Head coach pleased with Reggae Warriors display in loss to England

By October 21, 2019

Despite going down to the world-number-two British Knight’s, Reggae Warriors head coach Romeo Monteith said he was pleased with the manner in which the team played against their Tier-1 opponents.

Jamaica was defeated 38-6 in their historic encounter at Headingley but showed that they will be a team to be reckoned with when they suit up for the Rugby League World Cup in 2021.

Jamaica trailed 28-0 at the interval before rousing themselves in the second half.

England winger Greg Minikin scored a hat-trick and Tom Lineham and Toby King also scored as Jamaica trailed 28-0 at the break.

Jamaica staged a rally at the resumption and it needed tries from Lineham and Joe Greenwood to prevent Jamaica from outscoring their hosts in the second half.

Monteith said the performance will serve as an inspiration to the players back home.

“Realistically, we know we can't throw 10 domestic guys in to play against professionals, but we want kids in Kingston and Saint Catherine to be inspired by players they identify with from the island,” he said.

“We will give our domestic players the same chance as our heritage players because come the World Cup in 2021, they will be starting games for us - that's a commitment we have to our members. Today was the beginning of that and I'm really pleased with the outcome.”

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Shaun Wane extends England contract amid NRL interest Shaun Wane extends England contract amid NRL interest

    England head coach Shaun Wane has agreed an extension to his contract until the end of 2022.

    Wane was appointed in February on a deal that was set to expire following the 2021 Rugby League World Cup.

    However, his tenure to date has been disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic, with this year's Ashes series cancelled.

    The Rugby Football League (RFL) is anticipating NRL interest, too, so the 55-year-old's terms have been revisited.

    RFL chief executive Ralph Rimmer said: "Shaun has made a great impression within the RFL and across the sport in general, and I am delighted that he will be staying on beyond the 2021 World Cup.

    "He has proved himself to be both energetic and versatile in difficult times and has adapted to what is in front of him.

    "We are well aware that Shaun has recently attracted the attention of several NRL clubs and wanted to ensure that he had enough security that kept him absolutely focused on the job in hand.

    "Like all of us, Shaun is bitterly disappointed not to be facing the Kangaroos this autumn, but he is not letting this short-term setback stand in the way of his long-term aim to make England the number one side in the world.

    "Shaun's passion for England Rugby League is matched by meticulous planning and preparation, and come autumn 2021 there will not be a better-prepared international side at the World Cup."

    Wane won three Super League Grand Finals as Wigan Warriors boss between 2011 and 2018 in his only previous senior rugby league coaching role.

    Prior to taking the England job this year, he had been working as high performance coach for Scottish Rugby.

  • Sydney Roosters 6-24 Melbourne Storm: Olam at the double as visitors move top of NRL Sydney Roosters 6-24 Melbourne Storm: Olam at the double as visitors move top of NRL

    Justin Olam scored a pair of tries as Melbourne Storm defeated defending premiers Sydney Roosters 24-6 to move to the top of the NRL standings.

    Olam's double came sandwiched between scores from the excellent Jahrome Hughes and Felise Kaufusi, with Ryan Papenhuyzen adding three successful conversions and a penalty.

    The Storm led inside the opening 10 minutes, with Olam then further compounding the home side's misery before Papenhuyzen saw a try ruled out.

    Having lost Lachlan Lam and Mitch Aubusson to ankle and wrist injuries respectively, the Roosters were dealt a further blow when star man Luke Keary was forced off with a rib problem.

    An ambulance had to be called for Keary, with Sydney fearing the hit to his ribs may have caused internal injury.

    There was some consolation for Sydney, as Christian Tuipulotu dived over in the corner for a debut try, but the Storm never looked in danger of letting their lead slip away as they eased to an eighth straight win.

  • McGregor, Dragons to part ways after Eels clash McGregor, Dragons to part ways after Eels clash

    Paul McGregor will leave his post as St George Illawarra Dragons head coach after Friday's NRL clash with Parramatta Eels.

    McGregor took the helm of the Dragons in 2014, but they have made the finals just twice since then.

    The 52-year-old and the club agreed on Thursday that McGregor should leave the position, with assistant Dean Young to be interim head coach for the rest of 2020.

    "I wish to thank the Dragons for allowing me to be head coach over the past seven seasons as well as everyone who has been involved in my journey at this proud club," McGregor said.

    "I approached the club's chief executive Ryan Webb earlier in the week regarding a number of matters and we eventually came to an agreement that this week will be my last as coach of the Dragons.

    "I understand a fresh face and new voice is needed to move the club forward. I hope this decision will provide clarity to the playing group, the entire staff and our passionate Red V members and partners regarding the direction the club is headed.

    "After 25 years with the Illawarra Steelers and St George Illawarra as a player, staff member, captain and coach; I viewed my positions as a series of privileges not obligations.

    "We haven't met performance expectations over the past 18 months, and I take acceptance of responsibility. I had the opportunity to build my team, which we did in 2017 and 2018. Unfortunately, we have not put that same side on the field since for a number of reasons.

    "Dean Young and the team have a fantastic opportunity over the next six weeks to build into the 2021 campaign. Dean deserves this great opportunity to showcase his capabilities in the head coach role."

    Ahead of facing the Eels, the Dragons are 12th in the NRL, six points adrift of eighth-placed Cronulla Sharks.

    Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb thanked McGregor, who represented Australia during his playing career.

    "The decision to part ways with Paul was one that nobody took lightly," Webb said.

    "Paul has had a 25-year association with our club and the joint venture's founding club, the Illawarra Steelers and has shown great passion, integrity, character and a strong work ethic throughout this time. He will forever be a part of the Dragons family.

    "It's important to note that Craig Young excused himself of any decision making pertinent to Paul's departure and Dean's appointment. As such, for as long as Dean remains coach, Craig will take a voluntary leave of absence from the board. 

    "The club will now turn its focus to establishing the crucial process of appointing a new head coach for the 2021 season and beyond."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.