Hansen dismisses fears over Mo'unga World Cup prospects after shoulder blow

By Sports Desk August 17, 2019

New Zealand are confident an injury scare for fly-half Richie Mo'unga will prove nothing to worry about.

With the Rugby World Cup just five weeks away, it appeared concerning when Mo'unga had to be replaced midway through the second half against Australia on Saturday.

The 25-year-old, who scored New Zealand's opening try in their 36-0 Bledisloe Cup win, went off with a shoulder blow after clashing with Lukhan Salakaia-Loto.

But head coach Steve Hansen said in a post-match news conference at Eden Park he had no fears about Mo'unga facing a long lay-off.

"He's got a sore shoulder. He's not that bad, doc says he'll be fine," said Hansen.

"He got tipped up and fell on his shoulder. We'll know more in the morning, but doc's pretty comfortable with where he's at."

Hansen, after his 100th match in charge of the All Blacks, said he was pleased with New Zealand's response to their 47-26 defeat seven days prior in Perth as they retained the Bledisloe Cup.

"We had to respond to a performance last week that we would all say wasn't good enough from our point of view and an exceptional one from Australia," he said in quotes reported by the New Zealand Herald.

"It's a long time in sport, seven days, and I'm very proud of them. We got towelled up last week and I'm not sure any All Black has enjoyed that experience."

Related items

  • Ireland-Italy Six Nations clash called off amid Coronavirus fears Ireland-Italy Six Nations clash called off amid Coronavirus fears

    Ireland's Six Nations clash with Italy in Dublin has been called off amid fears over the spread of the Coronavirus.

    Andy Farrell's side had been due to host Italy at the Aviva Stadium on Saturday March 7 in their penultimate game of the tournament.

    However, the outbreak of the virus in northern Italy had led to calls for the game to be postponed.

    The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) met with the country's minister for health, Simon Harris, on Tuesday and it was determined the game should not go ahead.

    The matches in the Women's Six Nations and the Under-20 Six Nations have also been postponed.

    An IRFU statement read: "The IRFU had a positive meeting with Minister Harris and his advisors today, where we requested a formal instruction as to the staging of the Ireland v Italy international matches over the weekend of 6/8 March.

    "At the outset we made it clear that the IRFU was supportive of the Governments' need to protect public health in relation to the Coronavirus.

    "We were then advised, formally, that The National Public Health Emergency team has determined that the series of matches should not proceed, in the interests of Public Health.

    "The IRFU is happy to comply with this instruction.

    "We will immediately begin to work with our Six Nations partners to look at the possibility of rescheduling the matches and would hope to have an update on this in the coming days."

    Last weekend saw four football matches in Serie A postponed, including Inter's clash with Sampdoria as part of measures to prevent the spread of the virus in Italy.

    Inter's Europa League meeting with Ludogorets will be contested behind closed doors on Thursday.

    Additionally, this weekend's scheduled Pro14 rugby games between Parma-based club Zebre and Ospreys and Benetton Treviso and Ulster will not go ahead.

    Ireland suffered their first defeat of the tournament as they were beaten 24-12 by England at Twickenham last Sunday. 

    They are four points behind leaders France in the table. Italy have lost each of their three games and appear destined for another wooden spoon.

  • Du Plessis rested again as Maharaj returns to South Africa ODI squad Du Plessis rested again as Maharaj returns to South Africa ODI squad

    Former captain Faf du Plessis will be rested again by South Africa for the upcoming ODI series against Australia, Cricket South Africa (CSA) confirmed on Wednesday.

    Du Plessis has stepped down as Proteas skipper across all three formats in recent weeks, with Quinton de Kock taking charge.

    Although the 35-year-old is playing against Australia in the ongoing Twenty20 international series, he missed the clashes with England in the same format earlier in February.

    And Du Plessis will be absent again when South Africa return to 50-over action on Saturday.

    "With a busy year and a half in mind, the selectors have opted to give further rest to Faf du Plessis and other senior players, such as Rassie van der Dussen and Dwaine Pretorius, while giving themselves an opportunity to see what some of the country's up and coming talents have to offer," CSA posted on its Twitter page as the squad was announced.

    Keshav Maharaj is granted a recall, having last played limited-overs cricket for the Proteas in August 2018.

    The 30-year-old left-arm spinner has been a Test regular in recent years but is yet to play T20s for South Africa and has featured in just four ODIs.

    Meanwhile, Lutho Sipamla, who debuted against England at the start of the month, and Janneman Malan, with two T20 caps, are among the younger players included, along with Kyle Verreynne.

    Verreynne, 22, is yet to feature for his country at senior level.


    South Africa ODI squad in full: Quinton de Kock, Temba Bavuma, David Miller, Kagiso Rabada, Andile Phehlukwayo, Tabraiz Shamsi, Lungi Ngidi, Beuran Hendricks, Heinrich Klaasen, Janneman Malan, Jon-Jon Smuts, Anrich Nortje, Lutho Sipamla, Keshav Maharaj, Kyle Verreynne.

  • Anthony Watson makes England training squad before Wales game Anthony Watson makes England training squad before Wales game

    Anthony Watson could feature for England for the first time in the 2020 Six Nations after he was named in Eddie Jones' squad for their training camp ahead of next week's clash with Wales.

    Watson is yet to appear in this year's championship due to a calf injury, but head coach Jones suggested after the victory over Ireland that the wing could soon return.

    "Anthony's got to do a running session and if he gets through that we'll get him into camp," Jones said.

    And Watson was subsequently included in a 25-man selection on Wednesday as England reconvene for three days of training in Oxford.

    Mark Wilson has likewise been recalled, while George Furbank is involved for rehabilitation purposes after missing the Ireland game, as apprentice Alex Mitchell also links up.

    However, both Mako Vunipola and Luke Cowan-Dickie were not selected due to family reasons.

    Vunipola had travelled to Tonga ahead of Sunday's clash with Ireland and was not expected back in time to face Wales.

    Cowan-Dickie, who scored England's third try in the 24-12 Twickenham success, had been absent previously in the campaign as his girlfriend gave birth to their son seven weeks early.

    England are still in the mix for the Six Nations title, although they trail Grand Slam-chasing France by four points after three games.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.