US Open prize money cut, winners to receive $850,000 less

By Sports Desk August 05, 2020

This year's US Open winners will receive $850,000 less than the 2019 champions, but the United States Tennis Association (USTA) upped the first-round prize money.

The major will take place behind closed doors in New York amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and is scheduled to begin on August 31.

Men's and women's singles winners in 2020 will receive $3million, down from the $3.85m that was paid out last year, with the total player compensation package dropping from a record $57.2m for the previous edition to $53.4m.

While runners-up, semi- and quarter-finalists will also see their payouts reduced, a first-round appearance will earn $61,000 in 2020 – an increase from $58,000 in 2019.

The USTA will also provide $6.6m in grants and subsidies to players due to the absence of a qualifying tournament and a reduced doubles draw.

"We're proud to be able to offer a player compensation package that maintains nearly 95 per cent of the prize pool from 2019," said USTA CEO and executive director Mike Dowse.

"The prize money distribution for the 2020 US Open is the result of close collaboration between the USTA, WTA and ATP, and represents a commitment to supporting players and their financial well-being during an unprecedented time."

Men's reigning champion Rafael Nadal and women's world number one Ash Barty have opted out of the US Open due to concerns about COVID-19.

Related items

  • Djokovic wins just three games in shock defeat to Sonego at Vienna Open Djokovic wins just three games in shock defeat to Sonego at Vienna Open

    World number one Novak Djokovic is out of the Vienna Open after a shock 6-2 6-1 quarter-final defeat to unfancied Lorenzo Sonego.

    Ranked 42 in the world, Sonego had failed to win a single set in his three previous meetings with players inside the top 10.

    But the 25-year-old Italian produced a scintillating performance against the top seed as he became the first lucky loser to beat Djokovic.

    "It's unbelievable. It's amazing," Sonego said in an interview on court after wrapping up the win in 68 minutes.

    "For sure, it's the best victory of my life. Novak is the best in the world. I played so, so good."

    Djokovic's surprise exit at the Wiener Stadthalle meant the Serbian missed the opportunity to guarantee top spot in the year-end ATP Rankings this week.

    The 33-year-old is still poised, however, to tie Pete Sampras' record of six year-end number one finishes unless Rafael Nadal takes up an unlikely wildcard for next month's Sofia Open, with reports indicating the Spaniard has already rejected such an opportunity.

  • Ronaldo clear of COVID-19 after negative test result Ronaldo clear of COVID-19 after negative test result

    Juventus could have Cristiano Ronaldo available for Sunday's Serie A clash with Spezia after the club announced he has recovered from COVID-19.

    The Portugal forward had been self-isolating since testing positive for the virus while away on international duty in early October. 

    Ronaldo has not played for Juve since a 2-2 draw against Roma at the end of September, and this week missed a reunion with Barcelona adversary Lionel Messi in the Champions League. 

    A statement from Juventus said: "Cristiano Ronaldo carried out the check with a diagnostic test (swab) for COVID-19. 

    "The examination gave a negative result. The player is therefore cured after 19 days and is no longer subjected to home isolation."

  • Denver Broncos cancel practice after positive COVID-19 test Denver Broncos cancel practice after positive COVID-19 test

    The Denver Broncos postponed a planned practice on Friday as a precaution after a player tested positive for COVID-19.

    As they prepare for Sunday's home game against the Los Angeles Chargers, the Broncos will hold virtual meetings while operating under the league's coronavirus protocols amid the health pandemic.

    Denver also confirmed that the individual who tested positive is now in self-isolation, as are two other players deemed to have been close contacts.

    "We were informed early this morning that a Broncos player has tested positive for COVID-19," a statement from the team read.

    "The player is at home in self-isolation along with two other players who were determined to be close contacts. Our organisation, which has been operating under the league's intensive protocols, is in consultation with the NFL and taking guidance from medical experts.

    "As a precaution, we have made the decision to postpone today's practice and conduct virtual meetings in preparation for Sunday's game against the Chargers. The team is scheduled to return to UCHealth Training Center for practice tomorrow.

    "The health and safety of the players, coaches and staff will continue to be of the highest priority."

    According to an ESPN report citing an unnamed source, a player from the Minnesota Vikings roster has also returned a positive test result for the virus. 

    The Vikings travel to face divisional rivals Green Bay in Week 8 of the regular season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.