Stormers continue to impress, Jaguares fall to Hurricanes

By Sports Desk February 08, 2020

The Stormers continued their strong start to the Super Rugby season, while the Jaguares were undone late by the Hurricanes on Saturday.

Coming off a 27-0 victory over the Hurricanes, the Stormers again held their opposition scoreless, beating the Bulls 13-0.

Tries either side of half-time from Siyabonga Ntubeni and Seabelo Senatla saw the Stormers past the Bulls in Cape Town.

The Stormers top the South African Conference, while the Bulls are bottom after falling to back-to-back defeats to begin their season.

Jamie Booth's 78th-minute try helped the Hurricanes past the Jaguares 26-23 in Buenos Aires.

The Jaguares led throughout the second half and were 23-12 up with just 15 minutes remaining at Jose Amalfitani Stadium.

But Alex Fidow went over before Booth's try lifted the Hurricanes to their first win of the season, handing the Jaguares – runners-up last year – their first defeat.

The Reds suffered their second loss in as many games, going down to the Lions 27-20 as Tyrone Green scored two tries in the opening 16 minutes.

Related items

  • Rugby Australia reports provisional deficit of 9.4 million AUD for 2019 Rugby Australia reports provisional deficit of 9.4 million AUD for 2019

    Rugby Australia (RA) reported a provisional deficit of 9.4 million Australian dollars in 2019 after holding its annual general meeting on Monday.

    The meeting was held via video conference and RA was unable to provide full financial accounts due to uncertainty because of the coronavirus pandemic.

    RA said it operated at a loss in 2019, as it expected, in a Rugby World Cup year and due to fewer domestic Test matches.

    Increased expenditure in community rugby, high performance and marketing and corporate, including the Israel Folau settlement, led to its deficit.

    RA chief executive Raelene Castle last year labelled reports the governing body paid Folau eight million AUD after his sacking as "wildly inaccurate".

    "These are unprecedented and extremely uncertain times for our world, not only our sport with the global pandemic of COVID-19," RA chairman Paul McLean said in a statement.

    "To put it simply, there is no way of knowing what damage this crisis will have on our game, or for how long it will continue to impact us.

    "It has forced us to make some extremely difficult decisions, and there will be even harder decisions to come as we continue to navigate the implications of the virus on the game's finances.

    "It was important for us today to review the year and reflect on our learnings from 2019, however the uncertainty that we are facing regarding our immediate future naturally led the discussion at the meeting."

  • Coronavirus: Ewels denies Bath player revolt over pay cuts Coronavirus: Ewels denies Bath player revolt over pay cuts

    Bath captain Charlie Ewels has slammed reports suggesting the club's players revolted after being asked to take a pay cut due to financial pressures caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

    Earlier this week, chief executive Tarquin McDonald announced Bath had asked players and staff to take a 25 per cent cut, with several other Premiership sides taking similar measures.

    Sunday's edition of The Rugby Paper suggested Bath players were planning to reject the request, something England lock Ewels rejected.

    "You might have seen the front page of The Rugby Paper today and if you did, given what we are all experiencing at this time, it would be fair if you felt a sense of disbelief or even disgrace at the headline which reads 'Bath stars revolt over pay cuts'," Ewels wrote in an open letter to Bath supporters.

    "As captain of our club, I can categorically say that these reports are not true, and as a playing group, we are not in revolt against our club. In fact, it's quite the opposite, we wish to work with the club through this extremely challenging time so we can get back to where we all want to be, playing rugby at the Rec again.  

    "Everyone at Bath Rugby is committed to working through this together, and the players within the squad that I am fortunate enough to serve as captain are no different. We play rugby for a living and we understand that if we are not playing games, then there is no money coming in. It is a difficult time for everyone at the club, however, we are all on this journey together.

    "We as players understand everything happening across the globe is having a huge impact, and that impact is reaching far beyond us. I can say that I 100 per cent support the principle of the pay cuts, as do the majority of players at the club, believing they are what is right to guide the club through this tough period.

    "Like players at all other clubs, we have been guided by the advice of our union the RPA during this hugely uncertain time. We are seeking answers to some specific questions regarding players on lower salaries and players coming to the end of their contracts.

    "However, we are discussing these questions openly and transparently with Stuart [Hooper, director of rugby] and Tarquin and I know we will find the right answers in due course. We will do what is right for the future of our people, our club and our game." 

  • Coronavirus: Foster agrees big pay cut, doubts All Blacks will play in July Coronavirus: Foster agrees big pay cut, doubts All Blacks will play in July

    New Zealand head coach Ian Foster has agreed to a "big" cut in his salary during the coronavirus pandemic.

    Foster confirmed he and his fellow coaches have already reached an agreement with New Zealand Rugby, while discussions with players are also at an advanced stage.

    "Our coaching group has definitely taken a big cut," Foster said to Newstalk ZB.

    "That's already been agreed to - with rugby when there's no games, there's no revenue, and that's a tough thing. There's been a lot of shaving of the programmes inside and what it's also come down to is cutting.

    "It's a different sort of process for players but I know they're willing to go into that space too.

    "Theirs is a more complex [situation] - but it's a given and they understand that. It's just a matter of working it through so all the different levels of players are dealt with fairly.

    "I haven't heard one player yet who doesn't accept that it's going to happen. There's a real willingness of those involved in the game to get behind this and do whatever it takes to make sure [the game] survives."

    Foster believes the three home Test matches scheduled for July, two against Wales and another against Scotland, are unlikely to go ahead.

    He wants the All Blacks players to maintain a base level of fitness, though conceded a "short period" would still be needed after the lockdown to up their levels to full match readiness.

    "If you look at the probability, there's a reasonably good chance that international travel and borders won't be down across the world at that point, so in that case the All Blacks won't be playing in July,” he added.

    "[If we keep players at peak fitness] they'll just blow out mentally and get really frustrated with that because there’s so much uncertainty.

    "We want the players to settle down then we'll start expecting fitness levels to be at a certain point that when the lockdown finishes and we do start to think about a starting point for rugby again."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.