Navidi will be fit for World Cup despite season-ending surgery

By Sports Desk April 03, 2019

Cardiff Blues flanker Josh Navidi is out for the rest of the season but the Wales flanker will be fit for the Rugby World Cup after undergoing surgery on a dislocated elbow.

Navidi suffered the damage early in the Blues' Pro14 victory over the Scarlets last month.

The forward is expected to be out for between 10 and 12 weeks, ruling him out of the rest of the play-off chasing Blues' campaign.

Navidi, outstanding in Wales' Grand Slam triumph, is not in danger of missing the World Cup in Japan - which starts in September.

Blues head coach John Mulvihill said: "Josh dislocated his elbow in a bit of friendly fire, which was unfortunate. He's had surgery and will be right to go for the World Cup camps.

"He'll be out for up to three months but will be able to return to running fairly early in the rehab process and maintain his conditioning under the guidance of our first class medical and strength and conditioning teams. 

"He will be refreshed, which will be really good for him going into the camp."

 

 

Related items

  • Marta makes World Cup history with record 17th goal Marta makes World Cup history with record 17th goal

    Marta made history as she scored a record 17th World Cup goal to put Brazil ahead against Italy on Tuesday.

    The 33-year-old had moved level with former Germany star Miroslav Klose's haul of 16 goals with her penalty in a 3-2 defeat to Australia in Brazil's second Group C match.

    And Marta moved one clear of Klose when she scored again from 12 yards to open the scoring in Valenciennes in the 74th minute.

    Elena Linari's clumsy lunge on Debinha gave referee Lucila Venegas Montes little choice but to point to the spot, and Marta duly kept her composure to send Laura Giuliani the wrong way to make history.

  • Bastareaud and Parra axed from youthful France World Cup squad Bastareaud and Parra axed from youthful France World Cup squad

    Mathieu Bastareaud has been left out of France's squad for the Rugby World Cup, while there is also no place for Morgan Parra.

    Bastareaud served as vice-captain during the Six Nations this year but the imposing centre has paid the price for a disappointing campaign, where France finished a distant fourth after losing three of their five matches

    Sofiane Guitoune of Toulouse features among the backs in Bastareaud's absence, while explosive Fiji-born wing Alivereti Raka is one of three uncapped players included by Jacques Brunel alongside Peato Mauvaka and Emerick Setiano – a factor in Teddy Thomas missing the cut.

    In April, Bastareaud announced he would leave Toulon on a season-long loan after the World Cup to represent the fledgling Rugby United New York franchise in Major League Rugby.

    Speaking at a news conference to announce his squad, Brunel was reluctant to be drawn on whether fitness had been a factor in the experienced 30-year-old being left out and also denied incoming coach Fabien Galthie – who will replace him after the tournament in Japan – had a say on selection following discussions between the pair.

    "It is in relation to the criteria that we took into consideration, with the characteristics that we identified," he said.

    "It is a position where there is a lot of competition and performers all year round, especially Sofiane Guitoune who is in this group.

    "Fabien Galthie did not wish to influence the decision because Fabien himself told me he did not know the players and the group enough."

    Brunel dropped half-backs Parra and Camille Lopez after France's 44-8 hammering by England at Twickenham.

    Youngsters Antoine Dupont and Romain Ntamack started in place of the Clermont Auvergne pair for the remainder of the Six Nations.

    Fly-half Lopez has made the cut but, like Bastareaud, scrum-half Parra – capped 71 times by his country – does not even feature among the six players on standby.

    "The group is rejuvenated with many players who are 25 years and under," Brunel added. "But there is still experience with Yoann Huget, Wesley Fofana and Maxime Medard."

    France have been drawn in Pool C alongside England, Argentina, United States and Tonga, opening their campaign against the Pumas in Tokyo on September 21.

    France squad in full:

    Forwards: Gregory Alldritt, Demba Bamba, Yacouba Camara, Camille Chat, Paul Gabrillagues, Guilhem Guirado, Arthur Iturria, Felix Lambey, Wenceslas Lauret, Bernard Le Roux, Peato Mauvaka, Louis Picamoles, Jefferson Poirot, Dany Priso, Emerick Setiano, Rabah Slimani, Sebastien Vahaamahina. 

    Backs: Geoffrey Doumayrou, Antoine Dupont, Gael Fickou, Wesley Fofana, Sofiane Guitoune, Yoann Huget, Camile Lopez, Maxime Machenaud, Maxime Medard, Romain Ntamack, Damian Penaud, Alivereti Raka, Thomas Ramos, Baptiste Serin.

    Reserves: Anthony Belleau, Francois Cros, Etienne Falgoux, Charles Ollivon, Vincent Rattez, Paul Willemse.

  • Toulouse's 'incredible generation' delights Mola Toulouse's 'incredible generation' delights Mola

    Toulouse coach Ugo Mola lauded the club's "incredible generation" after they sealed Top 14 glory for the 20th time in the club's history on Saturday.

    Yoann Huget scored a pair of tries in a 24-18 victory over Clermont Auvergne at the Stade de France, earning Toulouse their first title since 2012 and the glory days under Guy Noves.

    The club set a record points total of 98 during the regular season and established a new benchmark for tries scored by running in 102.

    "A 20th title in Toulouse, it's huge for the club," said Mola in a post-match interview.

    "When I arrived four years ago, we rebuilt and rebuilt. We have an incredible generation.

    "Clermont and Toulouse will often meet in this kind of match for the years to come."

    France winger Huget said: "Before the match, we were told to imagine all possible scenarios.

    "I could not imagine another way of ending this beautiful season. The group was stronger than anything.

    "Everything aligned for us this season."

    The result meant Clermont hooker Benjamin Kayser brought the curtain down on his career on the back of a disappointing defeat.

    While the former France international was frustrated with Clermont's attack, he was proud of a season that included European Challenge Cup glory and anticipates the club will continue to compete for major honours.

    "There are many regrets. We did not have enough ambition and there was indiscipline at stupid moments, which made the difference," said Kayser.

    "But I'm proud of what he did this year. The group did not give up and I am proud to have been able to transmit that to this young group, which will take the club far."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.