Australian Open 2020: Rafael Nadal results and form ahead of third-round match with Pablo Carreno Busta

By Sports Desk January 23, 2020

Rafael Nadal will again face an opponent he has dominated previously when he meets Pablo Carreno Busta in the Australian Open third round.

Nadal remains on track to match Roger Federer on a men's record 20 grand slam titles after a fine opening two rounds in Melbourne.

But the Spaniard was far from perfect in the second round – also against a man he has dominated – and will be eyeing improvement against Carreno Busta.

We take a closer look at the 33-year-old ahead of the third round.

 

Form and results

Nadal is yet to drop a set, but was incredibly wasteful in his second-round win over Federico Delbonis. He needed two hours, 30 minutes to progress after converting just three of 20 break points against a man he had dropped just 10 games to in their previous three meetings. Nadal also converted just eight of 18 break points in his first-round victory. He is 12-1 in the Australian Open third round, and his only loss came against Lleyton Hewitt in 2004.

R1: bt Dellien 6-2 6-3 6-0
R2: bt Delbonis 6-3 7-6 (7-4) 6-1

Next up

Carreno Busta has lost his previous four matches against Nadal, although three of those have been on clay. The other – on a hardcourt in Doha in 2016 – went to three sets after Carreno Busta took the first. A US Open semi-finalist in 2017, Carreno Busta's best results in majors in the past two years have come in Melbourne, where he reached the fourth round in 2018 and 2019. He needed four sets in wins over Jozef Kovalik and Peter Gojowczyk in the first two rounds.

Draw

If Nadal can get past his compatriot, a blockbuster fourth-round showdown with either Nick Kyrgios or Karen Khachanov awaits. Kyrgios has beaten Nadal in three of their seven meetings, while Khachanov is 0-7 against the Spaniard. Further ahead, a quarter-final meeting with fifth seed Dominic Thiem, or Frenchman Gael Monfils, could follow.

What he said

"I have been practising every day a little bit better. Of course, in the match situation, it's a little bit different. I am confident that I'm going to play better because every day in the third set I have been able to show a good level of tennis. I need to do it before the next time."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Wimbledon will be cancelled – German tennis chief Coronavirus: Wimbledon will be cancelled – German tennis chief

    Wimbledon will be cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to German Tennis Federation (DTB) vice-president Dirk Hordorff.

    The grand slam is scheduled to begin in London on June 29 but may not be held for the first time since 1945, when there was no event due to World War II.

    A decision on the tournament is expected in the coming week and Hordorff said Wimbledon officials would cancel the event.

    "Wimbledon has stated that they will have a board meeting next Wednesday and will make the final decision there," he told Sky Sport on Sunday.

    "I am also involved in the bodies of the ATP and WTA. The necessary decisions have already been made there and Wimbledon will decide to cancel next Wednesday. There is no doubt about it. This is necessary in the current situation.

    "It is completely unrealistic to imagine that with the travel restrictions that we currently have an international tennis tournament, where hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world would travel. That is unthinkable."

    The French Open, which was due to start in May, has already been postponed until later in the year and it remains uncertain when the ATP and WTA Tour seasons will resume.

    Hordorff said it was difficult to push back Wimbledon, while adding the financial impact of a cancellation should not be too greatly felt.

    "Wimbledon has its own laws due to the lawn and the special lighting conditions. Wimbledon was probably the only grand slam tournament many years ago predictive enough to insure itself against a worldwide pandemic, so that the financial damage should be minimised there," he said.

    "Of course, Wimbledon also has enough reserves to last for several years. Wimbledon in the period September, October, when no-one knows whether you can play, would be unthinkable due to the lawn situation."

  • Coronavirus: Naomi Osaka backs 'brave decision' to postpone Olympics Coronavirus: Naomi Osaka backs 'brave decision' to postpone Olympics

    Naomi Osaka has given her "100 per cent" backing to the postponement of Tokyo 2020 and says the "Olympic spirit" is needed to combat coronavirus.

    The upcoming Olympic Games were pushed back from 2020 to 2021 amid the COVID-19 pandemic that has resulted in close to 30,000 deaths worldwide, with more than 645,000 confirmed cases.

    The decision was widely welcomed earlier this week, and tennis star Osaka is also on board, even if it means a delay to her hopes of turning out at a home Olympics.

    The Japanese two-time grand slam champion wrote on her Instagram page: "I've been thinking about how to articulate my thoughts on this for a couple of days now, so here goes.

    "Everyone knows how much the Olympics means to me and how proud I will be to participate in my home country.

    "Of course, I am disappointed that it won't happen this year, but we'll all be ready to go stronger than ever in 2021!

    "I support prime minister [Shinzo] Abe's brave decision and the IOC [International Olympic Committee] 100 per cent. Sport will eventually unite us again and be there for us always, but that time is not now.

  • Coronavirus: Novak and Jelena Djokovic donate €1m for medical equipment Coronavirus: Novak and Jelena Djokovic donate €1m for medical equipment

    Novak Djokovic and wife Jelena are donating €1million for medical equipment amid the coronavirus pandemic, the tennis star has revealed.

    The ATP Tour season has been suspended until June as the sport attempts to slow the spread of the virus.

    With the clay-court season wiped out, the French Open has been moved to September, while an emergency meeting has been organised for next week to discuss Wimbledon's status.

    In the meantime, Australian Open and All England Club champion Djokovic has put together a package to help the fight, with over 550,000 confirmed global cases and more than 25,000 deaths to date.

    "I wish to express my gratitude to all the medical staff across the world and in my native Serbia for helping everyone infected by coronavirus," the 17-time grand slam champion told a video conference.

    "Unfortunately, more and more people are getting infected every day.

    "My wife Jelena and I are putting together a plan how to best donate our resources to people in need. Our donation is €1m for the purchase of ventilators and other medical equipment."

    Djokovic last week posted on Twitter urging fans to "help our Mother Earth heal quickly".

    Responding to the postponement of Tokyo 2020, he added: "I’m sad the @olympics are postponed, but I am sure it‘s the right decision for the collective health of everyone involved. Let’s look forward to Tokyo #Olympics 2021."

    The Serbian is unbeaten in 2020, winning the ATP Cup, followed by the Melbourne major and then the Dubai Tennis Championships.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.