Jamaica lose big to New Zealand in Vitality Nations Cup

By January 22, 2020

New Zealand drubbed Jamaica’s Sunshine Girls 71-45 in their round two match-up in the Vitality Nations Cup Netball Tournament in Birmingham, England on Wednesday.

The Silver Ferns with quick, crisp passing and better movement the ball ploughed through the centre court, proving too much for the Connie-Francis-coached Jamaicans who were once again plagued by a raft of turnovers.

Jamaica committed 50 contact penalties and turned over possession, many of them unforced, on 34 occasions. By comparison, New Zealand had 19 contact penalties and 19 turnovers for the match.

Jhanielle Fowler scored 38 goals from 40 attempts at a rate of 94 per cent but was unable to put a dent in the lead as Maria Wilson scored 42 of 45 attempts for the Silver Ferns who also got 11 goals from 13 attempts from Te Paea Selby-Pickit and 18 goals from 22 attempts from Ameliaranne Ekenasio.

Shanice Beckford went seven of eight from the field for the Jamaicans.

New Zealand led 18-11 at the end of the first quarter and 32-22 at half-time.

They blew the game wide open in the third, outscoring the Jamaicans 19-9 to lead 51-31 at the end of the third.

The Sunshine Girls made a better match of it in the fourth quarter but once again turnovers proved to be their undoing. New Zealand eventually pulled away for the convincing win.

Jamaica plays next on Sunday when they take on England.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Paralympian Association disputes sports minister's reason for unpaid support funding Paralympian Association disputes sports minister's reason for unpaid support funding

    The Jamaica Paralympian Association has challenged made by Jamaica’s Sports Minister Olivia Grange over she claims she made as to the reason why they have not received funding under the government’s Athletes Assistance Programme.

    On February 9, 2020, Minister Grange said that the Athletes Assistance Programme would commence on March 1, 2020, and continue into mid-July. The athletes who were eligible were those who had qualified or were on the brink of qualifying for the Olympic and Paralympic Games in Tokyo.

    The minister also said that athletes in the programme would receive JMD $20,000 per week towards their preparation. That money was to be disbursed on a monthly basis. However, when the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and the Japanese government announced that the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games had been postponed, the ministry suspended the programme.

    The ministry announced on March 24, that it would commit to paying out sums under the Athletes Assistance Programme up to the end of March.

    However, in a recent statement released from the ministry, the minister said; “Our Paralympians had not yet begun training when the decisions to postpone the Tokyo Games and suspend the Athletes Assistance Programme were taken and therefore not eligible to receive payment under the programme"

    The JPA disputes the claim.

    “Our athletes commenced background training for the Paralympic Games in December 2019 in keeping with standard and globally accepted practices respecting athletes' preparation and conditioning for games in the ensuing year,” the JPA said in a statement on Monday.

    “It has never been the practice of the JPA to have our athletes commence training for the Paralympic Games (or any championship or tournament) four or five months before the staging of the Games which is an inference to be drawn from the statement attributed to the Honourable Minister.

    “Consequently, at no time did the JPA advise anyone in March of this year or at any other time that our athletes had not begun training for the Paralympic Games which was originally scheduled for August of this year.”

    According to the JPA, its athletes, since December 2019, had been pursuing their respective training programmes and were in high gear in March 2020. Some, it said, had even participated overseas in qualifying regional and international tournaments in their bid to qualify for the Paralympic Games.

    They have also continued to train.

    “Since the announcement of the postponement of the Paralympic Games, our athletes have continued, albeit on a limited scale, in training. The JPA, therefore, cannot appreciate the basis of the statement attributed to the Honourable Minister,” the JPA said.

     

  • Fraser-Pryce sets world lead at Velocity Fest Fraser-Pryce sets world lead at Velocity Fest

    Decorated 100m champion, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, clocked a world-leading 11 seconds at the Velocity Fest meet in Kingston, on Saturday, as athletes slowly start returning to the track.

    Running into a -2.2m/s headwind, Fraser-Pryce, the former MVP athlete, stopped the clock at 11.00 flat, well clear of Sprintec’s Shashalee Forbes who was second in 11.49.   Bahamas’ Anthonique Strachan was third in 11.84.  In the men’s equivalent, MVP’s Nesta Carter clocked 10.38 to only just edge out Tumbleweed’s Tyquendo Tracey and G.C Foster’s Romario Williams, who both clocked 10.39 for second and third respectively.

    Over double the distance, MVP’s Shericka Jackson ran 22.89 to finish heat three ahead of teammate Elaine Thompson, who clocked 22.98, with Forbes third in 23.45.  The men’s 200m went to Julian Forte, who clocked 20.71 running into a negative headwind.  He finished ahead of Rasheed Dwyer, 21.06, and Romario Williams, 21.07.

    In the women’s hurdles, Janieve Russell (57.29) dominated affairs, claiming the event comfortably ahead of Rhona Whyte (57.97).  In the 100m hurdles, Megan Tapper won the event in 13.25, ahead of Amoi Brown, who was second in 13.46s.

    World long jump champion Tajay Gayle topped his pet event with a wind-assisted 8.52m (4.5m/s).  Doha 2019 triple jump silver medallist, Shanieka Ricketts, claimed that event with 14.11m.

     

     

  • Hansen: NZ Rugby owes Australians nothing Hansen: NZ Rugby owes Australians nothing

    Steve Hansen says New Zealand Rugby owes Australian counterparts nothing and urged officials to be strong in talks over the future of Super Rugby.

    NZ Rugby commissioned the Aratipu review to look into the Super Rugby model and put plans in place to rebuild finances after being hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic.

    There has been talk of reducing the number of Australian teams in a new-look trans-Tasman competition.

    Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan this week compared the relationship between his governing body and NZ Rugby to a "master-servant" dynamic.

    Former All Blacks head coach Hansen has urged NZ Rugby to stand firm when negotiations take place.

    "Without being controversial, we have been looking after the Aussies for years," Hansen told Stuff Media.

    "And every time we have required something from them, particularly at a high level, sometimes they have gone missing.

    "Do we owe them something? No. But because we are the nation we are, and we care about the game more than just ourselves, we bend and buckle a bit.’"

    He added: "I think NZ Rugby are in the mood for having strong discussions … because they only get one shot at it."

    Hansen does not believe it would be a wise move to have more New Zealand teams in a Super Rugby competition and feels less travel can be a benefit for players.

    "You don't want to be diluting the talent pool. And then you have to ask, 'Do we want our athletes travelling all around the world as much as they have been?'.

    "If the answer is 'no', you look internally into New Zealand or maybe Australia [for a structure of the tournament) because it's not far away."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.