Gatland names uncapped duo in Wales' World Cup training squad

By Sports Desk April 30, 2019

Wales coach Warren Gatland has named uncapped duo Rhys Carre and Owen Lane in his 42-man training squad for the 2019 Rugby World Cup.

Six Nations champions Wales begin their preparation for the tournament in June and after a training camp in Switzerland will take on England home and away on August 11 and 17.

The group will head to Turkey for warm-weather drills before returning to face Ireland on August 31 and September 7.

Gatland will name his 31-man World Cup squad prior to the second Ireland match and Carre and Lane, who have both starred for Cardiff Blues this season, have been handed a chance to impress. 

"It is exciting to name our training squad and to get the ball rolling," Gatland said.

"We've named a 42-man squad, packed with experience, a good number of the Grand Slam-winning squad are in there plus some players who have returned from injury.

"We have created some great competition in the squad and there are a couple of players on the injury list at the moment that we could add into the squad at a later date depending on their recovery.

"We have been really impressed with Rhys and with Owen. They have both been on our succession plan for a while and it will be good to have them in camp with us and to see what they are able to do."

Injured trio Aaron Shingler, Taulupe Faletau and Josh Navidi are included in anticipation of them returning in time for the tournament.

Wales start their World Cup campaign against Georgia on September 23, before facing Australia, Fiji and Uruguay in their other Pool D fixtures.

 

Wales squad in full:

Backs: Josh Adams, Hallam Amos, Gareth Anscombe, Dan Biggar, Aled Davies, Gareth Davies, Jonathan Davies, Jarrod Evans, Steff Evans, Leigh Halfpenny, Jonah Holmes, Hadleigh Parkes, Rhys Patchell, Owen Lane, George North, Owen Watkin, Liam Williams, Scott Williams, Tomos Williams.

Forwards: Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Leon Brown, Rhys Carre, Bradley Davies, James Davies, Elliot Dee, Ryan Elias, Rob Evans, Taulupe Faletau, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones, Wyn Jones, Samson Lee, Dillon Lewis, Ross Moriarty, Josh Navidi, Ken Owens, Aaron Shingler, Nicky Smith, Justin Tipuric, Aaron Wainwright.

Related items

  • Leicester Tigers put up for sale Leicester Tigers put up for sale

    Leicester Tigers have been put up for sale as they look to "capitalise on the new investment" in rugby, the Premiership club have announced.

    CVC Capital Partners, which has previously invested in Formula One, has bought a stake in Premiership Rugby Limited and, according to the Tigers, this has prompted interest in Leicester.

    The Tigers board has subsequently decided to "run a formal sale process in the best interests of the club, its players, supporters and shareholders," a club statement said.

    Leicester are 10-time Premiership champions but finished 11th last season. They also won the European Champions Cup in consecutive years in 2001 and 2002 but have not repeated this success.

    The statement added the sale would look to see the club "reclaim its status as a dominant force in English and European rugby".

    The Tigers now have no net debt due to CVC's purchase of the Premiership stake and believe revenues will improve following the new investment in the league.

    Executive chairman Peter Tom said: "CVC's investment in Premiership Rugby has created a unique opportunity - catapulting the sport into the public consciousness like never before and broadening its appeal to potential investors.

    "It is our duty as a board to explore the club's strategic options and assess the best possible ownership structure to benefit from the changes ahead on and off the pitch."

  • Australian Christian Lobby sets up new fundraiser for Folau Australian Christian Lobby sets up new fundraiser for Folau

    The Australian Christian Lobby (ACL) kicked off a new crowd-sourcing campaign for Israel Folau after the former Wallabies star's GoFundMe page was shut down.

    Crowd-sourcing platform GoFundMe shut down the page due to a breach of terms on Monday after Folau received more than 700,000 Australian dollars in donations in a controversial bid to raise money for his legal battle against Rugby Australia (RA).

    Folau's spokesperson claimed there is "a continuing campaign of discrimination" against the former Australia international, who had his contract terminated by the governing body last month, following a social media post in which he said homosexuals were destined for hell unless they repented their sins.

    However, the fundraising is not over after the ACL contributed 100,000 Australian dollars to a new campaign – 'Religious Freedom – which has raised more than 350,000 Australian dollars.

    "Recently the online fundraising platform GoFundMe shut down Israel Folau's legal defence fund and turned away hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations," ACL managing director Martyn Iles said.

    "On behalf of the Australian Christian Lobby, I have spoken to Israel Folau to let him know that ACL will be donating $100,000 to his legal defence, because it's right and it sets an important legal precedent.

    "I have also offered to host his online appeal for funds here on our website and he has accepted our offer. All gifts you give on this web page will be deposited into a trust account to pay for Israel Folau's legal case.

    "So, please give generously today to help Israel Folau stand for your religious freedom."

  • Folau a victim of 'continuing campaign of discrimination' after GoFundMe page shut down Folau a victim of 'continuing campaign of discrimination' after GoFundMe page shut down

    Israel Folau's spokesperson claimed there is "a continuing campaign of discrimination" against the former Australia international after GoFundMe shut down his crowdfunding campaign due to a violation of their terms.

    Ex-Wallabies star Folau had asked for public donations in his legal battle against Rugby Australia (RA) having had his contract terminated by the governing body last month, following a social media post in which he said homosexuals were destined for hell unless they repented their sins.

    Folau, who had previously been warned about similar posts, received more than 700,000 Australian dollars in donations on GoFundMe, but the crowdfunding platform shut down his page and refunded all donors on Monday, explaining that "this campaign violates our terms of service" in a statement.

    "As a company, we are absolutely committed to the fight for equality for LGBTIQ people and fostering an environment of inclusivity," GoFundMe's Australia regional manager Nicola Britton said.

    "While we welcome GoFundMe's engaging in diverse civil debate, we do not tolerate the promotion of discrimination or exclusion."

    A spokesperson for Folau then issued a statement calling GoFundMe's decision "very disappointing" and revealing that other organisations had pledged to support the 30-year-old's legal fight.

    "The decision of GoFundMe to cancel Israel's fundraising campaign to support his legal action fund is very disappointing," the spokesperson said. 

    "The fundraising campaign was in line with GoFundMe's terms and conditions as well as all relevant rules and regulations. Unfortunately, GoFundMe has buckled to demands against the freedom of Australians to donate to his cause.

    "There appears to be a continuing campaign of discrimination against Israel and his supporters. Israel Folau is very grateful to the 10,000-plus supporters who believed in good faith that their donations would contribute to his case against Rugby Australia. 

    "Since requesting public donations to help him with his legal action against Rugby Australia, Israel and his supporters have come under intense scrutiny in the media.

    "Further, Israel's website has been the target of what we believe was a sustained cyberattack and there has been a deliberate attempt to vilify his wife Maria for supporting her husband.

    "While Israel does not intend to respond in detail at this time regarding the accusations thrown at him or his family, he wants it known that these attacks have hardened his resolve.

    "Thankfully, several organisations have already expressed interest in supporting Israel's efforts to raise money for his ongoing legal case."

    Folau was sacked by RA having been found to have committed a high-level breach of its professional players' code of conduct.

    The dual-code international claims he is being denied freedom of religion.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.