Super League investigating rainbow flag claim at Folau debut

By Sports Desk February 16, 2020

Super League is investigating a claim from a Castleford Tigers fan that they were asked to remove a rainbow flag during Israel Folau's debut for Catalans Dragons.

Folau scored an early try on his first rugby league outing since 2010, helping the Dragons defeat Castleford 36-18 in Perpignan on Saturday.

It was Folau's first appearance since he was sacked by Rugby Australia (RA) last May for posting homophobic comments on social media.

A Tigers supporter at the venue revealed on Twitter they had been told they were not allowed a rainbow flag, which represents a symbol of LGBT pride.

A widely reported Super League statement read: "Everyone should have the right to respectfully express their views. We are investigating.

"We will receive a full report by the end of this weekend and have more details on Monday."

A Dragons spokesperson added: "Rainbow flags are not banned at our club. It is not forbidden. We are gathering more information about what happened."

Catalans' signing of Folau sparked plenty of controversy and Super League clubs voted to have "greater authority to stop controversial signings" earlier this month.

Folau reached a financial settlement with RA in December before switching codes to pen a one-year deal with the Dragons.

Catalans head coach Steve McNamara praised the player for handling the scrutiny surrounding him on debut.

"Well I've just congratulated him on that [media scrutiny] downstairs because it is different," he said. 

"It is different for this area, this region to have journalists from around the world chasing players around in cars and following people. 

"All the other bits that go with it, for the players to deal with that and come up with a performance like that is a credit to them.

"For him to play his first game of rugby league and only train for 10 days with the team in total, to come up with that sort of defensive performance really gives us encouragement going forward with him.

"I knew he was ready to play. I said I wouldn't risk him if he wasn't. There was no way we were going to do that just because it was a home game."

Related items

  • Bateman heading back to Wigan Warriors Bateman heading back to Wigan Warriors

    John Bateman will be back in Super League next year after signing a long-term deal to rejoin Wigan Warriors.

    The England international departed Wigan after helping them to Grand Final glory over Warrington Wolves in 2018, opting to continue his career in the NRL as he moved to Canberra Raiders.

    Bateman impressed in his debut season Down Under too, becoming a key part of a Raiders squad that lost to Sydney Roosters in the Grand Final as he was named Dally M Second Rower of the Year.

    A shoulder injury has prevented him from playing so far this season and Canberra recently confirmed they had agreed to release the 26-year-old from the final year of his contract.

    While linked with Canterbury Bulldogs, Bateman is instead heading back to his homeland in 2021. Wigan confirmed his return on Friday, the forward signing a four-year deal with a further option for a fifth season.

    "I'm very happy to be returning to Wigan on a long-term contract," Bateman said. 

    "On a personal level, some of the best times of my life have been in a Wigan shirt and I can't wait to return, to play and make some more memories. 

    "It's been a tough decision but to be back to Wigan, to be at home with my little girl, my mum and the rest of my family is something I can't wait to experience once again.

    "I still have plenty of unfinished business with the Raiders and my focus now is to get myself back on the pitch as soon as possible and put myself in the frame for selection."

    Wigan had first refusal on Bateman if he decided to move back to Super League - an option they were delighted to take up to secure "one of the best players in the world", according to executive director Kris Radlinski.

    "Wigan are thrilled to be bringing John back to the DW Stadium," Radlinski said.

    "John is one of the best players in the world. He has the respect of players and coaches in both hemispheres and is a natural born competitor and leader.

    "We've been extremely proud to see him take the NRL by storm in 2019 and we've always looked forward to welcoming him back to Wigan when the opportunity presented itself.

    "We had an agreement with him that, should he come back to Super League, then we would have first option on him. As he's entering the prime years of his playing career, I think it's a real coup for Super League to have a player of his calibre return to the competition."

  • Sivo stars in Eels rout of Cowboys, home comforts for Raiders Sivo stars in Eels rout of Cowboys, home comforts for Raiders

    Maika Sivo scored four tries as NRL leaders Parramatta Eels hammered North Queensland Cowboys 42-4 and there was a happy homecoming for Canberra Raiders on Friday.

    The Eels showed they can cope without the injured Mitchell Moses at Bankwest Stadium, where Sivo starred and Clinton Gutherson also tormented the sorry Cowboys.

    Tries from Michael Jennings, Sivo and Waqa Blake put Brad Arthur's side in command before Tom Opacic crossed to put the Cowboys on the board late in the first half.

    North Queensland were unable to contain the leaders after the break, Jai Field touching down and Gutherson providing a third assist for Sivo with a pinpoint cutout pass before the wing completed his treble in the corner.

    Sivo was handed a fourth try on a plate with eight minutes to play and full-back Gutherson took his tally with the boot to 14 points with a late penalty as the Eels moved two points clear at the summit.

    Canberra responded to back-to-back defeats with a 22-16 defeat of St George-Illawarra Dragon in their first match at GIO Stadium since the resumption.

    The Raiders, who this week confirmed John Bateman will leave at the end of the season, scored 22 points - 10 coming from Jarrod Croker - without reply but had to withstand a Dragons fightback to move up to fifth.

    George Williams was among the four Raiders try-scorers, but their victory came at a cost as Iosia Soliola, Elliott Whitehead and Emre Guler joined the injury list.

  • In-demand Folau signs new Catalans deal In-demand Folau signs new Catalans deal

    Former Australia international Israel Folau has signed a new one-year deal with Catalans Dragons.

    Folau made a controversial move to Catalans in January after his Rugby Australia contract was terminated for a "high-level breach", the 31-year-old having posted hell awaits "drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters" on Instagram.

    The centre, who scored a try on his Super League debut, attracted interest from the NRL and Top 14 but has decided to remain at the Gilbert Brutus Stadium.

    Folau said: "Me and my family are very excited to stay on at the club for season 2021.

    "We're very grateful for the opportunity that Bernard Guasch [Catalans chairman] and the Dragons have given me. I'm looking forward to working hard and achieving great success on the field with my team-mates and this great club."

    Guasch expressed his delight that Folau wants to repay the faith the Perpignan-based club have shown in him.

    "His decision to stay at the club for one more season honours him. Once the media storm that followed his signing passed, and after only three Super League appearances, he received many requests and became a highly demanded player," he said.

    "But he feels gratitude for the club.  He shown he is a respectful player since he arrived at the club. He will be 32 years old at the end of his new contract and we will then think about the rest of his career."

    There has been no Super League action since March due to the coronavirus pandemic, but the season is due to resume on August 2.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.