NBA commissioner Silver: Best guess next season won't start until January

By Sports Desk September 22, 2020

NBA commissioner Adam Silver does not expect the 2020-21 season to start until next year amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The NBA is deep into the Conference finals behind closed doors inside the Orlando bubble at Walt Disney World Resort after the 2019-20 campaign resumed in July, having been suspended in March due to COVID-19.

A December tip-off for the new season was tentatively flagged previously but Silver said the league is set to be pushed back to January.

"My best guess is even though it'll be the 2020-21 season, that the season won't start until 2021," Silver told CNN.

"We said the earliest we would start is Christmas of this year. But the more I'm learning and listening to Dr. Anthony Fauci [head of the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases] this morning, I continue to believe we're going to be better off going into January. The goal for us next season is to play a standard season.

"And further, the goal would be to play games in home arenas in front of fans, but there's still a lot that we need to learn."

A January start date could clash with the rescheduled Olympic Games in Japan, where the United States will defend their gold medal.

The Tokyo Games are due to be held between July 23 and August 8 and Silver added: "There are a lot of great U.S. players, and we may be up against a scenario where the top 15 NBA players aren't competing in the Olympics, but other great American players are competing.

"And, obviously, there are many NBA players who participate in the Olympics for other countries. That's something we're going to have to work through."

"These are highly unique and unusual circumstances," Silver said. "And I think just as it is for the Olympic movement, it is for us as well. And we're just going to have to sort of find a way to meld and mesh those two competing considerations."

Related items

  • England men accept 15 per cent pay cut due to coronavirus impact on ECB England men accept 15 per cent pay cut due to coronavirus impact on ECB

    England men's cricketers have accepted a 15 per cent reduction in pay over the next 12 months as part of cost-cutting measures brought on by the coronavirus pandemic.

    The England and Wales Cricket board (ECB) said on Friday that it had reached an agreement with the Team England Player Partnership (TEPP), which will see centrally contracted players take a reduction in retainers, match fees and win bonuses from October 1.

    The ECB said the measures are needed due to the "substantial shortfall" in its income caused by COVID-19, with losses expected to exceed £100million in 2020.

    Ashley Giles, managing director of England Men's Cricket, said: "I would like to thank the players and TEPP for their collaboration, which has enabled us to reach this agreement.

    "The relationship with our men's players and their representatives (TEPP) is strong, and we need to recognise that our players, led by captains Joe Root and Eoin Morgan, have conducted themselves with great maturity and responsibility throughout this challenging time.

    "We now want to build on this agreement and work together on a number of areas relating to player welfare, particularly mental health, which remains a high priority for all of us, as we continue to navigate a path through this pandemic."

    Richard Bevan, chairman of the TEPP, added: "These are unprecedented times and once again the players have shown that they fully appreciate the important role they play in helping cricket emerge from this pandemic in as strong a position as possible. In agreeing to this revised remuneration package, they have shown great responsibility and unity with the wider game.

    "TEPP would like to place on record our appreciation to the ECB for their cooperative approach in agreeing a way forward throughout these challenging circumstances."

    Last month, chief executive Tom Harrison said the ECB would be cutting 62 jobs as part of essential steps to help "safeguard cricket's long-term future", with potential losses feared to rise towards £200m next year.

     

  • Kawhi and George will stay as long as Clippers win – Lue Kawhi and George will stay as long as Clippers win – Lue

    Tyronn Lue believes star duo Kawhi Leonard and Paul George will remain with the Los Angeles Clippers for a "long time" if championships are won as the new head coach embraces pressure of success.

    Lue will lead the Clippers in 2020-21 after replacing Doc Rivers following the team's stunning Western Conference semi-final exit in the NBA playoffs.

    The Clippers were one of the favourites to claim their maiden title following the arrivals of Leonard and George but squandered a 3-1 lead against the Denver Nuggets at Walt Disney World Resort amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    After going all-in to build a super team to outshine LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers – who reigned supreme in the Orlando bubble – pressure will again be on the Clippers to deliver a championship as time runs out.

    "Any time you have a chance to win a championship, it's pressure," Lue told ESPN's 'The Jump' in an interview to be aired Thursday.

    "And, I think Kawhi, PG are here to stay for a long time. We just gotta make it a great environment and we have to win."

    Lue fronted the media for the first time since being appointed, stepping up to fill Rivers' void having served as an assistant for the Clippers in 2019-20.

    The 43-year-old Lue guided the Cleveland Cavaliers to their first championship in 2016 – a team headline by James.

    There were high hopes for the Clippers, boasting two-time champion Leonard, six-time All-Star George, Patrick Beverley and Lou Williams but team chemistry and leadership derailed the Los Angeles franchise last term.

    The 2019-20 campaign was the ninth consecutive season the Clippers finished with a winning record (49-23) but failed to reach the Conference finals – the longest streak of its kind in NBA history, per Stats Perform.

    "I think when you talk about chemistry and continuity, it is not off the court, the guys not liking each other," Lue told reporters on Wednesday.

    "When you talk about chemistry, it is more so [George] came in and he had shoulder surgery, so he was out, he missed the whole training camp and was out the first 11 games of the season. Kawhi came in and couldn't participate in the whole training camp, and then we lost Pat Beverley, in and out of the lin-up a few times."

    One of the Clippers' biggest strengths is their bench, averaging over 50 points per game in each of the past two seasons – the only times any team have done that in the past 35 years.

    But in the playoffs this past season, the Clippers relied much more heavily on their starters as their bench averaged only 36.5 points per game in the postseason.

    With the Clippers built to win now, their ageing roster also presents a problem. They are one of the oldest teams in the league, fourth and only behind the Houston Rockets (30 years, 179 days), Milwaukee Bucks (29 years, 321 days) and Lakers (29 years, 201 days) with an average of 28 years and 153 days.

    "Leadership is different," Lue said. "You can talk about our two players, Kawhi and PG, they lead by example ... And you are not going to have the best players be the natural leaders at all times. It doesn't happen like that. I think a lot of leadership has to come from me, has to come from Kawhi, PG, Lou and Pat Beverley. It's going to be collective.

    "I got to show them different ways of leadership and they got to show me different ways of leadership. I don't know everything. They don't know everything ... The biggest thing about leadership is just communication."

  • Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test

    Former world number one Adam Scott will miss the Zozo Championship this week after testing positive for coronavirus.

    It was announced on the eve of the tournament at the Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, California, that Scott has returned a positive COVID-19 test.

    The 2013 Masters champion is self-isolating and will be replaced in the field for the PGA Tour event by Jim Herman.

    "While it’s difficult news to receive – as I really looked forward to playing this week – my focus now is on recovery for the final stretch of the fall," Scott said

    The Australian has won 14 PGA Tour titles, most recently at the Genesis Invitational in February.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.