach, the National Football League has the platform and opportunity to inspire change across the country," he said. "Roc Nation has shown that entertainment and enacting change are not mutually exclusive ideas - instead, we unify them. This partnership is an opportunity to strengthen the fabric of communities across America."

Roc Nation, which represents running backs Todd Gurley and Saquon Barkley among several NFL clients, will create and distribute music across its platforms, on top of collaborating with the NFL for live musical events that include a Pro Bowl community concert.

Original music, podcasts and visual albums are also part of the deal and could be produced under the Roc Nation label.

"Roc Nation is one of the most globally influential and impactful organisations in entertainment," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said. "The NFL and Roc Nation share a vision of inspiring meaningful social change across our country. We are thrilled to partner with Roc Nation and look forward to making a difference in our communities together."

It is worth noting that Jay-Z is not obligated to perform at the Super Bowl nor other NFL events.

The partnership comes after Carter publicly supported free agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who started kneeling during the national anthem during the 2016 season to protest against racial and social injustice.

Since 2017, Kaepernick has not been part of an NFL team, which has led many to criticise and boycott the league over alleged collusion against the quarterback.

Kaepernick settled with the NFL over his allegations of collusion, while many artists have decided not to participate in NFL activities over the issue.

Related items

  • Lions to start Driskel again as injured Stafford ruled out Lions to start Driskel again as injured Stafford ruled out

    Matthew Stafford will miss a third straight game for the Detroit Lions after head coach Matt Patricia confirmed the quarterback will not play against the Washington Redskins.

    Quarterback Stafford previously missed the defeats to the Chicago Bears and the Dallas Cowboys with a back injury, leaving the Lions with a 3-6-1 record.

    The first overall pick in the 2009 draft had started the previous 136 games prior to this absence, with Jeff Driskel replacing him as starter.

    "He [Stafford] won't be on the field," Patricia confirmed to the media ahead of the Week 12 trip to Washington, before praising the 31-year-old for continuing to demonstrate his leadership qualities despite being out of action.

    "What Matthew has done is phenomenal. We have a lot of players that are maybe not out there for the week who help the players get ready," he added.

    "He's done a great job at practice of being on the sidelines and going through the keys, going through the tendencies and going game plan with Jeff.

    "He brings a lot of value to our team by just being there, just with his general presence. What he does as a leader for us is really important."

    Stafford made clear on Thursday that he still hopes to return to action this season, even though Detroit's recent slump has pushed them out of the playoff picture.

    "I love playing football," he told the media.

    "I appreciate all the hard work that all the guys in this locker room and in this organisation put into going out there and trying to win games on Sunday and I love being a part of that."

    Driskel has thrown for 478 yards, three touchdowns and one interception in back-to-back defeats for the Lions.

  • Texans edge Colts for top spot in AFC South Texans edge Colts for top spot in AFC South

    The Houston Texans claimed sole possession of first place in the NFL's AFC South with a 20-17 victory over the Indianapolis Colts.

    Deshaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins starred as the Texans (7-4) moved clear in the AFC South on Thursday.

    Texans quarterback Watson threw two touchdown passes to Hopkins and finished with 298 yards against the Colts (6-5).

    The Texans, who were humbled 41-7 by the Baltimore Ravens last week, trailed by four points early in the fourth quarter in Houston.

    But the Texans rallied – Hopkins stretching out for a 30-yard reception as Houston moved 20-17 ahead of Indianapolis.

    Houston's defence then stepped up and stopped the Colts on fourth-and-seven with three minutes remaining.

    There was some late controversy 50 seconds from the end, when Watson ran the ball and had it punched out.

    The Colts appealed for the recovered fumble but there was no review and the Texans kept the ball, eventually running out the clock.

    After the game, the NFL said, "there was no clear visual evidence of a recovery by the defence".

    Colts quarterback Jacoby Brissett was 16 of 25 for 129 yards, while he rushed for a touchdown.

  • Antonio Brown files denial to accusations of sexual assault Antonio Brown files denial to accusations of sexual assault

    Antonio Brown has filed his initial response to accusations of sexual assault and rape made against him in a civil lawsuit by his former personal trainer Britney Taylor.

    Brown, who was released by the New England Patriots in September, has always firmly denied the allegations.

    The 31-year-old has now officially filed his response and counterclaims in Broward County Circuit Court, Florida.

    A statement issued to Omnisport by Brown's lawyer Camille E. Blanton read: "In his pleading, Mr. Brown categorically denies each and every allegation contained in the Taylor complaint.

    "Additionally, Mr. Brown provided numerous significant facts that were omitted from Taylor's complaint, including Taylor's communications to Brown revealing that Taylor was open to a romantic relationship with Brown, Taylor's travel from Memphis to South Florida 12 days after the alleged 2018 sexual assault, Taylor's arrival at Mr. Brown's residence at 2:42am on the morning of her 2018 return South Florida trip, Taylor's continued communications with Brown after the alleged rape, including a copious amount of text message (SMS) exchanges with Mr. Brown in the hours after Taylor's engagement on May 28, 2018.

    "Mr. Brown is committed to his continued aggressive response to Taylor's false allegations.

    "Not only does Mr. Brown seek to clear his name, but he also desires to make a statement that there is not an open season to extort professional athletes."

    Since leaving the Patriots, former Pittsburgh Steelers and Oakland Raiders wide receiver Brown has claimed he has quit the NFL on several occasions, though he has subsequently refuted those comments.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.