Rugby World Cup 2019: Biggar confident he's 100 per cent fit to play, says Gatland

By Sports Desk October 18, 2019

Dan Biggar is confident he is 100 per cent ready to return to action in Wales' Rugby World Cup quarter-final clash with France, according to Warren Gatland.

Biggar missed Wales' final Pool D match against Uruguay with concussion after suffering head knocks in consecutive matches against Australia and Fiji.

However, the Northampton Saints fly-half has been passed fit to start against France in Oita on Sunday.

It is a decision Gatland insisted has not taken lightly, but the Wales coach affirmed Biggar has no doubts over his fitness.

"We went through, made sure in terms of consulting the right people and making sure that they were aware of everything, getting him scanned, the independent consultant - that was important," said Gatland in a news conference.

"Dan's been fit for three or four days in terms of having passed those [concussion protocols], so we are taking all the proper precautions.

"But he's very confident that he's 100 per cent."

Gatland did, however, concede extra caution will have to be taken with Biggar should he sustain another head injury.

"He's desperate to play," Gatland added.

"We've just got to make sure if it does happen, if he gets a knock in the next few games, the next couple of months, obviously there would probably be a different course of action."

Wales skipper Alun Wyn Jones has also been selected and will join Brian O'Driscoll in third on the all-time list for international Test appearances with his 141st cap.

"It's one chance to stay or you know where you are going," he said of Wales' ambitions for Sunday's clash.

"It's funny because the planning for this has probably been in Warren's head for the last 10 years rather than the last four years, two years, or 18 months.

"He is constantly building and what we have achieved or have not comes down to this moment."

Related items

  • Ireland-Italy Six Nations clash called off amid Coronavirus fears Ireland-Italy Six Nations clash called off amid Coronavirus fears

    Ireland's Six Nations clash with Italy in Dublin has been called off amid fears over the spread of the Coronavirus.

    Andy Farrell's side had been due to host Italy at the Aviva Stadium on Saturday March 7 in their penultimate game of the tournament.

    However, the outbreak of the virus in northern Italy had led to calls for the game to be postponed.

    The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) met with the country's minister for health, Simon Harris, on Tuesday and it was determined the game should not go ahead.

    The matches in the Women's Six Nations and the Under-20 Six Nations have also been postponed.

    An IRFU statement read: "The IRFU had a positive meeting with Minister Harris and his advisors today, where we requested a formal instruction as to the staging of the Ireland v Italy international matches over the weekend of 6/8 March.

    "At the outset we made it clear that the IRFU was supportive of the Governments' need to protect public health in relation to the Coronavirus.

    "We were then advised, formally, that The National Public Health Emergency team has determined that the series of matches should not proceed, in the interests of Public Health.

    "The IRFU is happy to comply with this instruction.

    "We will immediately begin to work with our Six Nations partners to look at the possibility of rescheduling the matches and would hope to have an update on this in the coming days."

    Last weekend saw four football matches in Serie A postponed, including Inter's clash with Sampdoria as part of measures to prevent the spread of the virus in Italy.

    Inter's Europa League meeting with Ludogorets will be contested behind closed doors on Thursday.

    Additionally, this weekend's scheduled Pro14 rugby games between Parma-based club Zebre and Ospreys and Benetton Treviso and Ulster will not go ahead.

    Ireland suffered their first defeat of the tournament as they were beaten 24-12 by England at Twickenham last Sunday. 

    They are four points behind leaders France in the table. Italy have lost each of their three games and appear destined for another wooden spoon.

  • Anthony Watson makes England training squad before Wales game Anthony Watson makes England training squad before Wales game

    Anthony Watson could feature for England for the first time in the 2020 Six Nations after he was named in Eddie Jones' squad for their training camp ahead of next week's clash with Wales.

    Watson is yet to appear in this year's championship due to a calf injury, but head coach Jones suggested after the victory over Ireland that the wing could soon return.

    "Anthony's got to do a running session and if he gets through that we'll get him into camp," Jones said.

    And Watson was subsequently included in a 25-man selection on Wednesday as England reconvene for three days of training in Oxford.

    Mark Wilson has likewise been recalled, while George Furbank is involved for rehabilitation purposes after missing the Ireland game, as apprentice Alex Mitchell also links up.

    However, both Mako Vunipola and Luke Cowan-Dickie were not selected due to family reasons.

    Vunipola had travelled to Tonga ahead of Sunday's clash with Ireland and was not expected back in time to face Wales.

    Cowan-Dickie, who scored England's third try in the 24-12 Twickenham success, had been absent previously in the campaign as his girlfriend gave birth to their son seven weeks early.

    England are still in the mix for the Six Nations title, although they trail Grand Slam-chasing France by four points after three games.

  • Six Nations over for Ireland prop Healy Six Nations over for Ireland prop Healy

    Ireland prop Cian Healy will play no further part in the Six Nations due to a hip injury.

    The Leinster stalwart was withdrawn after suffering the blow during a 24-12 defeat to England at Twickenham on Sunday

    Healy has been ruled out of the clash with Italy at the Aviva Stadium on March 7 and will not face leaders France in Paris on the final day of the tournament.

    Pro14 champions Leinster will be hoping the 32-year-old is available for a European Champions Cup quarter-final against holders Saracens in Dublin on April 4.

    Healy will have to wait to bring up a century of caps, with his appearance against England taking him to 98.

    Will Connors, Max Deegan, Chris Farrell, David Kearney, Luke McGrath and Jack O'Donoghue were on Tuesday released from international duty to play for their provinces this weekend.

    Defeat to the Rugby World Cup runners-up last weekend ended Ireland's hopes of winning a Grand Slam and leaves them level with England, four points adrift of leaders France.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.