China withdraw from Davis Cup due to coronavirus travel restrictions

By Sports Desk February 18, 2020

China have pulled out of this year's Davis Cup due to travel restrictions imposed amid the spread of the coronavirus.

The Chinese team had been due to face Romania in a World Group I play-off on March 6-7, but they have forfeited the match.

Their withdrawal was announced by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) on Tuesday. The city of Piatra Neamt, in northern Romania, had been due to stage the fixture.

The ITF announced on Twitter: "The Davis Cup committee has accepted the withdrawal of China, PR from their Davis Cup World Group I play-off against Romania on 6-7 March.

"The increased restrictions in response to the current coronavirus outbreak have resulted in the China, PR team being unable to travel to this tie. Romania will advance to play in World Group I in September."

The coronavirus - officially named Covid-19 - has caused a host of sporting events in China and Asia to be postponed or cancelled.

Those affected have included Formula One's Chinese Grand Prix, the athletics World Indoor Championship, snooker's China Open and several golf tournaments.

China has seen over 70,000 confirmed cases during its outbreak, with the death toll rising above 1,800 victims.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Spain considers domestic tour that could star Nadal, report says Coronavirus: Spain considers domestic tour that could star Nadal, report says

    Could Rafael Nadal return to tennis in an all-Spanish series of tournaments before the global ATP season swings back into action?

    That was the possibility raised on Saturday by a report that indicates the Royal Spanish Tennis Federation (RFET) hopes to put on a domestic men's tour to enable the country's top players to build match fitness.

    Spanish sports newspaper Marca said it had learnt, through RFET sporting vice-president Tomas Carbonell, that plans were in the works for between eight and 10 tournaments to take place at clubs and academies in Spain.

    They would feature the country's leading players, open to those in the top 100, including world number two Nadal.

    Nadal on Saturday released an Instagram video showing how he and sister Maria Isabel are passing the time during lockdown, playing patio tennis over a couple of garden chairs.

    All ATP and WTA tournaments have been called off until mid-July, with Wimbledon cancelled, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The French Open has been controversially postponed from May until late September, starting just a week after the US Open wraps up.

    Nadal has triumphed a record 12 times at Roland Garros and would not want to go to Paris short of match practice, which may mean domestic competition could appeal to the 19-time grand slam winner.

    Spain's next-highest ranked men's player is world number 12 Roberto Bautista Agut, followed by Pablo Carreno Busta (25) and Albert Ramos-Vinolas (41).

    Marca reports the prospect of a Spanish tour would hinge on the mid-season hard-court swing, including the US Open, being cancelled.

  • Coronavirus: Spain considers domestic summer tour that could star Nadal, report says Coronavirus: Spain considers domestic summer tour that could star Nadal, report says

    Could Rafael Nadal return to tennis in an all-Spanish series of tournaments before the global ATP season swings back into action?

    That was the possibility raised on Saturday by a report that indicates the Royal Spanish Tennis Federation (RFET) hopes to put on a domestic men's tour to enable the country's top players to build match fitness.

    Spanish sports newspaper Marca said it had learnt, through RFET sporting vice-president Tomas Carbonell, that plans were in the works for between eight and 10 tournaments to take place at clubs and academies in Spain.

    They would feature the country's leading players, open to those in the top 100, including world number two Nadal.

    Nadal on Saturday released an Instagram video showing how he and sister Maria Isabel are passing the time during lockdown, playing patio tennis over a couple of garden chairs.

    All ATP and WTA tournaments have been called off until mid-July, with Wimbledon cancelled, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The French Open has been controversially postponed from May until late September, starting just a week after the US Open wraps up.

    Nadal has triumphed a record 12 times at Roland Garros and would not want to go to Paris short of match practice, which may mean domestic competition could appeal to the 19-time grand slam winner.

    Spain's next-highest ranked men's player is world number 12 Roberto Bautista Agut, followed by Pablo Carreno Busta (25) and Albert Ramos-Vinolas (41).

    Marca reports the prospect of a Spanish tour would hinge on the mid-season hard-court swing, including the US Open, being cancelled.

  • Halep: Being defending Wimbledon champion for two years 'rare and special' Halep: Being defending Wimbledon champion for two years 'rare and special'

    Simona Halep is saddened by the cancellation of this year's Wimbledon, but described the honour of being defending women's singles champion for two years as "rare and special".

    Wimbledon was this week cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has spread to over a million people worldwide.

    It will mark the first time since World War Two that the grass-court grand slam has not been held.

    Halep clinched her second major title at the All England Club last year, crushing Serena Williams in straight sets in the final.

    In an interview with The Times, she said of not being able to defend her title this year: "Even though the cancellation of Wimbledon felt inevitable after the past few weeks, I had hoped it might somehow find a way to stay on the calendar as it is such a special tournament.

    "So Wednesday was a sad day and I thought back to some of the happiest emotions of my life last year at the All England Club.

    "I will miss going back to see Centre Court, the scene of that amazing final last year. I will miss seeing my name on the wall and all the nice things you get as a member of the club. I will miss the grass, a surface I finally fell in love with.

    "I will miss wearing white. And I will miss the feeling of belonging as part of the huge tradition that Wimbledon represents.

    "I know that Wimbledon looked at other opportunities to stage the championships. They looked at playing without spectators and postponing, but none of these options worked because of the nature of the surface and the high number of people involved. It makes sense to call it off now so that we are all mentally prepared for it, rather than to wait and let people down at the last minute.

    "The club sent me a nice email on Wednesday. I had previously been discussing with them the prospect of doing some filming as the defending champion in the lead-up to the tournament. Hopefully we can do those things next year instead.

    "In a positive way, I will have the rare and special honour of being a reigning Wimbledon champion for two years. I love the tradition in which the defending champion gets to open play on Centre Court, so I hope I can still do that next year as that will be something to savour."

    The ATP and WTA Tours are both suspended and Wimbledon's cancellation has led to talk of the rest of the 2020 season being wiped out.

    "The virus is like nothing we have ever faced before, and it's important to remember that tennis is not important in comparison to this life-threatening opponent," added Halep.

    "At this point, I do not want to speculate on whether the remainder of the 2020 season will be shut down. We have to see clear signs that the virus is under control.

    "We have to let our governments and medical staff do their jobs, and when life starts returning to normal, then we can start to think about tennis."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.