Coronavirus: Mark Cuban wants 'White House protocol' before reopening Mavs facility

By Sports Desk May 12, 2020

Mark Cuban will only reopen the Dallas Mavericks' facility when his players can be tested as frequently as White House officials are.

The NBA was suspended in dramatic fashion back in March when it emerged Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert had tested positive for coronavirus.

At the time, the Mavericks were playing the Denver Nuggets, and Cuban learned of the suspension while sat courtside during the game, with his stunned reaction going viral.

However, the NBA is now considering plans to restart the 2019-20 regular season, which was close to a conclusion, with a report on Tuesday suggesting players will be polled for their views.

The NBA has permitted practice facilities to reopen, provided they operate in states that have relaxed stay-at-home rulings, yet Cuban has insisted the Mavs' complex will remain closed regardless of directives from Texas officials.

To reopen it, Dallas' owner wants his players to have access to the level of testing US president Donald Trump and his senior advisors are afforded.

"I'll use the White House protocol," Cuban told The Athletic.

"The way the White House protects the president and vice-president is the way that I want to protect our players and employees, you know?

"We'll just try to just copy what they do as a means of knowing when the time is right. As of now, for all we know, for all we've been informed, anyways, they're testing everybody. And they test their top people on a daily basis.

"And so they have access to the best science, the best information, and so it just makes sense to me that we just copy them."

Asked whether he was optimistic if such testing would be available "in a month, two months", Cuban added: "Yes, absolutely.

"I just trust American exceptionalism, entrepreneurialism spirit and capitalism. You know, we'll figure out a way because we have to."

Related items

  • Pacquiao's camp confirms 2021 McGregor showdown to raise money for COVID-19 victims Pacquiao's camp confirms 2021 McGregor showdown to raise money for COVID-19 victims

    Manny Pacquiao will fight former UFC champion Conor McGregor in 2021 to raise money for victims of coronavirus.

    On Friday, McGregor – who sensationally retired in June – claimed he was set to step into the ring with boxing legend Pacquiao in the Middle East next year.

    Pacquiao's camp confirmed the bout on Saturday, with the 41-year-old's Filipino aide Jayke Joson saying via ESPN: "For the sake of all the Filipino Covid-19 victims, Senator Manny Pacquiao will be fighting UFC superstar Conor McGregor next year.

    "The huge portion of his earnings will proceed to those who are affected nationwide by the pandemic."

    McGregor – who has not fought since his win over Donald Cerrone in January – lost to unbeaten boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August 2017.

    Pacquiao (62-7-2) fought twice last year, winning the WBA (Super) welterweight title by beating Keith Thurman in July 2019.

  • Pogba still not fully fit but will come good for Man Utd - Solskjaer Pogba still not fully fit but will come good for Man Utd - Solskjaer

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says Paul Pogba is still not fully fit but backed the Manchester United midfielder to "get better and better" after the dramatic 3-2 win at Brighton and Hove Albion.

    Pogba did not have a full pre-season with United after testing positive for coronavirus last month.

    The France midfielder was ineffective as the Red Devils slumped to a 3-1 home defeat against Crystal Palace in their first game of the Premier League season last weekend.

    Pogba was taken off midway through the second half of that surprise loss at Old Trafford and was also withdrawn after 65 minutes of a thriller against Brighton at the Amex Stadium on Saturday.

    United boss Solskjaer defended the former Juventus man, after Bruno Fernandes snatched all three points with a penalty 10 minutes into time added on following a VAR check that took place after the final whistle had blown.

    Solskjaer said of Pogba: "He missed a lot of pre-season because of his illness. He's not had internationals or the friendly against Villa.

    "The two 65 minutes he's had will help him along and he'll just get better and better."

    Brighton hit the woodwork five times and had a penalty decision overturned but looked to have earned a point through Solly March before the late twist.

  • Adebayo takes blame for Heat's Game 5 loss to Celtics Adebayo takes blame for Heat's Game 5 loss to Celtics

    Bam Adebayo took the blame for the Miami Heat's Game 5 defeat to the Boston Celtics on Friday, though Jimmy Butler did not agree with his assessment.

    The Heat failed to close out the Eastern Conference finals as they blew a 12-point lead to lose 121-108, meaning their series advantage was cut to 3-2 ahead of Game 6 on Sunday.

    Adebayo, who played with a sleeve on his left arm after supposedly suffering an injury late in Game 4, contributed 13 points on 5-for-11 shooting, eight rebounds and eight assists but felt he lacked intensity on the defensive end.

    "I played like s***. Bottom line. I put that game on me. It's not my team-mates' fault, it's not my coaches' fault, it's me. I missed too many shots I should have made. Put that one on me," said Adebayo.

    "I wasn't being the defensive anchor that I should have been. I don't think I was communicating fast enough. I feel like I was a step behind today.

    "I got to be better. That's the bottom line. That's it. There's no excuses to this ... this game is on me. I played terrible and that can't happen."

    Butler insisted the defeat was "on everybody" and said he would attempt to lift Adebayo's spirits ahead of Game 6. 

    "It's not [on Adebayo]. It's on everybody. He does so much for us that it could feel like that at times, but it's definitely not on him. It's on us as a whole," said Butler. 

    "We all understand that because nobody was playing the way we're supposed to play, the way we have to play in order for us to win. Nobody. And for him to say that, I respect it, I love him for it. But he can't do it by himself – we've got to be there with him. 

    "I will [speak to him] but I think he knows you can't get stuck on this game now. We learn from it, it's something of the past. But we're going to need him to be who he is on Sunday. 

    "We need everybody to be that way. We're gonna watch film, we're gonna learn from it, not saying we already don't know what went wrong, but we'll be ready to go. We will fix it." 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.