Netball Jamaica president declares heads will roll after failed campaign

By July 17, 2019

Heads are going to roll following Jamaica’s disastrous campaign at the 2019 Vitality Netball World Cup.

The Sunshine Girls, pre-tournament favourites, went into the tournament ranked second in the world. They got off to a flying start defeating Fiji 85-29 and then outscoring Trinidad and Tobago 68-43, prompting TT head coach Wesley Gomez to say that they were his favourites to win.

However, consecutive losses to South Africa (52-55) and England (48-56), have all but eliminated Jamaica from semi-finals. Either England or South Africa would have to lose their remaining games while Jamaica win theirs by significant margins for the Caribbean side to have any chance of making it through to the semi-finals.

They did what they needed to do on Wednesday when they defeated Scotland 67-36, but Netball Jamaica President Dr Paula Daley-Morris is not a happy woman.

“We were equal to the task, we fell asleep on the job and the results are what they are,” she told the Daily Gleaner on the eve of the team’s clash with Scotland. “Lot of changes will be made; we cannot go forward with the way things are.”

Wounded by the losses and the reality that Jamaica’s campaign is all but at an end, the president said the team did not play up to potential.

“It is not that we don’t have a good team. We have the best defender in the world, we have the best shooter in the world and we have a swift centre court, and we have girls that are extremely knowledgeable and experienced in the game,” she told the Gleaner while describing the failed campaign as a ‘backward step.”

However, she walked back the comments while responding to queries from Sportsmax.TV.

“We are focussing on a strong finish. These girls haven’t played together since October last year. They started playing together again on July 1.”

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Taylor to make long-awaited Scotland comeback against France Taylor to make long-awaited Scotland comeback against France

    Duncan Taylor will win his first cap for over two years and Stuart McInally will captain Scotland in their first Rugby World Cup warm-up match against France on Saturday.

    Taylor has not played for his country since June 2017 due to injury problems, but the 29-year-old will make up a new centre pairing with Huw Jones at the Allianz Riviera in Nice.

    Fellow midfielder Rory Hutchinson and lock Scott Cummings could make their debuts off the bench against Les Bleus.

    Adam Hastings gets the nod at fly-half and Ali Price starts at scrum-half five weeks before Scotland face Ireland in their World Cup opener in Yokohama City.

    Scotland head coach Gregor Townsend said: "A huge amount of work has gone in throughout the past two months in order to deliver our best level of performance in the Rugby World Cup.

    "These four Tests are a vital part of that process in terms of testing our systems and combinations but also in seeing which players put their best foot forward when it comes to selection for the final 31-man group going to Japan next month."

     

    Scotland: Stuart Hogg, Darcy Graham, Huw Jones, Duncan Taylor, Byron McGuigan, Adam Hastings, Ali Price; Jamie Bhatti, Stuart McInally (captain), Simon Berghan (Edinburgh), Ben Toolis, Grant Gilchrist, John Barclay, Jamie Ritchie, Josh Strauss.

    Replacements: George Turner, Gordon Reid, Zander Fagerson, Scott Cummings, Matt Fagerson, George Horne, Rory Hutchinson, Blair Kinghorn.

  • Jamaica defender Hector left out in cold after transfers collapse Jamaica defender Hector left out in cold after transfers collapse

    Jamaica international Michael Hector is likely to be without regular first-team football until the next transfer window after deadline day moves to Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham collapsed.

    The 27-year-old defender signed with Premier League club Chelsea in 2015 but has spent all his time on various loan spells.  Since signing for the Blues, at Stamford Bridge, the Jamaican has been loaned back to Reading to Frankfurt, Hull City, and Sheffield Wednesday.

    Having clearly found himself to not be a part of new manager Frank Lampard’s plans, Hector was in talks with Sheffield Wednesday over a permanent move a few days before the close of the summer window. 

    Chelsea were, however, said to want £5 million for Hector, who recently entered the final year of his contract with the club for whom he has never played a competitive fixture. 

    The player came close to joining Fulham on Thursday but that move fell through.  Fulham were hopeful of landing Hector before the window closed but couldn't as they were still waiting on the agreement for Ryan Sessegnon to be completed with Tottenham.

    The Cottagers were then forced to go for other targets on loan in order to comply with FFP regulations.  Hector is, however, expected to join the club in the January window.

     

  • Reggae Boy Shamar Nicholson signs with Belgian club Sporting Charleroi Reggae Boy Shamar Nicholson signs with Belgian club Sporting Charleroi

    Reggae Boyz striker Shamar Nicholson is moving on from Slovenian club NK Domzale after signing a contract to play for Belgian club Sporting Charleroi.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.