Coronavirus: Djokovic kept lockdown training quiet to avoid riling rivals

By Sports Desk May 25, 2020

Novak Djokovic kept it quiet that he was able to train almost every day during lockdown as the world number one did not want to "infuriate other players".

Djokovic is back in Serbia after spending two months in Marbella, as the coronavirus pandemic prevented him from returning to his homeland.

The 17-time grand slam champion, who is set to host and play in the new Adria Tour next month, did not want to make it public that he had been able to stay more active than most of his rivals during his time in Spain.

He said at a press conference in Belgrade on Monday: "Unlike many other players, I was able to train almost every day because we resided in a house with a tennis court.

"I refrained from posting clips on social networks because I didn't want to infuriate other players. I am fit and in good shape, so I am looking forward to the Adria Tour, which I am organising."

Djokovic, who turned 33 last Friday, revealed that Alexander Zverev is the latest player who has committed to playing on the Adria Tour.

The world number seven has agreed to play in the June 13-14 event in Belgrade and could be on court in Zadar, Croatia a week later.

Djokovic added that matches in Montenegro and Bosnia-Herzegovina have not yet been 100 per cent confirmed.

The events have been arranged to raise money for "humanitarian projects across the region" as well as helping tennis players get back in shape during the ATP Tour suspension.

Dominic Thiem and Grigor Dimitrov are among the other players who will feature.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Chicago Marathon cancelled over COVID-19 concerns Coronavirus: Chicago Marathon cancelled over COVID-19 concerns

    The 2020 Chicago Marathon has been cancelled due to ongoing health concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic, organisers announced on Monday. 

    The annual event, which was scheduled for October 11, is the third major marathon in the United States to be called off amid the COVID-19 outbreak.

    The New York Marathon previously cancelled its planned November 1 running and the Boston Marathon was postponed from April 20 to September 14 before ultimately being shelved. 

    Chicago's marathon generally attracts approximately 45,000 participants and more than one million spectators. 

    "Like all Chicagoans, I'm personally disappointed that this year's event won't take place as originally planned," Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said in a statement.

    "However, we look forward to welcoming all runners and their cheering squads once again when the Chicago Marathon returns to our city in full force for another very exciting race." 

    Event organisers said all registered participants for the 2020 race can either have their entry fee refunded or used for the 2021, 2022 or 2023 editions.  

  • Coronavirus: WBO junior lightweight title bout off after Herring tests positive for COVID-19 Coronavirus: WBO junior lightweight title bout off after Herring tests positive for COVID-19

    The WBO junior lightweight title bout has been called off after champion Jamel Herring tested positive for coronavirus.

    Herring (21-2) and Jonathan Oquendo (31-6) were due to meet at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Tuesday, after the fight was originally scheduled for July 2.

    The bout was initially postponed after Herring contracted COVID-19 and promoter Top Rank announced on Monday that the American boxer tested positive a second time.

    Top Rank did not announce whether the fight would be rescheduled.

    "I feel great, I had the best [weight] cut ever. I was actually on weight days ago," Herring told ESPN. "I'm actually more bummed out about this for my team because we put in so much work.

    "We even had the extra weeks for the fight after the original date. The main thing is I took time away from my family. But I'm more upset for the people around me. But I feel great."

    Herring, who wants the bout to be rescheduled for August, later tweeted: "These tests are 30 per cent faulty... Here's clearly my timeline of when I contracted the virus, till the time I came back negative.

    "I even woke up today on weight, ready to go, and even took an antibody test this morning to prove I'm fine, but the commission didn't want to risk it.

    "Crazy thing is... this was the easiest weight cut that I had! I wasn't drained, and I could've made weight earlier last week. My trainer and manager @BomacBrian wanted to see if I could compete at 126... but that's pushing it

    "I did everything possible. They asked me to take the antibody test this morning, just for them to return and cancel the fight."

    Herring retained his WBO junior lightweight belt against Lamont Roach Jr. in November, having won the title in May last year.

  • Coronavirus: Toronto v DC United postponed by MLS Coronavirus: Toronto v DC United postponed by MLS

    Toronto's clash with DC United, which was scheduled for Sunday, has been postponed due to an unconfirmed positive COVID-19 test and an inconclusive one.

    Major League Soccer (MLS) confirmed the two results in question came from players, while everyone on both teams has since been retested.

    But because the results of the second tests – which took place on Sunday morning in Orlando, where the MLS is Back competition is being hosted – are not expected before the initially scheduled kick-off time, the league was left with no option but to postpone the contest.

    An MLS statement read: "Major League Soccer announced that today's DC United vs Toronto FC match has been postponed and will be rescheduled. MLS will announce details later today [Sunday] for the rescheduled match.

    "Under the league's health and safety protocols, clubs are tested the day before each match. The results of yesterday's tests for D.C. United and Toronto FC produced an initial unconfirmed positive COVID-19 case for one player and an inconclusive test for another player.

    "Because of the arrival time of the clubs in Orlando, the league's protocol called for retesting both teams this morning and to await the results of those tests prior to playing the match.

    "Major League Soccer will continue to prioritise the health and safety of all participants of the MLS is Back tournament in making these decisions."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.