Serena caricature 'way over the top' claims regional cartoonist

By September 13, 2018

Regional cartoonist Guy O’Neal has described the controversial caricature of tennis star Serena Williams as having gone ‘way over the top’ and ‘offensive’.

Australia Herald Sun cartoonist Mark Knight has drawn heavy criticism for his caricature of Serena Williams, following her much-publicized spat with an umpire during the US Open final.  The cartoon itself has divided opinion with some believing the cartoonist was well within his right to express himself, others however viewed the depiction as sexist and racist.  Knight has denied being either.  The Barbadian O’Neal did not side with his fellow cartoonist.

 “I had not seen the cartoon until today (Wednesday) but when I saw it the first thing I saw was this huge woman jumping up and down on a tennis racquet and when I looked closely I realized this is Serena and it was awful,” O’Neal told the SportsMax Zone.

“While cartoonists like myself have license to do a caricature. I think sometimes we can caricature to a point where it becomes offensive and I see a lot of offensiveness in this cartoon,” he added.  

“He’s well within his rights to draw what he wants but I think when it gets to a point when it becomes offensive you have to take a step back.  Rather than going to a point where you offend somebody at this.”

Kwesi Mugisa

Kwesi has been a sports journalist with more than 10-years’ experience in the field. First as a Sports Reporter with The Gleaner in the early 2000s before he made the almost natural transition to becoming an editor. Since then he has led the revamp of The Star’s sports offering, making it a more engaging and forward-thinking component of the most popular tabloid newspaper in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Sharapova comeback delayed after Stuttgart withdrawal Sharapova comeback delayed after Stuttgart withdrawal

    Maria Sharapova's return to the WTA Tour has been put on hold after she withdrew from next week's Stuttgart Open.

    The Russian has not played competitively since a last-32 win over Daria Gavrilova in St Petersburg in January – a triumph which preceded her pulling out of that tournament due to a shoulder injury.

    Sharapova was scheduled to play in Germany, where she is a brand ambassador for the tournament's sponsor Porsche, but the five-time grand slam winner will sit out to continue her recovery.

    "To all my amazing fans in Germany that travel to see me play in Stuttgart each year, I am really sorry to inform you that I have just ran out of time to be ready to play in Stuttgart," read a statement from Sharapova - a three-time winner in Stuttgart.

    "I am making very good progress but just not ready to compete at the highest level."

  • Thiem beaten in Monte Carlo, serene progress for Nadal and Djokovic Thiem beaten in Monte Carlo, serene progress for Nadal and Djokovic

    Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal progressed at the Monte Carlo Masters on Thursday, but Dominic Thiem, another potential contender, fell short of the quarter-final stage.

    Djokovic defeated Taylor Fritz 6-3 6-0, while Nadal racked up a 70th Monte Carlo win against Grigor Dimitrov, who went down 6-4 6-1.

    Yet Thiem was on the wrong end of an upset on Court des Princes, where Dusan Lajovic ran out a 6-3 6-3 winner.

     

    NOVAK AND NADAL BATTLE THE ELEMENTS

    Djokovic and Nadal both advanced in two sets, but the windy conditions did appear to cause all players involved on Thursday some issues.

    Nadal said afterwards: "It was not an easy day. There was a lot of wind.

    "Everybody prefers to play with no wind. But being from an island like Mallorca, there is some wind there, too, so I am more or less used to playing like this."

    As well as the wind, Djokovic was getting to grips with the clay, adding: "It's a very unpredictable surface. There's nothing you can expect. You expect the unexpected."

    CONTRASTING FORTUNES FOR CLAY APPRENTICES

    Nadal is considered the clay king, but Thiem and, now, Guido Pella are garnering reputations for impressing on the red dirt, too.

    There were mixed fortunes for the pair on Wednesday, though, as Thiem was dumped out by Lajovic to leave one quarter of the draw without a seed.

    Lajovic led 5-0 in the opener before allowing Thiem back in. The Serbian finally sealed the set and then recovered from an early break in the second to set up a meeting with qualifier Lorenzo Sonego, who defeated Cameron Norrie.

    Meanwhile, Pella has won more clay-court matches than any other player on the ATP Tour this year and his latest was a three-set upset of Marco Cecchinato. He plays Nadal next.

    ZVEREV SLUMP CONTINUES

    It has been a testing year for world number three Alexander Zverev, who is yet to win a title in 2019 and has battled an ankle injury and illness.

    After losing a second-round contest as a wildcard to Jaume Munar in Morocco, Zverev suffered a disappointing defeat, this time in a 7-6 (8-6) 6-1 loss to the experienced Fabio Fognini.

    Sixth seed Stefanos Tsitsipas also bit the dust in a three-set loss to Daniil Medvedev but Borna Coric was too good for Pierre-Hugues Herbert in a 6-4 6-4 victory.

  • Nadal outclasses Dimitrov to rack up 70th Monte Carlo win Nadal outclasses Dimitrov to rack up 70th Monte Carlo win

    Three-time defending champion Rafael Nadal made short work of Grigor Dimitrov to rack up a 70th win at the Monte Carlo Masters on Thursday.

    The Spaniard held a formidable 11-1 record against Dimitrov prior to the third-round contest and has now won five straight matches against the Bulgarian after a 6-4 6-1 triumph.

    Nadal, seeking a 12th title in Monte Carlo, dropped just five games in a semi-final meeting with Dimitrov 12 months ago and repeated the trick in a match lasting just over an hour and a half.

    Dimitrov responded to an early break with some neat touches at the net and levelled the set when Nadal tried to wrongfoot his opponent with a forehand that went long.

    But, when serving to stay in the set, Dimitrov skewed a forehand wildly out and was outclassed in a one-sided second set.

    Dimitrov went long with a forehand to fall behind 2-0 and, after saving a break point at 3-0, was broken again at 4-1 down when he could only put a fierce Nadal shot back into the net.

    Nadal then routinely served out for the match to book a quarter-final meeting with Guido Pella.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.