ATP

Dimitrov secures 300th win, Berrettini boosts ATP Finals hopes

By Sports Desk October 21, 2019

Grigor Dimitrov recorded his 300th win on the ATP Tour by defeating qualifier Damir Dzumhur 6-3 7-5 at the Erste Bank Open.

Ten years on from his first tour-level triumph, Dimitrov came through his opening match in Vienna having fallen at the first-round hurdle last year.

He won 55 per cent of his return points against Dzumhur, who has now lost all four of his matches with the Bulgarian.

"I think it was one of those matches that I really had to go through," Dimitrov said in quotes published on the ATP Tour's website.

"I was very determined in my own game to find that rhythm. I still believe that I could have done a few things better."

His second-round opponent will be Matteo Berrettini, whose quest to reach the ATP Finals was boosted by a come-from-behind 3-6 6-3 6-4 success over Kyle Edmund.

Berrettini, currently ranked 11th in the world, saved four of the five break points he faced and did not give Edmund a sniff on his serve in the decider.

Second seed Karen Khachanov beat Hubert Hurkacz 6-4 7-6 (7-3), while fifth seed Diego Schwartzman and Marton Fucsovics also won.

Related items

  • Fognini to have arthroscopic surgery on both ankles Fognini to have arthroscopic surgery on both ankles

    Fabio Fognini is using the ATP Tour's suspension due to the coronavirus pandemic to undergo surgery on both ankles, the world number 11 revealed on Saturday.

    The Italian won the Monte-Carlo Masters last season but has been dealing with long-standing ankle issues.

    The 2020 campaign has been paused since March amid the COVID-19 crisis, but Fognini saw no improvement in his injury problems when he returned to training recently.

    Fognini, who broke into the top 10 of the ATP rankings for the first time in 2019, sought medical advice and was set for arthroscopic surgery in Italy on Saturday.

    "I've been having a problem with my left ankle for three and a half years now," he wrote to fans on his Twitter page. "It's an issue I've learnt to cope with.

    "Then my right ankle started playing up in the past two years as well.

    "I had hoped the various issues would go away during the two-month break from the game because of the lockdown, but when I resumed training, they were still there.

    "After medical examination and a long discussion with my time, I decided to have arthroscopic surgery on both ankles. I believe it's the right thing to do while the tour is on this enforced break.

    "I will undergo surgery in Italy today. I can't wait to be back playing again! I know you will support me. A big hug to all of you!"

    The suspension of the Tour has been extended until at least August, with Wimbledon cancelled and the French Open moved to September.

    Fognini reached the last 16 of the Australian Open in January but has otherwise struggled for form in 2020, falling at the first hurdle at the ASB Classic, Rotterdam Open and Dubai Tennis Championships.

  • Coronavirus: I'd rather cancel them – Kvitova against grand slams without fans Coronavirus: I'd rather cancel them – Kvitova against grand slams without fans

    Petra Kvitova is not in favour of playing at a grand slam behind closed doors, claiming she would rather see the events cancelled than be held without fans.

    The WTA and ATP Tour have been heavily disrupted due to the coronavirus pandemic, with many tournaments postponed – the French Open having been pushed back to September – and others, including Wimbledon, cancelled altogether.

    Kvitova is returning to the court in a tournament in her native Czech Republic this week, which will be played without fans in attendance.

    However, the possibility of featuring in a grand slam behind closed doors does not appeal to the two-time Wimbledon champion.

    "I have my age and of course I would like to play another grand slam, but if it's like this, I'd rather cancel them," Kvitova, 30, said at a news conference.

    "Playing a grand slam is the greatest thing there is and playing without fans who are our engine doesn't look nice to me and the grand slam doesn't deserve it."

    The event Kvitova is taking part in this week features eight men and eight women, who will not shake hands before or after their matches, while ball boys will not be allowed to hand towels to the players.

    "We are here to reintroduce tennis not only to the Czech Republic, but also to the world," Kvitova added.

    "The hardest thing will be to find the rhythm, we haven't played a match for a very long time.

    "I hope nobody expects us to play fantastic tennis, because it may happen or it may not."

    The world number 12 opens her tournament against doubles specialist Barbora Krejcikova on Tuesday.

  • Coronavirus: Djokovic kept lockdown training quiet to avoid riling rivals Coronavirus: Djokovic kept lockdown training quiet to avoid riling rivals

    Novak Djokovic kept it quiet that he was able to train almost every day during lockdown as the world number one did not want to "infuriate other players".

    Djokovic is back in Serbia after spending two months in Marbella, as the coronavirus pandemic prevented him from returning to his homeland.

    The 17-time grand slam champion, who is set to host and play in the new Adria Tour next month, did not want to make it public that he had been able to stay more active than most of his rivals during his time in Spain.

    He said at a press conference in Belgrade on Monday: "Unlike many other players, I was able to train almost every day because we resided in a house with a tennis court.

    "I refrained from posting clips on social networks because I didn't want to infuriate other players. I am fit and in good shape, so I am looking forward to the Adria Tour, which I am organising."

    Djokovic, who turned 33 last Friday, revealed that Alexander Zverev is the latest player who has committed to playing on the Adria Tour.

    The world number seven has agreed to play in the June 13-14 event in Belgrade and could be on court in Zadar, Croatia a week later.

    Djokovic added that matches in Montenegro and Bosnia-Herzegovina have not yet been 100 per cent confirmed.

    The events have been arranged to raise money for "humanitarian projects across the region" as well as helping tennis players get back in shape during the ATP Tour suspension.

    Dominic Thiem and Grigor Dimitrov are among the other players who will feature.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.