Frustrated Pivac labels Wales mistakes 'unacceptable'

By Sports Desk February 08, 2020

Wayne Pivac acknowledged Wales had conceded an "unacceptable" level of turnovers after he suffered his first defeat as head coach against Ireland in the Six Nations.

Ireland recorded a 24-14 bonus-point victory in Dublin on Saturday which ended Wales' hopes of winning consecutive Grand Slams.

An error-strewn display saw the visitors make 17 handling errors and Pivac admitted their opponents were worthy winners, Tomos Williams and Justin Tipuric having scored his side's only tries.

"There were just too many turnovers when we were in good positions on the field," Pivac said.

"We turned the ball over eight times through handling, that is unacceptable at this level of the game.

"There were inaccuracies in their 22 and we let them off the hook a couple of times. The difference was when they got down there they were very accurate and scored the tries that we weren't able to.

"We have got to be very accurate in our passing game, it's something we will need to go away and work on. You are not able to build that constant pressure which Ireland were able to do when they scored a couple of their tries.

"Some of the handling errors, we will go and look at them. They weren't always under pressure. Some of it was skill execution. But the Irish deserved to win this game."

Wales centre Hadleigh Parkes had a try disallowed by the TMO in the second half when he just lost control of the ball as he stretched for the try-line.

Pivac added: "It was a big decision, but the decision was right. He didn't have control, so we didn't get rewarded with the points.

"It wasn't through a lack of effort. With 20 minutes to go, it's game on at that point if it's scored."

Ahead of their next clash at home to France, Wales have fitness concerns over in-form wing Josh Adams, who left the match in the first half, while fly-half Dan Biggar came off early in the second period.

Biggar failed a head injury assessment, a fate he also suffered twice at the Rugby World Cup.

"Dan failed a HIA so he'll go through the normal protocol there," said Pivac. "Josh had a knock to a hip so he will be getting that checked."

And he added of the defeat: "It's an opportunity for us to have a look at our game. We were put under pressure and we will see where we have to work harder to make sure we get those things right for the next match.

"It is a tournament and we've got another three matches to look forward to. We'll be working very hard to get the areas right that we need to so we can put on a better performance next time around.

"So we have to go away and work hard at our game and make sure we are a little bit better in those areas for the French game."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Ewels denies Bath player revolt over pay cuts Coronavirus: Ewels denies Bath player revolt over pay cuts

    Bath captain Charlie Ewels has slammed reports suggesting the club's players revolted after being asked to take a pay cut due to financial pressures caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

    Earlier this week, chief executive Tarquin McDonald announced Bath had asked players and staff to take a 25 per cent cut, with several other Premiership sides taking similar measures.

    Sunday's edition of The Rugby Paper suggested Bath players were planning to reject the request, something England lock Ewels rejected.

    "You might have seen the front page of The Rugby Paper today and if you did, given what we are all experiencing at this time, it would be fair if you felt a sense of disbelief or even disgrace at the headline which reads 'Bath stars revolt over pay cuts'," Ewels wrote in an open letter to Bath supporters.

    "As captain of our club, I can categorically say that these reports are not true, and as a playing group, we are not in revolt against our club. In fact, it's quite the opposite, we wish to work with the club through this extremely challenging time so we can get back to where we all want to be, playing rugby at the Rec again.  

    "Everyone at Bath Rugby is committed to working through this together, and the players within the squad that I am fortunate enough to serve as captain are no different. We play rugby for a living and we understand that if we are not playing games, then there is no money coming in. It is a difficult time for everyone at the club, however, we are all on this journey together.

    "We as players understand everything happening across the globe is having a huge impact, and that impact is reaching far beyond us. I can say that I 100 per cent support the principle of the pay cuts, as do the majority of players at the club, believing they are what is right to guide the club through this tough period.

    "Like players at all other clubs, we have been guided by the advice of our union the RPA during this hugely uncertain time. We are seeking answers to some specific questions regarding players on lower salaries and players coming to the end of their contracts.

    "However, we are discussing these questions openly and transparently with Stuart [Hooper, director of rugby] and Tarquin and I know we will find the right answers in due course. We will do what is right for the future of our people, our club and our game." 

  • Coronavirus: Foster agrees big pay cut, doubts All Blacks will play in July Coronavirus: Foster agrees big pay cut, doubts All Blacks will play in July

    New Zealand head coach Ian Foster has agreed to a "big" cut in his salary during the coronavirus pandemic.

    Foster confirmed he and his fellow coaches have already reached an agreement with New Zealand Rugby, while discussions with players are also at an advanced stage.

    "Our coaching group has definitely taken a big cut," Foster said to Newstalk ZB.

    "That's already been agreed to - with rugby when there's no games, there's no revenue, and that's a tough thing. There's been a lot of shaving of the programmes inside and what it's also come down to is cutting.

    "It's a different sort of process for players but I know they're willing to go into that space too.

    "Theirs is a more complex [situation] - but it's a given and they understand that. It's just a matter of working it through so all the different levels of players are dealt with fairly.

    "I haven't heard one player yet who doesn't accept that it's going to happen. There's a real willingness of those involved in the game to get behind this and do whatever it takes to make sure [the game] survives."

    Foster believes the three home Test matches scheduled for July, two against Wales and another against Scotland, are unlikely to go ahead.

    He wants the All Blacks players to maintain a base level of fitness, though conceded a "short period" would still be needed after the lockdown to up their levels to full match readiness.

    "If you look at the probability, there's a reasonably good chance that international travel and borders won't be down across the world at that point, so in that case the All Blacks won't be playing in July,” he added.

    "[If we keep players at peak fitness] they'll just blow out mentally and get really frustrated with that because there’s so much uncertainty.

    "We want the players to settle down then we'll start expecting fitness levels to be at a certain point that when the lockdown finishes and we do start to think about a starting point for rugby again."

  • Cheika still choked by Australia's failure to land trophy targets in his reign Cheika still choked by Australia's failure to land trophy targets in his reign

    Michael Cheika admitted he vacated the Australia hotseat with deep regret at failing to achieve his personal targets.

    The Wallabies were Rugby World Cup finalists under Cheika's leadership in 2015, and recognition for that achievement came when the Sydney native landed World Rugby's Coach of the Year award.

    However, last year's World Cup was one of grim failure for Australia, with a 40-16 thrashing by England in the quarter-finals sending Cheika's side out of the tournament.

    It was a jarring loss for Cheika, who soon declared he would stand down as head coach, and the 53-year-old has since changed tack, crossing codes to work with NRL side Sydney Roosters.

    Speaking to Fox Sports, Cheika said: “Am I satisfied in the end? No, because I wanted to win a Bledisloe and win the World Cup and I wasn’t able to do that.

    "That hurts me personally because I really value the supporter on the street and I know that’s what they want."

    Pertinently, he witnessed disappointments reflected in his nearest and dearest.

    “I see it in my own family," Cheika said. "The kids are watching the game, all dressed in their jerseys and then the next morning, if you lose, they’re unhappy."

    A Randwick great, Cheika has also coached Leinster, Stade Francais and the Waratahs in a stellar career.

    Frustrations have been raised by many observers over the relationship between Rugby Australia and the Super Rugby teams, and whether each is acting in the other's best interests.

    Cheika said of his time in charge of the Wallabies: "Considering the circumstances we had going on in Australian rugby in the last five years, we always represented with maximum courage."

    He added: "The Wallabies are a result of our preparations in Super Rugby and they’ve been difficult because we’ve had a lot going on."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.