ATP

De Minaur kicks off Next Gen campaign with win

By Sports Desk November 05, 2019

Next Generation ATP Finals favourite Alex de Minaur started his 2019 campaign with a victory over Alejandro Davidovich Fokina in Milan.

De Minaur lost to Stefanos Tsitsipas in last year's final and is the highest-ranked player competing this time around.

The Australian needed four sets to overcome Alejandro Davidovich 4-2 3-4 (5-7) 4-1 4-1 in Group A.

De Minaur, ranked 18th and a three-time winner on the ATP Tour this year, won eight of the final nine games to wrap up the match in style. 

"I just had to get in my head that I played a good second set," said De Minaur. "He just came up with big shots in big moments.

"I had to move on and remember what I was doing well the whole match. I felt a lot more comfortable as soon as I got the break [in the third set]."

In the same pool, Miomir Kecmanovic claimed a straight-sets victory over Casper Ruud.

There was only one break of serve in the whole contest, which the Serbian won 4-3 (7-5) 4-3 (7-5) 4-2.

In Group B, Swede Mikael Ymer sealed a 4-3 (7-2) 1-4 4-2 4-1 triumph over Ugo Humbert, and Jannik Sinner closed Tuesday's play by coming from a set down to beat Frances Tiafoe 3-4 (4-7) 4-2 4-2 4-2.

Related items

  • Djokovic hits out at 'witch hunt' amid criticism of Adria Tour Djokovic hits out at 'witch hunt' amid criticism of Adria Tour

    Novak Djokovic has described the criticism he has faced following the cancellation of the Adria Tour due to coronavirus infections as "a witch hunt".

    Djokovic was the driving force behind the event that drew huge crowds in Serbia and Croatia before the Zadar final between the world number one and Andrey Rublev was cancelled after Grigor Dimitrov tested positive for COVID-19.

    Borna Coric and Djokovic also later returned positive tests, leading to consternation from figures within the tennis community over the decision to stage such an event with large crowds in attendance, where players shook hands and posed for photos with volunteers, while some were also seen partying at a nightclub despite concerns over a lack of social distancing measures.

    Nick Kyrgios has been the most vocal in criticising those involved, while Dan Evans said Djokovic had set "a poor example" by staging the event during a pandemic.

    The manager of Dominic Thiem, who played in the Belgrade leg of the tournament, said the blame must lie at Djokovic's door for allowing it to become "misused as a publicity show" despite the initial "honourable motives" of raising funds for charity.

    Djokovic, who has previously said the Adria Tour was staged "with a pure heart and sincere intentions", believes much of the criticism is fuelled by hidden motives.

    "Lately, I just see criticism, some of it very malicious," he said in an interview with Sportski Zurnal.

    "Obviously, there is something more than that criticism, as though there were an agenda, as if it were a witch hunt.

    "Someone has to fall, somebody, some big name has to be the main culprit for everything."

    Djokovic was back on the practice court on Tuesday with Viktor Troicki after having self-isolated following his positive test, but he says he is still uncertain if he will compete at the US Open, which is due to begin next month under strict health protocols despite a worrying rise in cases in the United States.

    "I still don't know if I will play at the US Open," said Djokovic, who has expressed doubts previously about competing at Flushing Meadows under the revised guidelines.

    "I certainly won't be playing in Washington or Cincinnati. My participation at Roland Garros [for the French Open in September] is safe for now, and Madrid and Rome are also planned."

  • Rafael Nadal confirms Madrid test between US Open and French Open dates Rafael Nadal confirms Madrid test between US Open and French Open dates

    Rafael Nadal has chosen to launch his clay-court season in Madrid during the week that follows the US Open.

    The world number two could face a hectic schedule if he elects to travel to New York to defend his grand slam title.

    That tournament will be behind closed doors at Flushing Meadows and it remains to be seen whether the Madrid Open, a Masters Series event, must also operate in the same circumstances.

    Madrid's showpiece event was postponed from May and is now scheduled to begin on Sunday, September 13, the day of the men's US Open final.

    Nadal may not need to play in Madrid until possibly the Wednesday, but it is possible he could be considering skipping the trip to the United States, focusing instead on the delayed clay-court swing.

    After Madrid comes the Internazionali d’Italia in Rome, with the French Open, which Nadal has won a record 12 times, then beginning on September 27.

    The 34-year-old Nadal has previously indicated he was unsure about travelling to New York, questioning whether that event should happen given the COVID-19 crisis.

    Playing closer to home is more straightforward for Spain's 19-time grand slam winner.

    Madrid tournament director Feliciano Lopez, who as a player won the Queen's Club singles and doubles titles last year, wrote on Twitter that Nadal had agreed to play his tournament.

    "I've spoken with my friend @RafaelNadal and he's confirmed he will take part in Madrid this September," Lopez said.

    He said Nadal would be welcomed "with open arms" at the event.

    Nadal responded by writing: "Same with you Feli. See you in September in Madrid."

  • Brandon Burke makes history: First Jamaican on WTA board Brandon Burke makes history: First Jamaican on WTA board

    The Women's Tennis Association (WTA), announced last week, that Brandon Burke has been elected to its board by a vote from the WTA Players’ Council and will be formally seated in September.

    The 27-year-old Burke, who is to be a Player Representative on the WTA Board, is the first Jamaican to fill a board position at this level.

    "I am humbled and grateful for this opportunity because it’s the kind of job if I had got at 50 or 60, it would still be a huge thing in my career, and to have got it at 27 is amazing,” Burke said.

    Burke, who will become the youngest member on the board, is set to join Iva Majoli, Michael Segal, and Vanessa Webb on the player board, engaging with players' council members and the players ranking groups they represent. They will be responsible for assuring that the board and WTA management are fully informed of their constituency's point of view.

    A six-time Jamaica Davis Cup national team member and an accomplished collegiate athlete, Burke is currently the Chief Operating Officer and legal consultant for Sports Travel Experts, developing successful sporting events throughout Canada and the Caribbean, such as the Canadian Pickleball Series and the Caribbean Cup Tennis Series.

    "We are excited to have Brandon join the board and we are confident that his expertise in event management, marketing strategy, and law will bring invaluable support to the WTA Tour and its players," said Steve Simon, WTA Chairman, and CEO. "I look forward to working with Brandon and the other board members to drive continued growth for the WTA."

    Burke will formally replace Dianne Hayes, who held the position as a WTA player board representative for over six years.

    The WTA Board of Directors is comprised of eight voting directors of which three are appointed by the players, three are appointed by the tournaments, one is appointed by the International Tennis Federation (ITF), and the WTA CEO, who also serves as chairman. Additional members of the board include three alternates representing the players, tournaments, and the ITF.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.