Reggae Warriors to face England in historic international this autumn

By July 15, 2019

England Knights will play Jamaica in a historic international fixture at the Emerald Headingley Stadium this October, as part of both countries’ countdown to the 2021 Rugby League World Cup.

The match will be played on Sunday, October 20, eight days after the domestic season concludes with the Betfred Super League Grand Final.

The Reggae Warriors continued their unlikely Rugby League story by beating the USA in Jacksonville last October to secure their first ever World Cup appearance.

The fixture against the Knights will, therefore, work on two levels for Jamaica, providing high-quality international experience for their team at one of the host venues for RLWC2021, and also a platform for them to connect with the hundreds of thousands of British Jamaicans – the second-largest Jamaican population outside the island itself.

“This is a fixture that works on so many levels, and I hope it will capture the imagination of Rugby League supporters and Jamaicans in Leeds, Yorkshire and well beyond,” said Kevin Sinfield, the RFL’s Rugby Director.

“The Knights are an important part of the EPU as we build towards hosting the World Cup in 2021, and it was a priority to find them meaningful competition again this autumn after the unique experiences they gained in Papua New Guinea last year.

“The way the Jamaica team has developed over the last few years to reach the World Cup has already been a bit of a Rugby League fairy tale, and it’s great that the Knights can help them with their preparations for RLWC2021.”

Jermaine Coleman, Jamaica’s Assistant Coach described the match as an opportunity for the Reggae Warriors.

“This is an exciting opportunity for us as a team. The effort that has gone into the journey so far has been unbelievable,” Coleman said.

“We have a fantastic group of people involved with the team both on and off the field. We see this as our first steps in our preparation to the World Cup. The England Knights will be an excellent team full of Super League quality from 1-17 so the step up for us is going to be challenging. The one thing this group does better than anything is rise to challenges so we can’t wait for this game opportunity.”

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Wigan Warriors 20-6 Warrington Wolves: Ruthless hosts keep winning Wigan Warriors 20-6 Warrington Wolves: Ruthless hosts keep winning

    Wigan Warriors moved level on points with Warrington Wolves thanks to a clinical 20-6 win over the second-placed Super League side on Friday.

    The Warriors boosted their hopes of reaching the qualifying final, where they could face Warrington again, after scoring three tries in the space of 11 ruthless first-half minutes.

    Wire were playing their final fixture before the Challenge Cup final against runaway Super League leaders St Helens but struggled to break Wigan down even in the spell after Oliver Gildart was sent to the sin bin.

    Victory means rampant Wigan have now won nine of their 10 matches since the sides' previous meeting in late May.

    Bevan French, making his home debut for the Warriors, got the first points of the game after 15 minutes, taking a pass from Zak Hardaker to score down the flank.

    Hardaker kicked the extras and he soon had two more tries to convert, too.

    Three minutes after French's score George Williams darted through a gap in the Wire defence to extend the hosts' lead and Hardaker himself got the third after pouncing on a bouncing ball and getting the benefit of a review.

    The match was then scoreless until Hardaker increased his points total to 12 with a 40-metre penalty.

    A first period of sustained Wolves pressure followed when Gildart went in high on Jake Mamo, but Wigan defended bravely.

    There was a belated response after Gildart returned to the field, with Tom Lineham scoring and Declan Patton dispatching the kick, yet the home side were comfortable victors.

  • Broncos claim precious points against Panthers, Blake stars for Eels Broncos claim precious points against Panthers, Blake stars for Eels

    Brisbane Broncos secured a vital win over Penrith Panthers in the battle for an NRL finals berth, while Parramatta Eels remained in the mix for the top four.

    The Broncos and the Panthers lie seventh and eighth in the ladder having traded places on Friday with Brisbane's 24-12 win moving them three points clear of the ninth-placed Cronulla Sharks, who have a game in hand.

    The hosts had to recover from a dismal start at Suncorp Stadium as Jake Turpin was sent to the sin bin just seven minutes in for swinging an arm at Dylan Edwards.

    But Kotoni Staggs crossed on the quarter-hour mark and the Broncos remained in front at the break despite Nathan Cleary's response, with Jamayne Isaako's penalty goal the difference between the sides.

    Isaako would prove the key man for Brisbane following the restart, quickly grabbing a try and then scoring again 10 minutes later before Brian To'o hit back.

    An extended scoreless stretch played into the Broncos' hands and Payne Haas went over in stunning fashion to stretch the advantage and set up a comfortable finale, even with Tevita Pangai binned for a high challenge on James Maloney.

    Ahead of Brisbane, the Eels are still sixth but now level on points with the teams third, fourth and fifth after hammering strugglers Gold Coast Titans.

    Waqa Blake got his first tries for the club as they eased to a 36-12 win, dealing the Titans an eighth straight defeat.

    Daniel Alvaro and Manu Ma'u had Parramatta in the clear, although the lead was cut to six points at the interval as Brian Kelly crossed.

    However, in a ruthless spell, Shaun Lane went through and Blake followed twice in succession. Marata Niukore scored with 10 minutes remaining meaning Jesse Arthars' consolation counted for little.

  • Leeds Rhinos 20-36 St Helens: Naiqama stars in second-half rout Leeds Rhinos 20-36 St Helens: Naiqama stars in second-half rout

    Kevin Naiqama scored a hat-trick as Super League leaders St Helens prepared for the Challenge Cup final with a 36-20 victory over Leeds Rhinos.

    Saints made it four successive victories in all competitions, a 26-point haul in the space of 23 second-half minutes taking the game away from the home side at Headingley.

    Leeds - sporting the logo of the Samaritans charity on their jerseys - had started strongly having come into the fixture off the back of two straight wins, Ash Handley going agonisingly close to an early opener.

    But Saints struck the first blow - Jack Welsby forcing a fumble high upfield before teeing up Regan Grace.

    Saints' lead did not last long, Richie Myler displaying a crisp turn of pace to charge through the visitors' defence, with Leeds hitting the front when Handley dived over in the corner.

    Naiqama levelled things up at 10-10 heading into the interval and Saints did not look back after the restart.

    A defensive mix-up from Leeds allowed Zeb Taia to ground a loose ball, with a lengthy check with the video referee confirming the try, before the Saints second-rower doubled his tally moments later. 

    Naiqama added another and, four minutes later, had his hat-trick - breezing through Leeds' defence following fine build-up play involving youngster Welsby.

    Handley grabbed a second try with seven minutes remaining and, though the game was already lost, Leeds - who sit four points above bottom club London Broncos in the table - had the final say when Luke Briscoe set up Harry Newman with a brilliant offload.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.