Yona Knight-Wisdom scores confidence-boosting win at Scottish nationals

By December 06, 2019

Yona Knight-Wisdom got his 2019/2020 season off to a stellar start when he won the three-metre springboard at the Scottish National Championships at The Royal Commonwealth Pool in Edinburgh, Scotland on Friday.

Knight-Wisdom, who hopes he will be wearing his Jamaica colours in Tokyo, Japan next summer, scored 424.55 points to take the gold medal.

Jordan Houlden (404.35) from the Sheffield Diving Club in England and James Heatley (402.05), Knight-Wisdom’s training partner, finished second and third, respectively.

Naturally, the 2019 Pan Am Games silver-medallist was chuffed about getting off to such a positive start.

“It’s always nice to win a competition, a big confidence booster and a really good score for this time of year! Count wait for my next opportunity to compete!” he told Sportsmax.TV afterwards.

However, the 1.9m tall, 24-year-old diver revealed that he did not get off to the best start on Friday.

“I started off with a nervy and shaky preliminary in which I scored 363.80, way off the kind of scores I’m aiming for,” he confessed while also explaining that finding out how much he had improved during the offseason was his primary objective.

 “Of course, I always want to dive well, but for me, this competition was not about the result or the performance, it was just about learning where I’m at and seeing what, if anything, needs to be tweaked or changed as we go into 2020.

“With that being said, for me, the preliminary performance wasn’t good enough and I’m unsatisfied with that, but what I was able to do in the final was actually execute my dives with almost the correct technique that I’ve been working so hard on so far this season with my coach Jenny.”

Notwithstanding the disappointment with his early-round execution, Knight-Wisdom could not deny how sweet it was to come away with the win.

“Taking the gold medal with a decent score gives me a whole heap of confidence going into the new year and also has shown me that what we’ve been working on every day in training is proving effective,” he said. “I just need to continue on the same path and look after my body. This is just a glimpse into what can be achieved.”

He will go for another medal in the one-metre dive on Saturday.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Six Nations confirms tournament will be completed in October Six Nations confirms tournament will be completed in October

    Six Nations has confirmed the tournament will be completed in October and guidance on potential spectator attendance will follow "in due course".

    The World Rugby Council last week approved for Ireland to face Italy on October 24, with the final round of matches taking place a week later.

    Ireland will stage bottom side Italy at the Aviva Stadium in a showdown that should have taken place on March 7, but was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Wales will take on Scotland on October 31 at a venue that has not yet been confirmed, with England travelling to face Italy at Stadio Olimpico and France doing battle with Ireland at Stade de France on the same day. 

    England were above France on points difference when the vast majority of sport worldwide was halted in March and it remains to be seen whether fans will be allowed in to see the conclusion of the competition.

    A Six Nations statement released on Wednesday said: "In rescheduling these matches, the health and safety of players, associated staff and supporters has been at the forefront of our thinking.

    "We remain in close contact with all relevant authorities across the respective jurisdictions to ensure these matches take place in a safe environment and we will announce further details of health and safety protocols and guidance on spectator attendance in due course."

    Six Nations chief executive Ben Morel said: "Public health remains the number one priority and while we must continue to be vigilant and cognisant of the dynamic and fast changing external environment, we are nonetheless extremely pleased to be moving in the right direction."

  • Six Nations could be completed as part of World Rugby plans Six Nations could be completed as part of World Rugby plans

    World Rugby has proposed the introduction of a temporary international window before the end of 2020, a move that would allow this year's Six Nations to be completed.

    The governing body's executive committee is keen for international fixtures to be staged again to aid the sport as it tries to deal with the off-field impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

    Having held discussions with all international and club competitions, as well as players and national unions, World Rugby wants a window that will start in late October and run into December.

    The revised calendar would allow for the 2020 Six Nations tournament - suspended due to the COVID-19 outbreak in March - to stage the final four fixtures still outstanding, followed by Test matches in Europe organised by the individual unions.

    As for the Rugby Championship, the 2020 edition would take place in one country over a six-week period spanning November 7 to December 12.

    "Recognising the importance of a balanced and shared compromise among all stakeholders, a temporary international window between October 24 and December 5 has been recommended," said a statement from World Rugby.

    "In the north, this window will accommodate the postponed men's and women's Six Nations matches at the end of October, a rest weekend on November 7 and a programme of international matches involving the Six Nations and invited teams hosted in Europe from November 14 through to December 5."

    With the Rugby Championship, "special" measures would be put in place to cope with travel restrictions, while the changes to the schedule allows leading players to be available for their clubs.

    "With COVID-19 restrictions continuing to impact international travel and borders across southern hemisphere unions, on an exceptional basis the Rugby Championship 2020 will be hosted in full in a single country over a reduced six-week period between November 7 and December 12," the statement continued.

    "Special measures will be implemented to deal with any government-required quarantine period prior to the start of the competition.

    "The rescheduling of the domestic, European and international calendars will accommodate the ability for the professional clubs to have access to their star southern hemisphere international players for the completion of the postponed and rescheduled 2019-20 seasons at a time in which they would have ordinarily been on international duty in August and September."

    The recommendations will need to receive approval at next week's meeting of the World Rugby Council.

  • World Rugby not interested in 2021 'Coronavirus Cup of World Rugby' World Rugby not interested in 2021 'Coronavirus Cup of World Rugby'

    World Rugby has ruled out the possibility of holding an international invitational tournament in the United Kingdom and Ireland in 2021 to provide relief following the coronavirus pandemic.

    Former Rugby Football Union chief executive Francis Baron had proposed the one-off 16-team competition to raise money "for keeping the game of rugby alive around the world", with sport suspended in recent months due to the global crisis.

    The event, held in the UK in order to avoid disrupting France's 2023 Rugby World Cup preparations, would see 31 matches across June and July and prompt the postponement of the British and Irish Lions' tour of South Africa.

    The suggested tournament - dubbed the 'Coronavirus Cup of World Rugby' as Baron revealed his plan to the Telegraph - would reportedly aim to bring in up to £250million to support the sport as it recovers from the pandemic.

    However, the  idea has been dismissed by governing body World Rugby.

    A statement read: "World Rugby notes a proposal by former RFU CEO Francis Baron suggesting the organisation of a major international rugby event in the UK in 2021 to alleviate the impact of COVID-19 on global rugby.

    "World Rugby does not intend to pursue such a proposal.

    "All stakeholders continue to progress productive discussions regarding the immediate global COVID-19 financial relief strategy and international rugby calendar optimisation, both of which will further the success of Rugby World Cup 2023 in France."

    World Rugby has already postponed all July Tests and set aside a $100million relief fund in a bid to assist those struggling the most.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.