ATP

Jarry hit with backdated 11-month doping ban, free to play from November

By Sports Desk April 20, 2020

Nicolas Jarry has been banned for 11 months after testing positive for two prohibited substances but is free to resume playing from November after the ITF backdated his punishment.

Chilean Jarry was provisionally suspended on January 14 after a urine sample taken at the Davis Cup contained the anabolic agent ligandrol and anabolic steroid stanozolol.

Jarry protested his innocence saying at the time that "the levels of these substances are so incredibly low that they are equivalent to trillionths of a gram, levels so low that neither substance could have provided me any performance-enhancing benefit".

Jarry said he had consumed "multi-vitamins made in Brazil" that his doctor said would be "guaranteed to be free from banned substances". The ITF has accepted his version of events and backdated his suspension.

"Mr. Jarry was charged with an Anti-Doping Rule Violation under Article 2.1 of the Programme (presence of a Prohibited Substance in a Player’s Sample) on 4 January 2020 and was provisionally suspended on 14 January 2020," an ITF statement read. 

"The ITF accepted Mr. Jarry's explanation as to how the SARM LGD-4033 and stanozolol entered his system and that he bore No Significant Fault or Negligence for his violation. Mr. Jarry was entitled to have his period of ineligibility backdated to start on the date of last occurrence of his violation. 

"This is Mr. Jarry's first Anti-Doping Rule Violation. The decision determines that: (1) Mr. Jarry has committed a violation of the Programme; (2) he must serve a period of ineligibility of eleven months; and (3) that period of ineligibility is backdated to start on 16 December 2019, and so ending at midnight on 15 November 2020. 

"In accordance with Programme articles 9.1 and 10.8, all ranking points and prize money obtained by Mr. Jarry at the Event and subsequent events are disqualified."

Jarry was ranked as high as 38th in July, the same month he won his first and only ATP Tour singles title at the Swedish Open and is now ranked 89th. He has also won two doubles trophies.

A statement on his Twitter account read: 

"With a clear conscience I tell you that we were able to prove in the investigation carried out by the ITF that the prohibited substances identified in the test, were originated in the Brazilian laboratory which cross-contaminated my vitamins.

"I have accepted the 11-month sanction offered by the ITF."

Related items

  • Rafael Nadal confirms Madrid test between US Open and French Open dates Rafael Nadal confirms Madrid test between US Open and French Open dates

    Rafael Nadal has chosen to launch his clay-court season in Madrid during the week that follows the US Open.

    The world number two could face a hectic schedule if he elects to travel to New York to defend his grand slam title.

    That tournament will be behind closed doors at Flushing Meadows and it remains to be seen whether the Madrid Open, a Masters Series event, must also operate in the same circumstances.

    Madrid's showpiece event was postponed from May and is now scheduled to begin on Sunday, September 13, the day of the men's US Open final.

    Nadal may not need to play in Madrid until possibly the Wednesday, but it is possible he could be considering skipping the trip to the United States, focusing instead on the delayed clay-court swing.

    After Madrid comes the Internazionali d’Italia in Rome, with the French Open, which Nadal has won a record 12 times, then beginning on September 27.

    The 34-year-old Nadal has previously indicated he was unsure about travelling to New York, questioning whether that event should happen given the COVID-19 crisis.

    Playing closer to home is more straightforward for Spain's 19-time grand slam winner.

    Madrid tournament director Feliciano Lopez, who as a player won the Queen's Club singles and doubles titles last year, wrote on Twitter that Nadal had agreed to play his tournament.

    "I've spoken with my friend @RafaelNadal and he's confirmed he will take part in Madrid this September," Lopez said.

    He said Nadal would be welcomed "with open arms" at the event.

    Nadal responded by writing: "Same with you Feli. See you in September in Madrid."

  • Brandon Burke makes history: First Jamaican on WTA board Brandon Burke makes history: First Jamaican on WTA board

    The Women's Tennis Association (WTA), announced last week, that Brandon Burke has been elected to its board by a vote from the WTA Players’ Council and will be formally seated in September.

    The 27-year-old Burke, who is to be a Player Representative on the WTA Board, is the first Jamaican to fill a board position at this level.

    "I am humbled and grateful for this opportunity because it’s the kind of job if I had got at 50 or 60, it would still be a huge thing in my career, and to have got it at 27 is amazing,” Burke said.

    Burke, who will become the youngest member on the board, is set to join Iva Majoli, Michael Segal, and Vanessa Webb on the player board, engaging with players' council members and the players ranking groups they represent. They will be responsible for assuring that the board and WTA management are fully informed of their constituency's point of view.

    A six-time Jamaica Davis Cup national team member and an accomplished collegiate athlete, Burke is currently the Chief Operating Officer and legal consultant for Sports Travel Experts, developing successful sporting events throughout Canada and the Caribbean, such as the Canadian Pickleball Series and the Caribbean Cup Tennis Series.

    "We are excited to have Brandon join the board and we are confident that his expertise in event management, marketing strategy, and law will bring invaluable support to the WTA Tour and its players," said Steve Simon, WTA Chairman, and CEO. "I look forward to working with Brandon and the other board members to drive continued growth for the WTA."

    Burke will formally replace Dianne Hayes, who held the position as a WTA player board representative for over six years.

    The WTA Board of Directors is comprised of eight voting directors of which three are appointed by the players, three are appointed by the tournaments, one is appointed by the International Tennis Federation (ITF), and the WTA CEO, who also serves as chairman. Additional members of the board include three alternates representing the players, tournaments, and the ITF.

  • ATP revises ranking systems due to coronavirus ATP revises ranking systems due to coronavirus

    The ATP has confirmed its rankings system will be revised due to the impact of coronavirus.

    Tennis across the globe had to be halted due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with exhibition tournaments taking place sporadically in June, albeit under strict social distancing guidelines.

    The ATP Tour is now scheduled to restart in August with two tournaments ahead of the US Open.

    There are then three planned events in Europe before the French Open, which is set to be played in front of crowds.

    Ahead of the season's resumption, the ATP has now confirmed that the rankings will be revised to cover a period of 22 months, from March 2019 to December 2020, with the rankings having been frozen since March 16.

    This temporary change will be comprised of a player's "Best 18" results in the 22-month timeframe. 

    A player cannot count the same tournament twice, however, with the best of their two results counted.

    Tournament points added in 2020 will remain on a player's ranking for 52 weeks, or until the event is played again in 2021.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.