Six Nations 2020: Farrell hails 'outstanding' Sexton and Irish 'grit'

By Sports Desk February 01, 2020

New Ireland head coach Andy Farrell was in awe of the way captain Johnny Sexton carried his side in his first appearance for club or country in almost two months.

As former assistant Farrell takes on the senior coaching role following Joe Schmidt's post-Rugby World Cup departure, Sexton is now the Ireland skipper after Rory Best retired.

And the Leinster fly-half was at his influential best on Saturday to secure a 19-12 victory at home to Scotland in their Six Nations opener, scoring all of Ireland's points - including the only try of the match.

Sexton had been out of action since a 45-minute shift in the European Champions Cup against Northampton Saints on December 7, and he has played just three times for Leinster in total this season.

Farrell told ITV: "He's not played for a long time, Johnny. It says a lot about a guy when he's passionate about being captain of his country in the Six Nations for the first time.

"He's trained with us for the last 10 days and that's the only real time he's been involved with team rugby, and he goes out and puts a performance in like that. He was outstanding, for me."

Sexton's team-mates did not look quite so convincing in a match that ended following a nervy stand in front of the Ireland try line, but Farrell was delighted with the team's spirit.

"There's always going to be things to work on, things we're trying to implement that are going to take time," he said. "Some of them were good, some of them were bad.

"Decision-making was up and down at times. I thought we looked quite fluent at times, but sometimes we got a little carried away with our decision-making. It's a start.

"But we asked the players all week to make sure they stand for something, and boy did they stand for a bit of grit.

"They were under the pressure in the first half on their own line quite a few times. And then you culminate that with what the last five minutes said about the team, I think it's there for all to see really."

Related items

  • Saracens tie down Maitland despite relegation Saracens tie down Maitland despite relegation

    Sean Maitland has signed a new two-year contract with Saracens despite the club's relegation to the Championship.

    Premiership and European champions Saracens will play in England's second tier next term following their relegation due to salary cap breaches.

    A number of the club's star names have been linked with moves away while the season is suspended due to coronavirus.

    One player who will not be leaving is Scotland wing Maitland, with the 31-year-old – who has scored 29 tries in 73 appearances – agreeing to stay on until at least 2022.

    Director of rugby Mark McCall said: "Sean has made an outstanding contribution to our club over the last four years both on and off the field.

    "He has taken his game to a new level during that time and has had a great influence on some of our younger players.

    "To have a player of Sean's quality and experience commit his future to the club is a huge boost."

    Maitland's contract follows Manu Vunipola agreeing a new deal on Wednesday.

  • England announce 24-man training group ahead of Ireland ODIs England announce 24-man training group ahead of Ireland ODIs

    England have named nine uncapped players in a 24-man training squad ahead of the three-match ODI series against Ireland.

    Paul Collingwood will take charge of the group, which will live and train on-site at the Rose Bowl in Southampton ahead of the series, which starts on July 30.

    Only eight of the players who were part of the 15-man squad that won the 2019 Cricket World Cup are included.

    Seven players – Henry Brookes, Sam Hain, Laurie Evans, Phil Salt, Brydon Carse, Richard Gleeson and Tom Helm – have not represented England in any format.

    Lewis Gregory and Liam Livingstone have previously won Twenty20 caps, while David Willey returns after missing out on last year's World Cup squad.

    Alex Hales, who has not been included in a squad since he tested positive for a recreational drug in April 2019, was left out, with national selector Ed Smith touching on the batsman's omission.

    "I have nothing to add to what Eoin Morgan has said about Alex," Smith told Sky Sports.

    "We know how good a player he is, we know what happened, Eoin has been very clear about his comments and we support that."

    Jonny Bairstow and Moeen Ali were left out of England's squad for the three-Test series against West Indies but are included in the training group, as is Jason Roy.

  • Youngs, Ford, Genge and Taute extend deals with Leicester Tigers Youngs, Ford, Genge and Taute extend deals with Leicester Tigers

    Ben Youngs, George Ford, Ellis Genge and Jaco Taute have all signed new contracts with Leicester Tigers.

    The Premiership club confirmed the new deals for England internationals Youngs and Ford at Welford Road were "long-term".

    Along with England team-mate Genge, who has reportedly extended his contract by a year, scrum-half Youngs and fly-half Ford had each signed previous terms in January.

    South Africa centre Taute, who joined from Munster last year, has also committed his future to the Tigers.

    It means 17 Leicester players have now signed fresh terms despite reports of disputes during talks due to the reduction of the salary cap for the 2021-22 season, with Manu Tuilagi and Telusa Veainu among those to depart.

    Director of rugby Geordan Murphy said seeing the likes of Ford "showing a belief in what we are building here and the vision we have for Leicester Tigers is exciting".

    He added of Youngs: "Ben loves Leicester Tigers and, like all of us at this club, wants to see it get back to where it belongs.

    "He knows there is a tough journey ahead which will take a lot of hard work, on and off the pitch, and has expressed throughout this process that he is committed to whatever it takes."

    Leicester were 11th in the table, with four wins from 13 matches, when the Premiership season was suspended in April due to the coronavirus pandemic, with only Saracens keeping off them bottom as they were deducted 105 points for breaching salary cap regulations.

    The competition is due to resume from August 15.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.