Coronavirus: Andy Murray expects tennis to be one of last sports to return

By Sports Desk April 22, 2020

Andy Murray believes tennis will be one of the last sports to return amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Sport has been brought to a standstill around the world due to COVID-19, which has killed more than 183,700 people.

With travel restrictions in place in most countries, tennis is set to be greatly impacted for longer than most other sports, and the ATP and WTA Tour seasons are suspended until at least July 13.

Murray, who was nearing a competitive return from a hip injury, said he expected tennis to be among the last to resume.

"I would definitely play on the clay if it goes ahead. I'm a bit skeptical whether it will," the three-time grand slam champion told CNN on Wednesday.

"I'd imagine that tennis would be one of the last sports to get back to normality because we've obviously got players and coaches and teams coming from all over the world into one area.

"I'd be surprised if they were back playing sport by September time, but we'll see."

The United Kingdom has been hit hard by coronavirus, with more than 133,400 confirmed cases and a death toll exceeding 18,000.

Murray, 32, said he was unwell a month ago, although he was unsure if he had dealt with COVID-19.

"I was a little bit sick for two or three days about four weeks ago. So actually, before the beginning of when the quarantine started, I was sort of isolating for probably four or five days before that," he said.

"Most people I've spoken to have had some sort of symptoms and felt a little bit sick, but it's quite difficult to know whether you have actually had the virus or not.

"And obviously, the test should be saved for people that are in severe situations and the frontline NHS [National Health Service] workers in this country."

Related items

  • Embiid: I can carry Philadelphia 76ers Embiid: I can carry Philadelphia 76ers

    Philadelphia 76ers star Joel Embiid said he can carry the championship hopefuls as the league prepares to return following the coronavirus-enforced break.

    The 2019-20 NBA season is set to restart via a 22-team format at the Disney World complex in Orlando, Florida on July 30 after the campaign was halted due to COVID-19 in March.

    All eyes will be on three-time All-Star center Embiid when the NBA returns following the coronavirus pandemic.

    Philadelphia will recommence against Eastern Conference rivals the Indiana Pacers, who share identical 39-26 records to be fifth and sixth respectively, on August 1.

    Embiid, who had been averaging 23.4 points, 11.8 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game this season, insisted the 76ers' offense should go through him.

    "I know what I'm capable of, and I know what my team-mates think of me," Embiid said in a conference call with reporters on Tuesday.

    "I know I'm capable of carrying the team, so it's all about me being assertive. If I feel like I'm not getting the ball, I just got to talk to them and do what I have to do.

    "But at the end of the day, I should never be in a position to complain about getting the ball, just because of who I am.

    "I believe I can carry the team, and I believe being able to do that, I just got to take matters into my own hands. And obviously, I need to be in positions where I feel comfortable, and I believe my team-mates are going to help."

    The 76ers – 14 games behind the Eastern Conference and NBA-leading Milwaukee Bucks (53-12) – are also set to be boosted by the return of fellow All-Star Ben Simmons.

    Simmons has been sidelined since February due to a back injury, while there continues to be doubts over whether the Australian and Embiid can coexist in Philadelphia due to their contrasting styles.

    "We're going to need him," Embiid said. "It's a team game. I'm going to do my best to keep helping him and create some space for him, and we all got to do the same thing just to help each other.

    "At the end of the day, it's all about winning a championship, and I feel like he has the right mindset, that's what he wants to do. I know one thing about him, he wants to win, and he's going to do what it takes to win. So whatever we're going to need him to do, that's what he has to do."

  • Rafael Nadal confirms Madrid test between US Open and French Open dates Rafael Nadal confirms Madrid test between US Open and French Open dates

    Rafael Nadal has chosen to launch his clay-court season in Madrid during the week that follows the US Open.

    The world number two could face a hectic schedule if he elects to travel to New York to defend his grand slam title.

    That tournament will be behind closed doors at Flushing Meadows and it remains to be seen whether the Madrid Open, a Masters Series event, must also operate in the same circumstances.

    Madrid's showpiece event was postponed from May and is now scheduled to begin on Sunday, September 13, the day of the men's US Open final.

    Nadal may not need to play in Madrid until possibly the Wednesday, but it is possible he could be considering skipping the trip to the United States, focusing instead on the delayed clay-court swing.

    After Madrid comes the Internazionali d’Italia in Rome, with the French Open, which Nadal has won a record 12 times, then beginning on September 27.

    The 34-year-old Nadal has previously indicated he was unsure about travelling to New York, questioning whether that event should happen given the COVID-19 crisis.

    Playing closer to home is more straightforward for Spain's 19-time grand slam winner.

    Madrid tournament director Feliciano Lopez, who as a player won the Queen's Club singles and doubles titles last year, wrote on Twitter that Nadal had agreed to play his tournament.

    "I've spoken with my friend @RafaelNadal and he's confirmed he will take part in Madrid this September," Lopez said.

    He said Nadal would be welcomed "with open arms" at the event.

    Nadal responded by writing: "Same with you Feli. See you in September in Madrid."

  • Coronavirus: NHL, NHLPA reach return-to-play agreement Coronavirus: NHL, NHLPA reach return-to-play agreement

    The NHL and the NHL Players' Association (NHLPA) reached a tentative agreement to restart the coronavirus-affected 2019-20 season next month and extend the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) by four years. 

    The agreement, which calls for training camps to open on July 14 and a 24-team playoff to start August 1 in two hub cities – expected to be Toronto and Edmonton after the season was halted in March due to COVID-19 – will go into effect once ratified by the league's board of governors and the NHLPA's executive board as well as the players.  

    If approved, the CBA would run through 2025-26 and ensure 14 years of labour peace since a lockout shortened the 2012-13 season to 48 games. Details of the extension have not yet been made public. 

    The NHL did reveal details of the health and safety protocols agreed to by both parties that were necessary for the planned restart.

    They include daily testing for COVID-19 once players and team personnel have returned to their club's facility.

    Those who test positive or develop symptoms will be placed in isolation for a minimum of 10 days and must twice test negative before being allowed to rejoin the team. 

    Teams will also be limited to 31-player rosters and a maximum of 52 people in their traveling parties once games begin, with players to be housed separately in hotel rooms and forbidden to enter each other's rooms. Family members will be permitted to join players for only the conference finals and Stanley Cup Final.  

    Players can elect not to participate in the resumption but must notify their team within 72 hours of the completion of the ratification process. 

    Though terms of the CBA agreement are currently unknown, they are expected to resolve issues involving the salary cap and escrow payments from players to owners to guarantee an even split of league revenues. An agreement for players to be able to resume playing in future Olympics has also been a noted sticking point in negotiations. 

    NHL players did not compete in the 2018 Games in PyeongChang, South Korea after taking part in five consecutive Olympics from 1998-2014. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.