Top 14 leaders Lyon slip up as Pollard's Montpellier debut ends in defeat

By Sports Desk December 21, 2019

Bordeaux Begles will have the chance to move into first place in Top 14 after leaders Lyon slipped up at Castres, while Handre Pollard had a difficult debut for Montpellier.

Lyon suffered their second successive league defeat as they went down 29-12 on Saturday, meaning Bordeaux will be top should they overcome La Rochelle on Sunday.

Depleted to 14 men twice in the first half, Lyon were 12-3 down by the interval, with Castres – who had two men sent to the sin-bin themselves after the break – scoring tries from Geoffrey Palis and Thomas Combezou before running in another two in the second half, Rory Kockott and Jody Jenneker touching down, to wrap up the points.

Montpellier failed to close the gap on the top two, as they were edged out 29-25 by Racing 92.

It was a frustrating day for debutant Pollard, who played a pivotal role in South Africa's Rugby World Cup triumph but has been sidelined with a facial injury, as the fly-half missed two penalties and a conversion.

Toulouse took advantage of Montpellier's defeat by beating struggling Agen 13-8 to move into third place with what was a third straight win.

Elsewhere, Brive and Bayonne shared the points in a 6-6 draw in Saturday's other fixture.

Related items

  • Eddie Jones extends deal to coach England at 2023 Rugby World Cup Eddie Jones extends deal to coach England at 2023 Rugby World Cup

    England coach Eddie Jones has signed a contract extension through until the end of the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

    Jones, 60, took the helm of England in late 2015 and has been rewarded for what has been a successful stint in charge.

    The Australian has overseen 42 wins in 54 Tests as England coach, including leading them to last year's Rugby World Cup final, where they were beaten by South Africa.

    Jones has re-signed through until the end of the Rugby World Cup in 2023, which is due to be hosted by France.

    "The extension is a great honour for me, but in the current environment, it is only right to acknowledge what a difficult time the world is facing," the England coach said.

    "We are all looking forward to a time when we can get back to playing rugby and use the sport as a force for good in bringing people back together.

    "I never thought coming here four years ago I would be doing a second four years, but the circumstances are right.

    "Obviously it is important for the team that we keep improving and my focus will be solely on that."

    Jones' 78 per cent win ratio is the best of any England coach in the nation's history.

    During his tenure, Jones has led England to two Six Nations titles - including a Grand Slam in 2016 - a 3-0 series victory in Australia and an 18-match unbeaten run.

    Jones added: "I am excited about raising the standards again. We have a great team. We set out four years ago to be the best team in the world and unfortunately we missed that by 80 minutes.

    "Now we want to be the team that is remembered as being the greatest team the game has ever seen. It's a big ambition but I believe we are capable of doing it.

    "We have players with an enhanced reputation, we have a team that is expected to do well, so it's a great opportunity for us to keep moving forward."

  • Coronavirus: NZR announces pay cuts, grants for Super Rugby franchises Coronavirus: NZR announces pay cuts, grants for Super Rugby franchises

    New Zealand Rugby (NZR) has announced wage cuts for its staff as it faces up to huge losses as a result of the coronavirus pandemic and confirmed its five Super Rugby franchises will receive grants.

    Reports suggest the governing body could lose out on 100million New Zealand dollars in revenue.

    Chief executive Mark Robinson said NZR staff and its board are taking a 40 per cent cut for at least three months.

    It follows similar measures taken by other top-tier rugby nations.

    "It's an incredibly challenging time, we have fantastic rugby people all around the country at the moment dealing with difficult financial circumstances," Robinson told reporters.

    NZR also confirmed its Super Rugby teams will receive an emergency grant to help ensure they are prepared for when the competition can resume.

    "An emergency NZR grant of $250,000 each is to be made available to all Super Rugby clubs for the next three months which is seen as a critical supplement to other financing options or levers being considered by the clubs," Robinson added.

    "Super Rugby is a vital part of our rugby eco-system and has a solid 25-year track record as a strong and admired rugby competition that has valuable intellectual property and a legacy of world-class rugby.

    "These decisions are about protecting the core capability of the Super Rugby clubs so that they are ready to hit the ground running if Super Rugby resumes later this year, and also be in a position to revive and participate in Super Rugby in whatever shape it takes in 2021 and beyond.

    "The Super Rugby clubs and NZR have also agreed to pause the negotiation of Super Rugby franchise licenses and use this time to review the business principles and governance of the competition so that the future of the clubs is sustainable, and they are match ready."

  • It was pretty scary – Fatialofa opens up on spinal injury horror It was pretty scary – Fatialofa opens up on spinal injury horror

    Michael Fatialofa has opened up on his "traumatising" experience in intensive care and described suffering his serious spine injury as "pretty scary".

    The Worcester Warriors lock sustained a fracture in his C4 vertebrae as well as a spinal contusion, a condition which causes compression on the spine, during the Premiership encounter with Saracens on January 4.

    Fatialofa spent four weeks at St Mary's Hospital in London, three of those in intensive care, before being transferred to a specialist spinal clinic at the Royal Buckinghamshire Hospital.

    Last month, his wife Tatiana posted a video on Instagram of Fatialofa walking unaided, which she described as "a miracle".

    In an interview with 1 NEWS, Fatialofa spoke about those life-changing events.

    "I wasn't even trying to be a hero or anything. I think it was just the perfect mix - my head was in a bad position. His hip was there and it was just one of those things," he said.

    "From my neck down, I couldn't feel anything or move anything.

    "It was pretty scary and I was really short of breath because ... the spinal cord was compressed and anything below the spinal cord is affected, and that includes my lungs, and I was just kind of trying to breathe."

    On being in intensive care, he added: "It's a time that's tough to think about.

    "My room-mates were victims of gun violence and stabbings and I could hear everything going on. Just all the beeping and no sleep. It's something I don't really like thinking about now that I'm past it.

    "I heard some people die next to me. It was quite traumatising. All I could hear was a beeper go off, everyone rush in and then I have a new room-mate the next day."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.