Coronavirus: Florida open to professional sports teams

By Sports Desk May 13, 2020

Florida followed in the footsteps of Arizona by announcing it is open to professional sports teams amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Arizona governor Doug Ducey opened the door for sport to return to the state without fans on Saturday following the COVID-19 outbreak, which has wreaked havoc globally.

The NBA, NHL and MLS seasons have been postponed, while the start of the 2020 MLB campaign has been delayed.

But Florida's Ron DeSantis became the second governor to clear the way for sport to resume on Wednesday.

"All these professional sports are going to be welcomed in Florida," DeSantis said in a news conference midweek. "That may not be the case in every other state in this country, as we've seen.

"So what I would tell commissioners of leagues is, if you have a team in an area where they just won't let them operate, we'll find a place for you here in the state of Florida. Because we think it's important and we know that it can be done safely."

The United States has been the hardest country hit, with more than 1.4 million confirmed cases and over 85,000 deaths.

Last week's UFC 249 event was held behind closed doors in Jacksonville, Florida, while WrestleMania 36 took place in Orlando.

"Our people are starved to have some of this back in their lives," DeSantis said Wednesday. "It's an important part of people's lives."

Related items

  • Genoa confirm 14 positive cases of coronavirus Genoa confirm 14 positive cases of coronavirus

    Serie A side Genoa have announced 14 people at the club have returned positive tests for coronavirus.

    The cases, from among the playing squad and other staff, were confirmed following the 6-0 league defeat to Napoli on Sunday.

    "The club has activated all the procedures as per the protocol and informed the authorities. The club will give updates as the situation evolves," Genoa said in a statement on Monday.

    This news means Saturday's scheduled game against Torino could now be in doubt.

    It also means Napoli will likely need to carry out tests of their squad before Sunday's clash with champions Juventus.

    Sampdoria also confirmed on Monday that forward Keita Balde had tested positive for COVID-19 and will now follow the necessary health protocols.

    The player is due to join Sampdoria from Monaco this week on loan.

  • Rivers confirms exit as Clippers coach Rivers confirms exit as Clippers coach

    Doc Rivers confirmed on Twitter that his time as Los Angeles Clippers head coach was over amid reports he had been fired.

    Among the favourites for the NBA title this season, the Clippers sensationally gave up a 3-1 series lead to be eliminated by the Denver Nuggets in the Western Conference semi-finals.

    Rivers arrived at the Clippers in 2013 and led them to the playoffs in six of seven seasons, but never beyond the conference semi-finals.

    The 58-year-old posted on Twitter thanking the team, confirming his exit.

    "Thank you Clipper Nation for allowing me to be your coach and for all your support in helping make this a winning franchise," Rivers wrote.

    "When I took this job, my goals were to make this a winning basketball program, a free agent destination, and bring a championship to this organisation. While I was able to accomplish most of my goals, I won't be able to see them all through.

    "Though it was a disappointing ending to our season, you are right there and I know what this team is capable of accomplishing with your support.

    "Thank you to all the players, coaches, and staff for helping us get here. Most importantly, thank you to the fans. We went through a lot, and I am grateful for my time here."

    Rivers finished with a 356-208 regular-season record at the helm of the Clippers, but was just 27-32 in the playoffs.

  • Premier League clubs record 10 positive coronavirus cases Premier League clubs record 10 positive coronavirus cases

    Premier League clubs recorded 10 positive cases of coronavirus in the latest round of testing.

    The confirmed cases came from a total of 1,595 players and staff tested between September 21 and September 27.

    It is the highest number of positive results for a single week within the 2020-21 season and an increase of seven from the last week's tests.

    The previous highest figure for the season was four, which were recorded between September 7 and 13.

    "Players or club staff who have tested positive will self-isolate for a period of 10 days," the Premier League said in a statement.

    The latest figures include three at West Ham, which were confirmed by the club last Tuesday.

    Manager David Moyes and players Issa Diop and Josh Cullen have all been quarantining following positive tests.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.