Coronavirus: EuroLeague season cancelled, no 2019-20 champions

By Sports Desk May 25, 2020

Basketball's EuroLeague season has been abandoned and there will be no 2019-20 champions, it was announced on Monday.

The campaign was still in its regular-season stage when the coronavirus pandemic forced the league to be suspended in March.

Five teams had already secured play-off places after 28 of the scheduled 34 rounds of games, with three more berths up for grabs.

Anadolu Efes Istanbul sat top of the standings, ahead of Real Madrid and Barcelona, with CSKA Moscow fourth and Maccabi FOX Tel Aviv in fifth place.

However, the EuroLeague Commercial Assets (ECA) executive board declared the season over, announcing the 2020-21 EuroLeague will start on October 1.

It said "every possible option" had been explored before reaching that decision, also announcing the cancellation of the EuroCup campaign.

Given the spread of COVID-19, its degrees of evolution, and the differing ways in which its spread is being controlled within Europe, the ECA said there were "no guarantees" teams would be able to travel to games.

The ECA added in a statement: "In keeping with our continued values of sports integrity and fairness, the executive board decided not to recognise any team as the champion for the 2019-20 EuroLeague, nor the EuroCup."

Euroleague Basketball president and chief executive Jordi Bertomeu said: "Without a doubt, this is the most difficult decision we have had to take in our 20-year history.

"Obviously, we had many motivations to resume the 2019-20 season, but in such an exceptional situation, we have to put people's health first and ahead of any other interest: our players, our coaches, our referees, our clubs, their staff, our league staff, our broadcasters, and all of their families. By doing so, we stay true to our beliefs and what we stand for."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Raptors ready to defend NBA title – Ibaka Coronavirus: Raptors ready to defend NBA title – Ibaka

    Serge Ibaka warned the Toronto Raptors are "locked in" and ready to defend their NBA title following the coronavirus-enforced break.

    The NBA season is set to resume on July 30 after the 2019-20 campaign was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic in March.

    Orlando's Disney World complex will host 22 teams, with the Los Angeles Lakers headlining the league's comeback against rivals the Los Angeles Clippers on July 30 after the New Orleans Pelicans face the Utah Jazz on the same day.

    Defending champions the Raptors – second in the Eastern Conference and trailing the NBA-leading Milwaukee Bucks (53-12) with a 46-18 record – will restart their season against the Lakers on August 1.

    Raptors star Ibaka said his team-mates are ready to return, telling reporters via a conference call on Saturday: "I saw just how everyone is in great shape. 

    "They came here in great shape and as soon as we got here everyone was starting to put in work.

    "I've been in the league for 11 years. You can see when people's locked in and they are ready mentally, and when they are not.

    "So I can tell you right now, mentally, everybody is ready. Everybody is ready."

    Ibaka, who helped the Raptors win their first championship last season, added: "It's been a little bit weird [this season] with everything that's going on. But one thing we know is that it's over.

    "Whatever happened last season is over, and we've got to try to put our mindset so that it's ready to go for this one.

    "We know it's going to be hard, it's going to be a challenge, and everyone is going to come for us because we are the champs, so we have to be ready."

    Meanwhile, the 30-year-old center admitted he is worried about the rising number of coronavirus cases in Florida.

    "Honestly it's really concerning," he said. "Hopefully everybody has to follow the rules, every player, when we get in the bubble in Orlando, we can respect all the notes that they're going to give us.

    "But I have my daughter who lives here in Orlando, and it's kind of scary a little bit. It's something where you have to make sure you look at it."

  • Coronavirus: Dodgers' Price opts out of MLB season due to COVID-19 concerns Coronavirus: Dodgers' Price opts out of MLB season due to COVID-19 concerns

    Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher David Price will not play this season because of concerns over the coronavirus pandemic. 

    The start of the 2020 MLB campaign was scheduled to get underway in March before it was postponed due to the COVID-19 crisis.

    Now, a 60-game regular season is set to begin on July 23 but Price – who was acquired from the Boston Red Sox along with 2018 American League MVP Mookie Betts in February for Alex Verdugo and prospects – will not be involved.

    "After considerable thought and discussion with my family and the Dodgers, I have decided it is in the best interest of my health and my family's health for me not to play this season," Price announced via social media on Saturday.

    "I will miss my team-mates and will be cheering for them throughout the season and on to a World Series victory. I'm sorry I won't be playing for you this year, but look forward to representing you next year.

    "Stay safe, be well, and be kind. And go Dodgers!"

    The announcement by the five-time All-Star comes a day after Los Angeles Angels star Mike Trout said he was not "comfortable" with the current situation and is still unsure whether he will play due to his pregnant wife.  

    San Francisco Giants veteran catcher Buster Posey said he may choose not to play in 2020 on Saturday.

    Colorado Rockies outfielder Ian Desmond, Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake and Washington Nationals team-mates Joe Ross and Ryan Zimmerman have already said they will not play this season. 

    Price was set to earn $32million this season, with the Red Sox paying $16m of that, before the coronavirus crisis.

    The 2012 AL Cy Young award winner went 7-5 with a 4.28 ERA for Boston last season and helped the Red Sox defeat the Dodgers in the 2018 World Series. 

  • Coronavirus: Giants' Posey considering opting out of 2020 season Coronavirus: Giants' Posey considering opting out of 2020 season

    San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey has suggested he may choose not to play baseball in 2020.

    Teams were allowed to begin team training in their home ballparks on Wednesday in preparation for a 60-game regular season scheduled to begin July 23.

    However, Posey, a 33-year-old franchise cornerstone, addressed the uncertainty of a coronavirus-shortened MLB regular season.

    "There's still some reservation on my end. I think I want to see kind of how things progress here over the next couple of weeks," Posey told reporters.

    Posey’s comments come just hours after the Atlanta Braves announced that star first baseman Freddie Freeman and three of his team-mates have tested positive for the coronavirus.

    Major League Baseball released the results of its first round of league-wide COVID-19 testing on Friday, announcing that 31 players and seven staff members have the virus.

    "It would be a little bit maybe naive or silly not to gauge what's going on around you – not only around you here but paying attention to what's happening in the country, in different parts of the country," Posey said.

    "Obviously unprecedented times right now so most definitely I've thought about it and talked about it with my wife quite a bit."

    Posey missed the Giants' first day of training on Friday due to personal reasons before arriving on Saturday.

    The six-time All-Star has spent all 11 of his major league seasons in San Francisco, batting .302 with 140 home runs and 673 RBI.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.