French Open 2020: Only 1,000 spectators per day to be allowed at Roland Garros

By Sports Desk September 25, 2020

The French Tennis Federation (FFT) says it "deeply regrets" new government restrictions that will only allow 1,000 spectators per day into Roland Garros to watch the French Open. 

Tournament organisers were forced to reduce the number of people allowed into the famous venue on a daily basis from 11,500 to 5,000 last week due to new rules introduced to try and stop the rise in coronavirus infection rates. 

Just two days before the grand slam gets under way, the FFT has had to inform those with tickets that they may be left disappointed due to further restrictions. 

A daily draw will now take place to determine who will be able to attend what will be the last major of the year. 

A statement on the French Open website said: "Following the announcements made by government authorities, 1,000 spectators will be permitted to enter the Roland Garros grounds per day. 

"This cap applies across all 16 courts in the 12-hectare site and is equivalent to one 35th of the usual number of spectators that have attended in the first week of the main draw in previous years.    

"From the very outset of the public health crisis that our country is experiencing, the French Tennis Federation has consistently worked closely with government departments, to determine how to organise the tournament in the current situation.  It deeply regrets these new restrictions. 

"On Sunday, 27 September, the world's greatest players will compete in the main draw, in a transformed stadium, in a tournament broadcast in 222 countries around the world. 

"The new rules mean that we will be required to adapt our ticketing situation, by organising a draw for each day of the tournament among the current ticket-holders. These draws will be supervised by a legal custodian."

Related items

  • Zverev clinches back-to-back titles with victory in Cologne Zverev clinches back-to-back titles with victory in Cologne

    Alexander Zverev sealed his second ATP title in the space of a week as the German overcame Diego Schwartzman in the Cologne Championships final.

    World number seven Zverev beat Felix Auger-Aliassime to claim the Cologne Indoors title on October 18 and continued his fine form in the city with a 6-2 6-1 triumph on Sunday.

    Schwartzman had denied Auger-Aliassime the chance to avenge his previous defeat but was never a match for in-form Zverev, who hit nine aces – to his opponent's zero – and saved the only break point he faced.

    After an even start, Zverev nosed himself ahead with a break of Schwartzman's serve in the fifth game of the opener, with another concession from the Argentine following.

    Zverev swiftly wrapped things up with his first set point, though Schwartzman rallied to gain a break point in the opening game of the final set.

    It was an opportunity the world number nine failed to grasp, however, and Zverev made him pay with some clinical shots, rounding off the victory – and his second title of 2020 – with a supreme forehand down the line.

  • Coronavirus scare disrupted Dybala contract talks – Juve chief Paratici Coronavirus scare disrupted Dybala contract talks – Juve chief Paratici

    Juventus are keen to renew Paulo Dybala's contract, but managing director Fabio Paratici revealed the club's coronavirus scare made negotiations difficult.

    Dybala has two years remaining on his existing deal in Turin but an extension has long been mooted, with the Bianconeri said to be discussing an agreement until 2025.

    But no clarity has been forthcoming in the opening weeks of the 2020-21 season.

    Paratici is not overly concerned, though, explaining the reason for the delay.

    "We're in talks to extend Paulo's contract," he told Sky Sport Italia. "He wants to stay and we want to keep him - he's part of our future.

    "It has been a tricky period because we were locked in the hotel for two weeks due to the COVID scare and not allowed to meet anyone.

    "But we'll continue the negotiations to find an agreement."

    Juve were forced into "fiduciary isolation" earlier this month after two staff members tested positive for COVID-19.

    Cristiano Ronaldo has also been missing in recent weeks having contracted the virus on international duty.

    The absence of the Juve number seven allowed Dybala to come into the team against Hellas Verona on Sunday for his first start and just second overall appearance of the new campaign.

    Dybala made his return off the bench against Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League, and Paratici said ahead of Sunday's game: "Paulo is in better shape physically now.

    "Let's not forget he was out for two months with a muscular injury, then had a gastrointestinal infection in Argentina.

    "It's right that he now has the opportunity to start after a few run-outs."

  • Brazil and Barcelona great Ronaldinho tests positive for coronavirus Brazil and Barcelona great Ronaldinho tests positive for coronavirus

    Brazil and Barcelona legend Ronaldinho has confirmed he has tested positive for COVID-19. 

    Ronaldinho, who won 97 caps for Brazil between 1999 and 2013, posted a video to his Instagram story revealing his diagnosis. 

    The 40-year-old said he is asymptomatic and is self-isolating in Belo Horizonte, having arrived in the city on Saturday. 

    "I've been here in BH since yesterday, I came to participate in an event," Ronaldinho said on Sunday. 

    "I took the test and tested positive for COVID. I'm fine, asymptomatic, but we'll have to leave the event for later. Soon we will be there together. Big hug!" 

    It has been a turbulent year for Ronaldinho who, along with his brother Roberto Assis, was jailed in Paraguay in March after entering the country with fake passports. 

    The pair were moved to house arrest in a Paraguayan hotel in April after serving 32 days in prison, with their sentences ending in August. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.