Australian Open 2020: Do I like Kyrgios? I don't know - Nadal

By Sports Desk January 25, 2020

Rafael Nadal is unsure whether he likes Nick Kyrgios ahead of a potential last-16 clash at the Australian Open amid the pair's tense relationship.

World number one Nadal raced through to the fourth round at Melbourne Park thanks to Saturday's ruthless 6-1 6-2 6-4 victory over fellow Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta.

Next up for 19-time grand slam champion Nadal is either maligned Australian Kyrgios or Karen Khachanov in Melbourne.

All eyes have been on Nadal and Kyrgios since the latter described the Spanish superstar as "salty" last year, after the duo exchanged words at the 2019 Mexican Open.

That feud has been thrust into the spotlight after Kyrgios impersonated Nadal – who has called for the 24-year-old to show more respect – as he was called for a time violation during his second-round win against Gilles Simon at Melbourne Park.

Nadal was asked about Kyrgios following his match on Rod Laver Arena and the 2009 Australian Open champion's response was telling.

"I don't know. I don't know him personally, honestly, to have a clear opinion," Nadal told reporters when asked if he liked Kyrgios. "It's clear, of course, that when he does stuff that in my opinion is not good, I don't like. 

"When he plays good tennis and he shows passion for this game, he is a positive player for our tour, and I want my tour bigger, not smaller.

"So the players who make the tour bigger are important for the tour. When he's ready to play his best tennis and play with passion, is one of these guys. When he's doing the other stuff, of course I don't like."

Nadal produced a breathtaking and efficient display of tennis against Davis Cup team-mate Carreno Busta, hitting 42 winners and just seven unforced errors under the Melbourne sun.

The four-time Australian Open runner-up needed just one hour, 38 minutes to reach the last 16 of a slam for the 47th time in his career.

"It was my best match of the tournament so far, without a doubt. Big difference between today and the previous days," Nadal said. "I have been serving well, starting to create damage with the forehand. Hitting serve on one shot, I think."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: French Open rescheduling rushed and selfish, says Pablo Cuevas Coronavirus: French Open rescheduling rushed and selfish, says Pablo Cuevas

    The decision to push the French Open back to September amid the coronavirus pandemic was rushed and selfish, Pablo Cuevas has said.

    Last month the French Tennis Federation announced the tournament will begin at Roland Garros on September 20, having originally been scheduled to take place from May 24.

    The new date would see the competition start a week after the US Open in New York comes to an end. 

    It was a move met with widespread criticism and Cuevas, the world number 60, is bemused by the change, considering the impact it will have on players.

    "I think the Roland Garros decision was a bit rushed, perhaps without asking the ATP from what I know," the 2008 French Open men's doubles champion told Stats Perform. 

    "Also, it seems they didn't take into account the rest of the tournaments, the rest of the calendar, it was something weird.

    "Even more in this moment of solidarity, where we must have solidarity, it was something pretty selfish to go forward and set the dates without having any concern for the players and the rest of the calendar. All the players were a bit surprised."

    While there is still a chance the French Open could be held this year, Wimbledon will not be on the 2020 calendar.

    The All England Club this week cancelled the tournament, marking the first time since World War Two that the grass-court grand slam will not take place.

    "About the cancellation of Wimbledon, I think it was something pretty obvious," Cuevas added.

    "This [coronavirus] is being more serious that what it seemed at the beginning, it's taking a lot to control it, so I think it was a good decision made by the people at Wimbledon."

    Cuevas expects it to be a long time before life on the ATP and WTA Tours - which are both suspended - can return to normal.

    He said: "We don't know yet when we'll be able to compete again. It's one of the earliest sports to cancel everything and I think it will be one of the latest to get back because of all the nationalities involved.

    "Every country must free every airport and flights, so they have to control the pandemic, so that will make us get back after other sports. I don't know when we'll be able to start."

  • Coronavirus: Bill Gates warned Rafael Nadal pandemic would become 'complicated', says uncle Toni Coronavirus: Bill Gates warned Rafael Nadal pandemic would become 'complicated', says uncle Toni

    Rafael Nadal was told by Bill Gates in February that the coronavirus would become "complicated", according to the Spanish great's uncle Toni.

    The coronavirus pandemic has brought sport, including tennis, to a standstill around the world, with Wimbledon cancelled for the first time since World War II.

    Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer played in the Match in Africa in February and Toni said the 19-time grand slam champion was warned about coronavirus by Microsoft co-founder Gates.

    "When my nephew was playing in South Africa in February, he spoke to Bill Gates and he told him that what was happening in China was going to get complicated," Toni Nadal told Onda Cero on Thursday.

    The Mallorca Open, of which Toni Nadal is the tournament director, is among the events to have been postponed due to coronavirus.

    Toni Nadal hopes the tournament can still be held in 2020, saying: "It is not permanently suspended.

    "It will try to find new dates to see if it can be done in 2020."

  • Coronavirus: Murray 'very sad' over Wimbledon cancellation Coronavirus: Murray 'very sad' over Wimbledon cancellation

    Andy Murray has expressed his sadness that Wimbledon has been cancelled but says health and safety must be the priority amid the coronavirus crisis.

    The All England Lawn Tennis Club on Wednesday confirmed that the grass-court grand slam, which was due to start on June 29, will not go ahead for the first time since World War II.

    That announcement had been expected due to the spread of COVID-19, which has killed more than 46,000 people worldwide.

    Murray, a two-time winner of his home major in London, had hoped to make his latest return from a hip injury in Miami last month but it remains to be seen when he will make another competitive comeback.

    The former world number one is naturally disappointed he will not play at SW19 and Queen's Club this year, yet he knows organisers had no alternative.

    He posted on Facebook: "Very sad that the Fever-Tree Championships and Wimbledon have been cancelled this year but with all that is going on in the world right now, everyone's health is definitely the most important thing!

    "Looking forward to getting back out on the grass next year already! Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. #StayHomeSaveLives."

    The ATP and WTA announced the suspension of their tours had been extended until July 13, but US Open organisers say the tournament will go ahead as scheduled as it stands.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.