I have no idea where the away box is – Gatland relishing strange Wales farewell

By Sports Desk November 28, 2019

Warren Gatland has joked he does not know how to get to the away coach's box at the Principality Stadium, as he prepares to bid farewell to Wales.

Gatland brought his 12-year tenure as Wales coach to an end with a defeat to New Zealand in the Rugby World Cup third-place play-off, after a 19-16 loss to eventual champions South Africa in the semi-finals.

Fellow New Zealander Wayne Pivac has now taken over, with his first game in charge of the Six Nations champions coming against a Barbarians side coached by Gatland on Saturday in Cardiff.

Acknowledging it will be a bizarre way to say goodbye, Gatland nevertheless said he is relishing going up against his former side, revealing he asked the Barbarians to be their coach for this particular match.

"I have no idea where the away box is. Someone will have to show me so that I do not get lost," Gatland told a news conference after announcing his team for Saturday's match.

"I did not think it was right for it to be my last match with Wales. I was finished after the World Cup and it was a great chance for the new coaching team to come in and get some time with the players to help them build for the Six Nations.

"I thought that was really important and so rather than the Barbarians asking me I had to ask them if I could please coach them against Wales so that I was involved.

"I have enjoyed this week, working with players and coaches for the first time, and it is an opportunity for me to say thank you to the Welsh fans and public for 12 brilliant, amazing years.

"The place has grown on me and I do not think I can lose either way on Saturday, but we are here to play some rugby and give a good performance."

Gatland also added he has not had any contact with his successor, insisting it would be out of place for him to offer any guidance.

"I have not been in contact with Wayne. This is his team now and I have stepped back because it is important that he takes the reins," Gatland said.

"He was at the World Cup for a couple of weeks and had a look. It was funny on Tuesday because I went back to my apartment and drove past when they were training.

"It felt a bit weird so I made sure I did not look out of the car window and my apartment overlooks the ground. I did not watch them train and felt a bit awkward. It was too dark, anyway.

"It is an unusual situation on Saturday but one to look forward to. I am sure both sides will want to play."

Related items

  • Ireland-Italy Six Nations clash called off amid Coronavirus fears Ireland-Italy Six Nations clash called off amid Coronavirus fears

    Ireland's Six Nations clash with Italy in Dublin has been called off amid fears over the spread of the Coronavirus.

    Andy Farrell's side had been due to host Italy at the Aviva Stadium on Saturday March 7 in their penultimate game of the tournament.

    However, the outbreak of the virus in northern Italy had led to calls for the game to be postponed.

    The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) met with the country's minister for health, Simon Harris, on Tuesday and it was determined the game should not go ahead.

    The matches in the Women's Six Nations and the Under-20 Six Nations have also been postponed.

    An IRFU statement read: "The IRFU had a positive meeting with Minister Harris and his advisors today, where we requested a formal instruction as to the staging of the Ireland v Italy international matches over the weekend of 6/8 March.

    "At the outset we made it clear that the IRFU was supportive of the Governments' need to protect public health in relation to the Coronavirus.

    "We were then advised, formally, that The National Public Health Emergency team has determined that the series of matches should not proceed, in the interests of Public Health.

    "The IRFU is happy to comply with this instruction.

    "We will immediately begin to work with our Six Nations partners to look at the possibility of rescheduling the matches and would hope to have an update on this in the coming days."

    Last weekend saw four football matches in Serie A postponed, including Inter's clash with Sampdoria as part of measures to prevent the spread of the virus in Italy.

    Inter's Europa League meeting with Ludogorets will be contested behind closed doors on Thursday.

    Additionally, this weekend's scheduled Pro14 rugby games between Parma-based club Zebre and Ospreys and Benetton Treviso and Ulster will not go ahead.

    Ireland suffered their first defeat of the tournament as they were beaten 24-12 by England at Twickenham last Sunday. 

    They are four points behind leaders France in the table. Italy have lost each of their three games and appear destined for another wooden spoon.

  • Anthony Watson makes England training squad before Wales game Anthony Watson makes England training squad before Wales game

    Anthony Watson could feature for England for the first time in the 2020 Six Nations after he was named in Eddie Jones' squad for their training camp ahead of next week's clash with Wales.

    Watson is yet to appear in this year's championship due to a calf injury, but head coach Jones suggested after the victory over Ireland that the wing could soon return.

    "Anthony's got to do a running session and if he gets through that we'll get him into camp," Jones said.

    And Watson was subsequently included in a 25-man selection on Wednesday as England reconvene for three days of training in Oxford.

    Mark Wilson has likewise been recalled, while George Furbank is involved for rehabilitation purposes after missing the Ireland game, as apprentice Alex Mitchell also links up.

    However, both Mako Vunipola and Luke Cowan-Dickie were not selected due to family reasons.

    Vunipola had travelled to Tonga ahead of Sunday's clash with Ireland and was not expected back in time to face Wales.

    Cowan-Dickie, who scored England's third try in the 24-12 Twickenham success, had been absent previously in the campaign as his girlfriend gave birth to their son seven weeks early.

    England are still in the mix for the Six Nations title, although they trail Grand Slam-chasing France by four points after three games.

  • Wales to be without injured Adams for rest of Six Nations Wales to be without injured Adams for rest of Six Nations

    Wales have confirmed Josh Adams will need surgery on the ankle injury he suffered against France, ruling the wing out for the rest of the Six Nations.

    Adams was hurt during the 27-23 defeat at the Principality Stadium on Saturday and was replaced by Jarrod Evans in the 66th minute.

    The 24-year-old will undergo surgery to repair the damage this week and is expected to be out for three months, meaning he will miss Wales' remaining two fixtures - against England and Scotland - in March.

    In a short statement on their website, the Welsh Rugby Union said it is "envisaged" Adams, who has scored 14 tries in 24 Test appearances, will be back for the latter stages of the Pro14 season with his club, Cardiff Blues.

    Head coach Wayne Pivac will now wait for an update on another of his wing options in George North, who failed a head injury assessment during the home loss to Les Bleus.

    Pivac has not called up a replacement for Adams ahead of the trip to Twickenham on March 7.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.