Folau scores debut try as Tomkins inspires Catalans Dragons

By Sports Desk February 15, 2020

Israel Folau scored a try six minutes into his Super League debut and the outstanding Sam Tomkins grabbed a hat-trick as Catalans Dragons beat Castleford Tigers 36-18 on Saturday.

All eyes were on Folau in his first rugby league match for a decade after he switched codes last month to make a controversial move to Perpignan.

Folau said he considered retirement after being sacked by Rugby Australia last May for posting homophobic comments on social media before joining Catalans in January.

The dual-code international, starting at centre, made up for lost time by rising to take a high kick from James Maloney and dotting down after Tomkins had already opened the scoring at Stade Gilbert Brutus.

Folau showed his strength in the air, holding another up-and-under following a juggling act, but came down just short of the line as Catalans continued to show plenty of attacking threat.

Samisoni Langi touched down for a third Dragons try, which Maloney converted, but tries from Derrell Olpherts and Cheyse Blair meant the Tigers were very much in it when trailing 20-12 at half-time.

Castleford were unable to contain Tomkins, though, the livewire full-back finishing nine minutes into the second half before darting inside to seal his treble towards the end of the contest.

Fouad Yaha also went over for Steve McNamara's men and Folau lasted the distance, showing some eye-catching touches in a promising start to his return to the 13-a-side format.

However, the 30-year-old will know he may not be in for such a warm welcome when Catalans travel to face Hull FC in their next outing.

Related items

  • NRL cancels registrations of Bulldogs duo for 'inexcusable' behaviour NRL cancels registrations of Bulldogs duo for 'inexcusable' behaviour

    The NRL has cancelled the registrations of Canterbury Bulldogs duo Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera for "a very serious breach of the code of conduct".

    The move comes after the governing body's show-cause process established significant misconduct by both players ahead of a trial match in Port Macquarie on February 29.

    According to a statement from the Bulldogs, who consequently cancelled Okunbor and Harawira-Naera's contracts, the victims of the pair's misconduct were young women.

    NRL CEO Todd Greenberg confirmed the sanction in a strongly worded statement on Wednesday. 

    "The behaviour of both players was inexcusable and a very serious breach of the code of conduct," he said. 

    "The game will not tolerate such conduct and as such both players have had their registrations cancelled. 

    "This decision should send a very clear message to all players of our stance on such behaviour."

    A Bulldogs statement added: "An important part of the role of being a professional rugby league player is to promote the game and act as an ambassador for your club and the code.

    "There can be no tolerance for any abuse of the privileged status the game affords its leading players.

    "The consequences of this matter have been serious and far-reaching and protecting the welfare of the young women involved has been a priority for us since we were first alerted to this issue."

     

  • Coronavirus: Masoe 'gutted' to be leaving hospital before he is ready Coronavirus: Masoe 'gutted' to be leaving hospital before he is ready

    Hull KR co-captain Mose Masoe is "gutted" to have been told he must return home from hospital prematurely to make room for patients suffering from the coronavirus.

    Masoe suffered a career-ending spinal injury in a pre-season friendly in January.

    The Samoa international has made great progress with his recovery, but was informed on Monday that he must leave Pinderfields Hospital this week amid the COVID-19 crisis.

    Masoe says he is not ready to be discharged and warned people who are not obeying government lockdown rules that they should understand the consequences of their actions.

    He told the club's official website: "They've got to clear out a lot of wards to get in the people who have coronavirus so a lot of us have to go home.

    "I'm not really ready to go home at all. It will be nice to get home so I can spend some time with my kids but there's a lot of things I can't do myself, like going to the toilet and things like that. I don't want to put a burden on my missus.

    "We just got the news this morning so we're still in the dark. When you get a spinal injury we're at a high risk. A lot of people forget our immune systems drop.

    "One: they're worried about us catching it while we're in here because the hospital is getting fuller and two: they're trying to clear out the wards for people with coronavirus.

    "We need people to stay home so we can get back into the hospital to do rehab. People need to stop being selfish because we've felt the effects already.

    "It's the first time in the world you can save lives by just staying home watching TV or playing PlayStation. That’s my frustration with people who aren't listening.

    "My wife is pregnant so they've all been staying home and she's only going out to get food. They've been doing the right thing and staying away. I haven't seen them for two weeks.

    "We knew we had to do that because it's safer for everyone. We both thought it was the best thing to do.

    "I'm gutted to be going home because I wanted to keep my progression going. The next step was to go from parallel bars to a walking frame to crutches and then you can pretty much walk by yourself."

  • Coronavirus: NRL to pay clubs 40 million AUD amid COVID-19 crisis Coronavirus: NRL to pay clubs 40 million AUD amid COVID-19 crisis

    The NRL will deliver a 40 million Australian dollars rescue package to all 16 clubs to help with operating costs amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    The league was postponed through just two rounds on March 23 due to the COVID-19 crisis, which has brought sport to a standstill across the world.

    Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) chair Peter V'landys and NRL CEO Todd Greenberg announced the revised financial plan – which provides clubs with the capacity to survive the financial year with either a remodelled 20-week competition or no games – on Monday, with monthly grant payments to teams between April and October.

    The NRL will also reduce its operating costs by 53 per cent, including a 95 per cent reduction in staffing levels during the shutdown period and a 25 per cent cut in executive salaries.

    Meanwhile, the NRL has proposed a funding model for player payments to the Rugby League Players Association (RLPA).

    "We have a consolidated plan and working with the clubs and the players, are united in our efforts to do all we can to protect rugby league," V'landys said. 

    "We had no option but to stop the competition in the wake of advice from our Biosecurity and Pandemic expert but remain optimistic that the season will restart as quickly as possible, ideally by July 1.

    "If that isn't possible, then we need to be prepared for that option as well and are making the tough financial decisions now to reduce costs to ensure we get through this crisis."

    Greenberg added: "We are working together to achieve the best outcome in the short, and long term. We must use this opportunity to reset the game's costs and overall structure.

    "These measures will put the game in the best position to rebound strongly from the pandemic."

    Globally, there have been more than 33,980 deaths and over 723,000 confirmed cases.

    In Australia, at least 17 people have died from coronavirus, with more than 4,100 cases.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.