Australian Open 2020: Coco Gauff eyeing Tokyo Olympics after fairytale run ends in Melbourne

By Sports Desk January 26, 2020

Coco Gauff said playing at the Olympic Games in Tokyo this year is "definitely the goal" following the 15-year-old's Australian Open exit.

Gauff's fairytale run in Melbourne came to an end at the hands of fellow American Sofia Kenin, who rallied past the teenage sensation 6-7 (5-7) 6-3 6-0 in the fourth round on Sunday.

After dethroning defending champion Naomi Osaka, highly rated Gauff was unable to get past Kenin to reach her maiden grand slam quarter-final.

But the world number 67 was in good spirits post-match as she looks to qualify for Tokyo 2020.

"That's definitely the goal," Gauff told reporters when asked about the Olympics, which gets underway in July. "Hopefully I can get my ranking up and qualify. I'm sure the cutoff is French Open. 

"I'm pretty sure I only have like three tournaments before French Open, so… it will be difficult. But I'm going to try as hard as possible. I definitely do want to play the Olympics. I mean, it would be pretty cool."

Gauff dazzled in her first Australian Open main draw appearance, upstaging Venus Williams, Sorana Cirstea and Osaka en route to the last 16.

"My short-term goal is to improve," Gauff added. "That's the main thing. I'm doing well right now at 15. I still have so much I feel like I can get better on. Even my parents, my team, they all believe I can get better.

"I don't even think this is close to a peak for me, even though I'm doing well right now. The goal is just really to get better, you know, have these good runs at tournaments, building up my experience and playing more tournaments just so I can be ready for matches like this today."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: French Open rescheduling rushed and selfish, says Pablo Cuevas Coronavirus: French Open rescheduling rushed and selfish, says Pablo Cuevas

    The decision to push the French Open back to September amid the coronavirus pandemic was rushed and selfish, Pablo Cuevas has said.

    Last month the French Tennis Federation announced the tournament will begin at Roland Garros on September 20, having originally been scheduled to take place from May 24.

    The new date would see the competition start a week after the US Open in New York comes to an end. 

    It was a move met with widespread criticism and Cuevas, the world number 60, is bemused by the change, considering the impact it will have on players.

    "I think the Roland Garros decision was a bit rushed, perhaps without asking the ATP from what I know," the 2008 French Open men's doubles champion told Stats Perform. 

    "Also, it seems they didn't take into account the rest of the tournaments, the rest of the calendar, it was something weird.

    "Even more in this moment of solidarity, where we must have solidarity, it was something pretty selfish to go forward and set the dates without having any concern for the players and the rest of the calendar. All the players were a bit surprised."

    While there is still a chance the French Open could be held this year, Wimbledon will not be on the 2020 calendar.

    The All England Club this week cancelled the tournament, marking the first time since World War Two that the grass-court grand slam will not take place.

    "About the cancellation of Wimbledon, I think it was something pretty obvious," Cuevas added.

    "This [coronavirus] is being more serious that what it seemed at the beginning, it's taking a lot to control it, so I think it was a good decision made by the people at Wimbledon."

    Cuevas expects it to be a long time before life on the ATP and WTA Tours - which are both suspended - can return to normal.

    He said: "We don't know yet when we'll be able to compete again. It's one of the earliest sports to cancel everything and I think it will be one of the latest to get back because of all the nationalities involved.

    "Every country must free every airport and flights, so they have to control the pandemic, so that will make us get back after other sports. I don't know when we'll be able to start."

  • Coronavirus: Bill Gates warned Rafael Nadal pandemic would become 'complicated', says uncle Toni Coronavirus: Bill Gates warned Rafael Nadal pandemic would become 'complicated', says uncle Toni

    Rafael Nadal was told by Bill Gates in February that the coronavirus would become "complicated", according to the Spanish great's uncle Toni.

    The coronavirus pandemic has brought sport, including tennis, to a standstill around the world, with Wimbledon cancelled for the first time since World War II.

    Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer played in the Match in Africa in February and Toni said the 19-time grand slam champion was warned about coronavirus by Microsoft co-founder Gates.

    "When my nephew was playing in South Africa in February, he spoke to Bill Gates and he told him that what was happening in China was going to get complicated," Toni Nadal told Onda Cero on Thursday.

    The Mallorca Open, of which Toni Nadal is the tournament director, is among the events to have been postponed due to coronavirus.

    Toni Nadal hopes the tournament can still be held in 2020, saying: "It is not permanently suspended.

    "It will try to find new dates to see if it can be done in 2020."

  • Bogut 'still very keen' to play at Olympics despite postponement Bogut 'still very keen' to play at Olympics despite postponement

    Australia star Andrew Bogut is "still very keen" to play at the Olympics despite the Tokyo Games being pushed back until 2021.

    Bogut, 35, was expected to lead the Boomers at the Olympics this year, but the Games have been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    It led to questions over Bogut's future, but the Olympics remain a goal for the veteran, an NBA champion with the Golden State Warriors in 2015.

    "I'm still very keen. Obviously the plans for me were to get to the Olympics this year and then reassess," he told SEN on Thursday.

    "That's been thrown out of the window. I'm still up in the air about exactly what I'm going to do and how I go about my journey getting there and all that, I still haven't decided one way or another.

    "I think it's going to be a moving parts type thing and I think the main priority right now is to get this pandemic squashed.

    "Then, we can all make real-world decisions about our jobs and our families and all that kind of stuff, but until that happens it's kind of senseless to make decisions based on not knowing when the future's going to be open slather again."

    Australia have never won a medal in men's basketball at the Olympics, but finished fourth at the Rio Games in 2016.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.