WTA

Sharapova handed Australian Open wildcard

By Sports Desk January 08, 2020

Former champion Maria Sharapova has been given a wildcard into the Australian Open.

Sharapova, 32, endured an injury-hit 2019, playing just 15 singles matches – winning eight – and slipping to 147th in the rankings.

The Russian suffered a first-round loss at the Brisbane International on Tuesday, but will take her place at Melbourne Park.

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley confirmed on Wednesday that the 2008 champion would be given a chance at the year's first grand slam.

"We will give Maria Sharapova a wildcard," he told a news conference.

Sharapova has struggled to find her best form since returning from a 15-month drugs ban in 2017.

The five-time grand slam champion has reached the quarter-finals of a major just once in her past eight attempts, including making a fourth-round exit at the Australian Open last year.

Related items

  • Halep: Being defending Wimbledon champion for two years 'rare and special' Halep: Being defending Wimbledon champion for two years 'rare and special'

    Simona Halep is saddened by the cancellation of this year's Wimbledon, but described the honour of being defending women's singles champion for two years as "rare and special".

    Wimbledon was this week cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has spread to over a million people worldwide.

    It will mark the first time since World War Two that the grass-court grand slam has not been held.

    Halep clinched her second major title at the All England Club last year, crushing Serena Williams in straight sets in the final.

    In an interview with The Times, she said of not being able to defend her title this year: "Even though the cancellation of Wimbledon felt inevitable after the past few weeks, I had hoped it might somehow find a way to stay on the calendar as it is such a special tournament.

    "So Wednesday was a sad day and I thought back to some of the happiest emotions of my life last year at the All England Club.

    "I will miss going back to see Centre Court, the scene of that amazing final last year. I will miss seeing my name on the wall and all the nice things you get as a member of the club. I will miss the grass, a surface I finally fell in love with.

    "I will miss wearing white. And I will miss the feeling of belonging as part of the huge tradition that Wimbledon represents.

    "I know that Wimbledon looked at other opportunities to stage the championships. They looked at playing without spectators and postponing, but none of these options worked because of the nature of the surface and the high number of people involved. It makes sense to call it off now so that we are all mentally prepared for it, rather than to wait and let people down at the last minute.

    "The club sent me a nice email on Wednesday. I had previously been discussing with them the prospect of doing some filming as the defending champion in the lead-up to the tournament. Hopefully we can do those things next year instead.

    "In a positive way, I will have the rare and special honour of being a reigning Wimbledon champion for two years. I love the tradition in which the defending champion gets to open play on Centre Court, so I hope I can still do that next year as that will be something to savour."

    The ATP and WTA Tours are both suspended and Wimbledon's cancellation has led to talk of the rest of the 2020 season being wiped out.

    "The virus is like nothing we have ever faced before, and it's important to remember that tennis is not important in comparison to this life-threatening opponent," added Halep.

    "At this point, I do not want to speculate on whether the remainder of the 2020 season will be shut down. We have to see clear signs that the virus is under control.

    "We have to let our governments and medical staff do their jobs, and when life starts returning to normal, then we can start to think about tennis."

  • Coronavirus: French Open rescheduling rushed and selfish, says Pablo Cuevas Coronavirus: French Open rescheduling rushed and selfish, says Pablo Cuevas

    The decision to push the French Open back to September amid the coronavirus pandemic was rushed and selfish, Pablo Cuevas has said.

    Last month the French Tennis Federation announced the tournament will begin at Roland Garros on September 20, having originally been scheduled to take place from May 24.

    The new date would see the competition start a week after the US Open in New York comes to an end. 

    It was a move met with widespread criticism and Cuevas, the world number 60, is bemused by the change, considering the impact it will have on players.

    "I think the Roland Garros decision was a bit rushed, perhaps without asking the ATP from what I know," the 2008 French Open men's doubles champion told Stats Perform. 

    "Also, it seems they didn't take into account the rest of the tournaments, the rest of the calendar, it was something weird.

    "Even more in this moment of solidarity, where we must have solidarity, it was something pretty selfish to go forward and set the dates without having any concern for the players and the rest of the calendar. All the players were a bit surprised."

    While there is still a chance the French Open could be held this year, Wimbledon will not be on the 2020 calendar.

    The All England Club this week cancelled the tournament, marking the first time since World War Two that the grass-court grand slam will not take place.

    "About the cancellation of Wimbledon, I think it was something pretty obvious," Cuevas added.

    "This [coronavirus] is being more serious that what it seemed at the beginning, it's taking a lot to control it, so I think it was a good decision made by the people at Wimbledon."

    Cuevas expects it to be a long time before life on the ATP and WTA Tours - which are both suspended - can return to normal.

    He said: "We don't know yet when we'll be able to compete again. It's one of the earliest sports to cancel everything and I think it will be one of the latest to get back because of all the nationalities involved.

    "Every country must free every airport and flights, so they have to control the pandemic, so that will make us get back after other sports. I don't know when we'll be able to start."

  • Coronavirus: Bill Gates warned Rafael Nadal pandemic would become 'complicated', says uncle Toni Coronavirus: Bill Gates warned Rafael Nadal pandemic would become 'complicated', says uncle Toni

    Rafael Nadal was told by Bill Gates in February that the coronavirus would become "complicated", according to the Spanish great's uncle Toni.

    The coronavirus pandemic has brought sport, including tennis, to a standstill around the world, with Wimbledon cancelled for the first time since World War II.

    Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer played in the Match in Africa in February and Toni said the 19-time grand slam champion was warned about coronavirus by Microsoft co-founder Gates.

    "When my nephew was playing in South Africa in February, he spoke to Bill Gates and he told him that what was happening in China was going to get complicated," Toni Nadal told Onda Cero on Thursday.

    The Mallorca Open, of which Toni Nadal is the tournament director, is among the events to have been postponed due to coronavirus.

    Toni Nadal hopes the tournament can still be held in 2020, saying: "It is not permanently suspended.

    "It will try to find new dates to see if it can be done in 2020."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.