Sgarbi named in Smith's first Italy squad after six-year absence

By Sports Desk January 13, 2020

Italy interim coach Franco Smith has named his first squad as he assesses his options ahead of the Six Nations, with Alberto Sgarbi recalled after a six-year absence.

Smith took charge after Conor O'Shea stepped down following Italy's Rugby World Cup campaign in Japan.

With Italy having taken home the wooden spoon from the last four editions of the Six Nations, former Cheetahs coach Smith has a tough task on his hands.

The most intriguing name in his first squad, which includes 35 players, is Benetton Treviso centre Sgarbi, who last appeared for his country in 2014.

"In the squad we have a mix of experienced and young players who want to establish themselves on the international rugby scene," said Smith, who also named uncapped trio Danilo Fischetti, Niccolo Cannone and Michelangelo Biondelli in his selection.

"Everyone's contribution from the start will be fundamental in order to better prepare for the debut in an increasingly competitive and exciting tournament."

Italy begin this year's Six Nations campaign away to reigning champions Wales on February 1.

Related items

  • Rebels and Reds have to settle for draw after Super Time Rebels and Reds have to settle for draw after Super Time

    There was no separating the Rebels and the Reds after Super Time as they had to settle for an 18-18 draw at Brookvale Oval on Friday. 

    Neither side could force what would have been the first golden-point victory in their second Super Rugby AU match, Reds full-back Bryce Hegarty falling just short with a long-range penalty strike. 

    James O'Connor converted Alex Mafi's try right at the end to force extra time, though they proved to be the last points of the game. 

    Two Matt Toomua penalties gave the Rebels a 6-0 half-time lead, but Filipo Daugunu's try and another O'Connor strike from the tee put the Reds in front. 

    Tries from Reece Hodge and Bill Meakes, the second converted by Toomua, made it advantage Rebels. However, O'Connor reduced the deficit by three before levelling with time almost up after Mafi had crossed. 

  • Saracens tie down Maitland despite relegation Saracens tie down Maitland despite relegation

    Sean Maitland has signed a new two-year contract with Saracens despite the club's relegation to the Championship.

    Premiership and European champions Saracens will play in England's second tier next term following their relegation due to salary cap breaches.

    A number of the club's star names have been linked with moves away while the season is suspended due to coronavirus.

    One player who will not be leaving is Scotland wing Maitland, with the 31-year-old – who has scored 29 tries in 73 appearances – agreeing to stay on until at least 2022.

    Director of rugby Mark McCall said: "Sean has made an outstanding contribution to our club over the last four years both on and off the field.

    "He has taken his game to a new level during that time and has had a great influence on some of our younger players.

    "To have a player of Sean's quality and experience commit his future to the club is a huge boost."

    Maitland's contract follows Manu Vunipola agreeing a new deal on Wednesday.

  • Youngs, Ford, Genge and Taute extend deals with Leicester Tigers Youngs, Ford, Genge and Taute extend deals with Leicester Tigers

    Ben Youngs, George Ford, Ellis Genge and Jaco Taute have all signed new contracts with Leicester Tigers.

    The Premiership club confirmed the new deals for England internationals Youngs and Ford at Welford Road were "long-term".

    Along with England team-mate Genge, who has reportedly extended his contract by a year, scrum-half Youngs and fly-half Ford had each signed previous terms in January.

    South Africa centre Taute, who joined from Munster last year, has also committed his future to the Tigers.

    It means 17 Leicester players have now signed fresh terms despite reports of disputes during talks due to the reduction of the salary cap for the 2021-22 season, with Manu Tuilagi and Telusa Veainu among those to depart.

    Director of rugby Geordan Murphy said seeing the likes of Ford "showing a belief in what we are building here and the vision we have for Leicester Tigers is exciting".

    He added of Youngs: "Ben loves Leicester Tigers and, like all of us at this club, wants to see it get back to where it belongs.

    "He knows there is a tough journey ahead which will take a lot of hard work, on and off the pitch, and has expressed throughout this process that he is committed to whatever it takes."

    Leicester were 11th in the table, with four wins from 13 matches, when the Premiership season was suspended in April due to the coronavirus pandemic, with only Saracens keeping off them bottom as they were deducted 105 points for breaching salary cap regulations.

    The competition is due to resume from August 15.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.