Coronavirus: Djokovic tests positive for COVID-19

By Sports Desk June 23, 2020

World number one Novak Djokovic has tested positive for coronavirus. 

The 33-year-old and his wife Jelena returned positive tests in Belgrade after returning from the curtailed Adria Tour, while his children tested negative. 

The 17-time grand slam singles champion is asymptomatic and will now isolate for 14 days. 

"The moment we arrived in Belgrade we went to be tested. My result is positive, just as Jelena's, while the results of our children are negative," a statement from Djokovic via the Adria Tour's Instagram account read. 

"Everything we did in the past month, we did with a pure heart and sincere intentions. Our tournament meant to unite and share a message of solidarity and compassion throughout the region. 

"The Tour has been designed to help both established and up and coming tennis players from south-eastern Europe to gain access to some competitive tennis while the various tours are on hold due to the COVID-19 situation. 

"It was all born with a philanthropic idea, to direct all raised funds towards people in need and it warmed my heart to see how everybody strongly responded to this."

Djokovic was a driving force behind the creation of the Adria Tour, which took place in Serbia and Croatia in front of large crowds and saw players shaking hands despite concerns over social distancing. 

However, the final between Djokovic and Andrey Rublev was cancelled when Grigor Dimitrov tested positive for COVID-19 and Borna Coric later confirmed he too had contracted coronavirus. 

Viktor Troicki, who played in the tournament in Belgrade, and his wife also tested positive for the virus.

The decision to hold the event during the pandemic has been criticised by Tour players including Nick Kyrgios and Dan Evans, while long-term rival and friend Andy Murray described the fall-out as "a lesson for all of us". 

"We organised the tournament at the moment when the virus has weakened, believing that the conditions for hosting the Tour had been met," Djokovic said. 

"Unfortunately, this virus is still present, and it is a new reality that we are still learning to cope and live with. 

"I am hoping things will ease in time so we can all resume lives the way they were. 

"I am extremely sorry for each individual case of infection. I hope that it will not complicate anyone's health situation and that everyone will be fine.

"I will remain in self-isolation for the next 14 days, and repeat the test in five days."

Related items

  • Zverev still unsure if he'll play US Open Zverev still unsure if he'll play US Open

    World number seven Alexander Zverev is still unsure if he will play the US Open.

    The grand slam is scheduled to start on August 31 amid the coronavirus pandemic, but uncertainty remains over the strength of the field due to health concerns.

    Zverev, coming off three wins at the Ultimate Tennis Showdown, is unsure if he will make the trip to New York.

    "I will see because the situation right now in the US is not that great so I don't know what we will decide with my team," the German told Tennis Majors.

    "I want to play tournaments, but I think the US right now is a little bit of a funny place."

    The United States has seen more than 4.8 million confirmed cases of coronavirus, with the death toll exceeding 158,000.

    Zverev, 23, said he would wait and see before making a decision on the US Open.

    "I think just see how it develops over the next few weeks, if the cases go up, how the travelling will be and if it will be safe," he said.

    "I might not to go there if I don't feel safe, my team doesn't feel safe. I'm still quite young but everybody that is involved with me maybe is a little bit older and they're in more danger than I am."

  • Cespedes opts out of MLB season due to coronavirus-related concerns Cespedes opts out of MLB season due to coronavirus-related concerns

    New York Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes has decided to play no further part in the 2020 MLB season due to coronavirus-related concerns. 

    The Mets revealed they had not been able to contact the outfielder after he did not turn up for a 4-0 loss to the Atlanta Braves on Sunday. 

    Cespedes was due to be at Truist Park despite not being named in the line-up. 

    Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said: "As of game time, Yoenis Cespedes has not reported to the ballpark today. 

    "He did not reach out to management with any explanation for his absence. Our attempts to contact him have been unsuccessful." 

    Van Wagenen later revealed the 34-year-old Cuban's agent had informed the Mets he will not play again in the current campaign, citing the COVID-19 pandemic for the decision. 

    It will bring Cespedes' time with the Mets to an end, as he is set to be an unrestricted free agent when the campaign is over. 

    "We support everybody and every player's right to make this type of decision. This is a challenging time for everyone," Van Wagenen said to the media. 

    "It was surprising, without question. At the same point, we have to go forward and not allow anything to keep us from going forward." 

    Two-time All Star Cespedes has been beset by injury problems but was on the Mets' Opening-Day roster following two years on the sidelines. 

    He hit the winning home run against the Braves in a dream return and has featured in eight of the Mets' first nine games.

  • Tennis is back: US Open looms large, amid doubles, bubbles and COVID troubles Tennis is back: US Open looms large, amid doubles, bubbles and COVID troubles

    Tennis had a rotten lockdown but now the professional tours are emerging from hibernation. 

    The men must wait a fortnight, but in Sicily a number of leading women will, from Monday, take part in the Palermo Open, a minor clay-court event that will face scrutiny like it has never known before. 

    Tennis must prove it can stage events responsibly, not least because the sport's reputation took a hit with the calamitous ad hoc Adria Tour. That event saw stars including men's world number one Novak Djokovic, whose brainchild it was, and Grigor Dimitrov hit by coronavirus. 

    The ATP and the WTA, governing bodies of the men's and women's tours respectively, will apply stringent rules and demand impeccable player compliance over the coming months. 

    They have already seen tennis wiped out in China for the rest of the year, on top of Wimbledon's cancellation, and can ill afford any further momentous setbacks. 

    At the end of August, the US Open is due to begin at Flushing Meadows, a behind-closed-doors grand slam.

    But with a number of leading players already opting out or showing reluctance to travel during the pandemic period, it would be easier to return a barrage of John Isner serves than to accurately figure how the rest of the tennis year pans out. 

    Sicily for starters

    Palermo organisers expected Simona Halep, the world number two and reigning Wimbledon champion, to join them, and it was with "great bitterness" that they acknowledged the news she would be staying at home in Romania. 

    Halep cited rising COVID-19 cases in her home country and her own "anxieties around international air travel". 

    Jelena Ostapenko, Johanna Konta and Svetlana Kuznetsova were among others to pull out, with a number of factors behind the loss of a host of the event's star attractions. 

    Arguably, though, the standard of the tennis in the week ahead will pale into insignificance against the success of the tournament from a health and safety perspective. 

    One player tested positive for coronavirus after arriving in Palermo, organisers said on Saturday, and was kept away from all others, withdrawing from the tournament. 

    The eyes of the tennis world will focus on the modest ASD Country Time Club, not least because a small number of tennis fans will also be allowed entry. 

    American trilogy

    Can the United States, where over 150,000 have died with coronavirus, provide safe haven for the biggest stars in tennis later this month? 

    Authorities are optimistic ahead of a disrupted US hard-court swing getting under way, but there can be no guarantees, despite best efforts. There are three major tournaments in the US in August, each brimming with the biggest names in the game. 

    A new WTA event in Kentucky was announced in mid-July, and starts on August 10, with a field boasting Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Sloane Stephens and Coco Gauff.  

    From Kentucky, the best women's players in the world will head to New York for the Western and Southern Open, relocated to Flushing Meadows from Cincinnati this year in a move to save the tournament. 

    That event, scheduled to run from August 21 to 28, is where the elite men make their re-entrance, with no ATP events scheduled until then. 

    And the following week sees the US Open get under way at the same venue - all being well. 

    Players will be expected to keep to their tournament bubbles throughout, tests will be carried out and players closely monitored. Any slip-ups could spell peril. 

    Who's coming back? Who's not?

    Halep is skipping Palermo and as of Sunday, August 2, she was not listed for the Western and Southern Open; however, she may play an event in Prague, starting on August 10. 

    Given Halep's clear travel concerns, it would be little surprise were she to skip the US Open, which is a decision world number one Ash Barty has already taken. Barty's fellow Australian, Nick Kyrgios, has also chosen not to travel to the United States. 

    Great Britain's Andy Murray, who appears keen to head to the States, has suggested a number of leading male players will swerve the US tournaments, yet the likes of Rafael Nadal, Djokovic and Dominic Thiem have entered the Western and Southern Open. 

    Any of those players could still pull out, Nadal having notably expressed misgivings about international travel during lockdown. 

    But will the temptation to go after another grand slam title at the US Open prove too alluring? Nadal is just one behind Roger Federer's record haul of 20 men's singles slams, with Djokovic having 17 majors to his name. 

    Federer is sitting out all this drama, having undergone season-ending knee surgery. 

    It comes as no surprise to see Serena Williams, one short of Margaret Court's women's record of 24 singles slams, committing fully to the weeks ahead. 

    With no Barty and perhaps no Halep, Williams, who turns 39 next month, may perhaps never have a better opportunity to draw level with Court.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.