Reggae Warriors to face England in historic international this autumn

By July 15, 2019

England Knights will play Jamaica in a historic international fixture at the Emerald Headingley Stadium this October, as part of both countries’ countdown to the 2021 Rugby League World Cup.

The match will be played on Sunday, October 20, eight days after the domestic season concludes with the Betfred Super League Grand Final.

The Reggae Warriors continued their unlikely Rugby League story by beating the USA in Jacksonville last October to secure their first ever World Cup appearance.

The fixture against the Knights will, therefore, work on two levels for Jamaica, providing high-quality international experience for their team at one of the host venues for RLWC2021, and also a platform for them to connect with the hundreds of thousands of British Jamaicans – the second-largest Jamaican population outside the island itself.

“This is a fixture that works on so many levels, and I hope it will capture the imagination of Rugby League supporters and Jamaicans in Leeds, Yorkshire and well beyond,” said Kevin Sinfield, the RFL’s Rugby Director.

“The Knights are an important part of the EPU as we build towards hosting the World Cup in 2021, and it was a priority to find them meaningful competition again this autumn after the unique experiences they gained in Papua New Guinea last year.

“The way the Jamaica team has developed over the last few years to reach the World Cup has already been a bit of a Rugby League fairy tale, and it’s great that the Knights can help them with their preparations for RLWC2021.”

Jermaine Coleman, Jamaica’s Assistant Coach described the match as an opportunity for the Reggae Warriors.

“This is an exciting opportunity for us as a team. The effort that has gone into the journey so far has been unbelievable,” Coleman said.

“We have a fantastic group of people involved with the team both on and off the field. We see this as our first steps in our preparation to the World Cup. The England Knights will be an excellent team full of Super League quality from 1-17 so the step up for us is going to be challenging. The one thing this group does better than anything is rise to challenges so we can’t wait for this game opportunity.”

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: 'No bad ideas' as Greenberg and NRL explore radical plans to relaunch season Coronavirus: 'No bad ideas' as Greenberg and NRL explore radical plans to relaunch season

    NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg insisted there are "no bad ideas" as the league explores radical plans to relaunch the coronavirus-hit season.

    The NRL postponed the 2020 campaign through just two rounds on March 23 amid the COVID-19 pandemic, which has halted sport across the globe.

    Financial concerns have emerged for both clubs and players, prompting the NRL to deliver a 40 million Australian dollars rescue package to all 16 teams.

    The NRL and Rugby League Players' Association (RLPA) also reached an agreement on a revised pay deal for players on Thursday, ensuring two months' worth of wages and payments.

    Now, the NRL is determined to get the competition back underway as soon as it is safe to do so and all ideas are on the table, according to CEO Greenberg.

    "The concept is as simple as trying to find innovative ways to get the game back. And whether that's putting players in secure environments, or restructuring how the competition looks and feels, we're open to all suggestions," Greenberg told Fox Sports on Friday.

    "At the moment there are no bad ideas. We're going to model a number of those scenarios to put to the commission at the back end of April and we're going to push really hard.

    "Obviously there are some things out of our control. We don't have a line of sight yet on what the government restrictions will look like or border controls on our teams in both Queensland and New Zealand, but what we don't want to do is not be ready."

    Greenberg's position has come in for criticism amid the pandemic, with his management and financial model in the spotlight.

    But Greenberg said: "It doesn't feel like [I'm a dead man walking], it feels like I'm working a lot of hours. I've got to say we've had great support from our [Australian Rugby League Commission] chairman Peter V'landys and the entire commission.

    "We feel very supported and I think I'm encouraged by the fact that there’s been so much support to try to drive the game forward. Of course there's going to be criticism. I'm a realist, I take that criticism primarily in the title and in the role that comes with the game.

    "That criticism will continue to come. I see that as part of the rugby league landscape that any senior administrator or leader in a role like mine has to take that. I think the primary criticism is around the game's distribution model and cost base sustainable for the future. I think that's a question that we have to answer."

  • Coronavirus: Raiders co-captain Croker welcomes NRL's player payment agreement Coronavirus: Raiders co-captain Croker welcomes NRL's player payment agreement

    Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker welcomed the NRL's revised pay deal for players amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    The NRL and the Rugby League Players' Association (RLPA) reached an agreement on financial measures while the competition is suspended on Thursday, with the 24.6million Australian dollars deal seeing players earn two months wages and payments.

    Due to the postponement of the 2020 season, players will surrender five out of 12 months' salary if the NRL is unable to resume.

    "It's obviously been a difficult time. I know how hard the RLPA have been working. They've bent over backwards for everyone really," Croker told NRL.com.

    "The whole world is in the same boat, everyone's struggling together. No one enjoys a pay cut. I've never met a bloke who wants to take a pay cut. For the sake of the club and the game it's the way it has to be.

    "Everyone in every job is going to have to take a hit somewhere along the lines. Unfortunate time for everyone but to the boys' credit, they're still positive.

    "It's a stressful time for everyone, not just physically but mentally and emotionally. We all have families to provide for. But we're hanging tough. The whole NRL is the same, they're just trying to get what's best for their families and team-mates."

    NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg added: "The players understand the severity of the circumstances we face and have demonstrated their willingness to work with us to secure the best possible outcome to protect the long-term future of our game.

    "I know it hasn't been easy and I thank the RLPA and the playing group for their maturity, professionalism and diligence in helping us reach this solution."

    Meanwhile, RLPA CEO Clint Newton said: "Players will share in this pain while games are suspended and have done what was required to ensure the game's short- and longer-term future.

    "However, we want to be clear that this arrangement is based on the worst-case scenario, should we not get back on the field in 2020.

    "Based on the current financial position of the game, the information we have been provided and the guarantees we have secured, we believe that this is a fair deal and we have secured the best outcomes for our members, while ensuring they are protected and included upfront in decision making long-term."

  • NRL cancels registrations of Bulldogs duo for 'inexcusable' behaviour NRL cancels registrations of Bulldogs duo for 'inexcusable' behaviour

    The NRL has cancelled the registrations of Canterbury Bulldogs duo Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera for "a very serious breach of the code of conduct".

    The move comes after the governing body's show-cause process established significant misconduct by both players ahead of a trial match in Port Macquarie on February 29.

    According to a statement from the Bulldogs, who consequently cancelled Okunbor and Harawira-Naera's contracts, the victims of the pair's misconduct were young women.

    NRL CEO Todd Greenberg confirmed the sanction in a strongly worded statement on Wednesday. 

    "The behaviour of both players was inexcusable and a very serious breach of the code of conduct," he said. 

    "The game will not tolerate such conduct and as such both players have had their registrations cancelled. 

    "This decision should send a very clear message to all players of our stance on such behaviour."

    A Bulldogs statement added: "An important part of the role of being a professional rugby league player is to promote the game and act as an ambassador for your club and the code.

    "There can be no tolerance for any abuse of the privileged status the game affords its leading players.

    "The consequences of this matter have been serious and far-reaching and protecting the welfare of the young women involved has been a priority for us since we were first alerted to this issue."

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.