Rookie sensation Petaia named in Wallabies' World Cup squad

By Sports Desk August 22, 2019

Uncapped rookie Jordan Petaia has been included in Australia's 31-man squad for the upcoming Rugby World Cup in Japan.

Petaia missed most of the Super Rugby season due to a Lisfranc injury but the exciting 19-year-old back is set to feature at the World Cup, which gets underway on September 20.

The Reds sensation was set to make his debut against Italy last year, however, a hamstring injury delayed his international bow for 2015 World Cup runners-up the Wallabies.

Now, Petaia – the only uncapped player in Michael Cheika's squad – is poised to become the youngest World Cup player in Australia history.

There are not too many surprises in the Wallabies team, though Cheika opted to select just two half-backs in Will Genia and Nic White, with Joe Powell left out and giant lock Will Skelton not on the list.

"We've become a really tight group and it was a very difficult process in picking only 31 players, but I know each player selected will travel to Japan with the full support of those team-mates who won't board the flight," said Cheika, who included Powell, Tom Banks, Liam Wright, Luke Jones and Tatafu Polota-Nau as extended members for the team's pre-World Cup camp and Test against Samoa.

"We have worked really hard at building each week and each game so far this season and play a brand of Rugby that Australia would be proud of and get every player contributing towards the outcome.

"It's also important that we select a squad that will handle the tournament play and our draw in particular at the Rugby World Cup, as well as maintain a strong competition for places in the team.

"These next few weeks are about building and adding that little extra edge as a squad and we'll be working hard to make sure we deliver on the qualities we want people to see when we run out on the field in Japan.

"We have five extra train-on members coming with us to New Caledonia and then we'll return to take on Samoa, who we have had great clashes with in the past."

Australia will face Samoa in Sydney on September 7 before kicking off their World Cup campaign against Fiji on September 21.

The Wallabies are also scheduled to meet Wales (September 29), Uruguay (October 5) and Georgia (October 11) in Pool D.

 

Australia's 31-man Rugby World Cup squad in full:

Forwards: Allan Alaalatoa, Rory Arnold, Adam Coleman, Jack Dempsey, Folau Fainga'a, Michael Hooper, Sekope Kepu, Tolu Latu, Isi Naisarani, David Pocock, Izack Rodda, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Rob Simmons, Scott Sio, James Slipper, Taniela Tupou, Jordan Uelese.

Backs: Adam Ashley-Cooper, Kurtley Beale, Bernard Foley, Will Genia, Dane Haylett-Petty, Reece Hodge, Samu Kerevi, Marika Koroibete, Tevita Kuridrani, Christian Lealiifano, James O'Connor, Jordan Petaia, Matt To'omua, Nic White.

Related items

  • Worcester lock Fatialofa out of intensive care Worcester lock Fatialofa out of intensive care

    Worcester Warriors lock Michael Fatialofa has been moved out of intensive care and is making "good progress" after suffering a spinal contusion.

    The 27-year-old New Zealander sustained a serious neck injury in the Premiership defeat to Saracens at Allianz Park on January 4.

    Fatialofa underwent surgery to relieve the pressure on his spinal cord caused by bruising and swelling.

    Worcester revealed on Thursday that the former Hurricanes forward has been moved from intensive care to the Major Trauma Unit at St Mary's Hospital in London.

    A club statement said: "Michael's condition remains serious but he is making good progress and he is showing encouraging signs of improvement.

    "The hope is that he will soon be transferred to the internationally acclaimed spinal injuries unit at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Buckinghamshire to continue his rehabilitation."

    The Warriors have set up a special email account – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. – so that Michael and his wife, Tatiana, can receive messages of support.

  • Windies U-19 success due to youth investment claims CWI boss Skerritt Windies U-19 success due to youth investment claims CWI boss Skerritt

    Cricket West Indies president Ricky Skerritt has insisted the strong showing of the U-19 team at the ongoing ICC U-19 World Cup is due to a policy of deliberate investment in youth cricket.

    The U-19 Windies, who won the title in 2016, are off to a strong start at the current edition of the tournament after notching wins over Australia, England, and Nigeria.  The team’s latest win, a dominant 246 runs win over their African opponents, ensured that the Windies were top of group B.

    According to the CWI president, the team’s strong showing, which has taken many by surprise, is no accident.

    “This administration promised that we would invest more seriously and in a more focussed and strategic way on our youth cricket and this Under-19 team is an example of what we set about to do immediately – to give them the best possible preparation going into this World Cup,” Skerritt said recently.

    “They have achieved already way beyond the expectations of most people.  They beat Australia, they beat England. We are going to hope and pray that they continue on the path of improvement and performing at their best and whatever the end result of this World Cup is for them they would have made the Caribbean people extremely proud.”

  • Wray responds to report of 'egregious' and 'reckless' Saracens salary-cap breaches Wray responds to report of 'egregious' and 'reckless' Saracens salary-cap breaches

    Nigel Wray has taken full responsibility for the "heartache" he has caused after Premiership Rugby published a full report of Saracens' "egregious" and "reckless" breaches of salary-cap regulations.

    The European and English champions were docked 35 Premiership points and fined £5.36million in November for exceeding the ceiling for payments to players in each of the last three seasons to the tune of around £2.1m over that period.

    There was worse to come for the London club when it was announced last weekend they would be relegated from the top flight at the end of the season after being unable to prove they have complied with salary-cap regulations for the current campaign.

    Premiership Rugby on Thursday made public how an independent disciplinary panel came to a decision to punish Saracens for the breaches in the last three seasons in a report that does not include the current campaign.

    A summary of the panel's verdict stated that Sarries had "continuously and recklessly failed to comply with its obligations to cooperate with the SCM (salary cap manager)."

    Sarries argued co-investments club owner Wray, who quit at the start of this month, entered into with players should not be count towards salaries but he has now accepted taking an "ill-considered approach." 

    Wray said in a statement: "I am really sorry for the heartache that I have caused you [supporters] due to my ill-considered approach to matters relating to salary cap compliance. My intention with co-investments was always to support players beyond their playing careers.

    "I recognise that the actions of the club were described by the panel as 'reckless' primarily due to my failure to consult with PRL's salary cap manager prior to entering into any agreements and then disclosing the transactions to him. I take full responsibility for this. We should have been far better. 

    "Equally important is the panel's determination that neither the club nor myself deliberately attempted to breach the cap."

    Wray revealed that property co-investments with players, a payment by a former player to himself and a club director, and the purchase of 30 per cent of a player's image rights by himself and two other directors were among the "one-off transactions" the panel considered to be undeclared salary.

    Agent fees and appearances at MBN Events, owned by Wray's daughter Lucy, were also classed as undeclared salary.

    Darren Childs, chief executive of Premiership Rugby, said upon the release of the report: "We are pleased to be able to finally publish the full judgment on Saracens' breaches of the salary cap in the last three seasons.

    "Now that everyone can see the details, the decision will show that Premiership Rugby has taken firm action to enforce the regulations and our management of the salary cap has been endorsed by the panel."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.