ATP

Del Potro faces more knee surgery as comeback is delayed

By Sports Desk January 26, 2020

Juan Martin del Potro will undergo knee surgery on Monday after a previous operation failed to rid him of pain, leaving the former US Open winner struggling even to walk up stairs.

The injury-blighted Argentinian suffered a fracture of his right kneecap at Queen's Club last June, a repeat of an injury he suffered in Shanghai in October 2018.

He had hoped to return to action before the end of 2019, but initial surgery did not bring results to the extent Del Potro had hoped, and he has not been able to return to the tennis circuit.

A statement from his communication team declared on Sunday that Del Potro, absent from the ongoing Australian Open, would have an operation in Miami.

The statement said 31-year-old Del Potro had taken advice from doctors in Argentina, Europe and the United States, with the majority of verdicts determining "a new intervention" in his right knee was required.

"After analysing the options, Delpo trusted Dr Lee Kaplan to perform the surgery scheduled for Monday, January 27th in Miami," the statement said.

"We hope that this is the definitive solution to eliminate the pain that not only has prevented Delpo from playing tennis, but also making it difficult for him to perform daily activities."

The statement added that pain has endured through Del Potro's attempts to get back on court, preventing him "from running and jumping, and even activities such as walking up stairs".

Del Potro, one of the most popular players with crowds on the men's tour, hoped to have been back in competition by last October.

His camp thanked well-wishers for their patience, as the statement added: "The situation is never easy when it comes to the physique of an athlete and, more importantly, the health of a person."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Federer challenges fans, celebrities in volleying drill Coronavirus: Federer challenges fans, celebrities in volleying drill

    Roger Federer challenged celebrities and fans to join in a volleying drill on social media on Tuesday.

    With the ATP Tour suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic, the 20-time grand slam champion looked to engage fans on social media.

    In a video posted on Twitter, Federer – wearing a panama hat – volleyed a ball repeatedly against a wall at close range, and asked others to do likewise.

    "Here's a helpful solo drill. Let's see what you got!" the Swiss great wrote.

    "Reply back with a video and I'll provide some tips. Choose your hat wisely #tennisathome."

    Many fans took up the challenge, with Federer replying to several efforts.

  • Coronavirus: Kyrgios offers to help struggling Australians Coronavirus: Kyrgios offers to help struggling Australians

    Nick Kyrgios has vowed to help anyone who has fallen on hard times due to the coronavirus crisis by delivering food to their doorstep.

    Australian world number 40 Kyrgios on Monday took to Instagram to offer his support for those struggling during the COVID-19 pandemic.

    He wrote: "If ANYONE is not working/not getting an income and runs out of food, or times are just tough...please don't go to sleep with an empty stomach.

    "Don't be afraid or embarrassed to send me a private message. I will be more than happy to share what I have. Even just for a box of noodles, a load of bread or milk.

    "I will drop it off at your doorstep, no questions asked."

    Unemployment is expected to soar in Australia following as a result of such unprecedented times, with businesses forced to close.

    Kyrgios also played a huge part in raising funds for the bushfire crisis in his homeland earlier this year.

  • Coronavirus: Zverev suspects he contracted COVID-19 prior to Australian Open Coronavirus: Zverev suspects he contracted COVID-19 prior to Australian Open

    Australian Open semi-finalist and German star Alexander Zverev suspects he contracted coronavirus in December.

    COVID-19 has wreaked havoc across the world, with more than 69,300 deaths globally and sport brought to a standstill.

    All ATP and WTA tournaments have been called off until mid-July, with Wimbledon cancelled, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Zverev produced his best grand slam performance at the Australian Open, where he reached the semi-finals in January, and the 22-year-old believes he may have been infected prior to the year's opening major in Melbourne.

    "My friend Brenda and I were in China on December 28," the world number seven told Bild.

    "You can't imagine how I coughed for a month in Australia. I had a fever for two or three days and I coughed for five or six hours. Brenda too. We didn't know what it was. It was a cough that I never had. I had no pain, but I coughed continuously every 10 seconds.

    "I had no pain, but I coughed continuously every ten seconds."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.