ATP

Monfils to face Pospisil in Open Sud de France final

By Sports Desk February 08, 2020

Gael Monfils will face Vasek Pospisil in the final of the Open Sud de France after the home favourite clinched a straight-sets win over Filip Krajinovic.

Seeking his third title at the event, world number nine Monfils triumphed 7-6 (7-4) 6-2 in 82 minutes against the Serbian.

Monfils saved all three break points against Krajinovic in an impressive victory that maintains France's perfect record of ensuring a home player reaches the final of the Montpellier tournament.

The 2010 and 2014 champion will meet Pospisil on Sunday after the Canadian defeated David Goffin in three sets.

Goffin served for the match in the decider but lost three decisive games in a row as Pospisil triumphed 6-3 1-6 7-5 in two hours and 21 minutes.

At the Pune Open, Australia's James Duckworth was beaten 7-6 (7-2) 6-4 by Egor Gerasimov in the semi-finals.

The Belarusian dropped only five points behind his first serve as he reached a maiden ATP Tour final, where he will face Jiri Vesely.

Vesely saved match points for the second round in a row, outlasting second seed Ricardas Berankis 6-7 (8-10) 7-6 (7-3) 7-6 (9-7) in a draining encounter to secure a first final in nearly five years.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: I'd rather cancel them – Kvitova against grand slams without fans Coronavirus: I'd rather cancel them – Kvitova against grand slams without fans

    Petra Kvitova is not in favour of playing at a grand slam behind closed doors, claiming she would rather see the events cancelled than be held without fans.

    The WTA and ATP Tour have been heavily disrupted due to the coronavirus pandemic, with many tournaments postponed – the French Open having been pushed back to September – and others, including Wimbledon, cancelled altogether.

    Kvitova is returning to the court in a tournament in her native Czech Republic this week, which will be played without fans in attendance.

    However, the possibility of featuring in a grand slam behind closed doors does not appeal to the two-time Wimbledon champion.

    "I have my age and of course I would like to play another grand slam, but if it's like this, I'd rather cancel them," Kvitova, 30, said at a news conference.

    "Playing a grand slam is the greatest thing there is and playing without fans who are our engine doesn't look nice to me and the grand slam doesn't deserve it."

    The event Kvitova is taking part in this week features eight men and eight women, who will not shake hands before or after their matches, while ball boys will not be allowed to hand towels to the players.

    "We are here to reintroduce tennis not only to the Czech Republic, but also to the world," Kvitova added.

    "The hardest thing will be to find the rhythm, we haven't played a match for a very long time.

    "I hope nobody expects us to play fantastic tennis, because it may happen or it may not."

    The world number 12 opens her tournament against doubles specialist Barbora Krejcikova on Tuesday.

  • Coronavirus: Djokovic kept lockdown training quiet to avoid riling rivals Coronavirus: Djokovic kept lockdown training quiet to avoid riling rivals

    Novak Djokovic kept it quiet that he was able to train almost every day during lockdown as the world number one did not want to "infuriate other players".

    Djokovic is back in Serbia after spending two months in Marbella, as the coronavirus pandemic prevented him from returning to his homeland.

    The 17-time grand slam champion, who is set to host and play in the new Adria Tour next month, did not want to make it public that he had been able to stay more active than most of his rivals during his time in Spain.

    He said at a press conference in Belgrade on Monday: "Unlike many other players, I was able to train almost every day because we resided in a house with a tennis court.

    "I refrained from posting clips on social networks because I didn't want to infuriate other players. I am fit and in good shape, so I am looking forward to the Adria Tour, which I am organising."

    Djokovic, who turned 33 last Friday, revealed that Alexander Zverev is the latest player who has committed to playing on the Adria Tour.

    The world number seven has agreed to play in the June 13-14 event in Belgrade and could be on court in Zadar, Croatia a week later.

    Djokovic added that matches in Montenegro and Bosnia-Herzegovina have not yet been 100 per cent confirmed.

    The events have been arranged to raise money for "humanitarian projects across the region" as well as helping tennis players get back in shape during the ATP Tour suspension.

    Dominic Thiem and Grigor Dimitrov are among the other players who will feature.

  • French Open: Nadal, Laver and Gauff missing postponed Roland Garros French Open: Nadal, Laver and Gauff missing postponed Roland Garros
© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.