Victorious Anderson would have been happy in defeat

By Sports Desk July 11, 2018

Kevin Anderson would have seen his performance against Roger Federer as progress even if he had lost their five-set epic at Wimbledon. 

Anderson became only the third man to come from two sets down to defeat Federer as he produced a remarkable recovery to prevail 2-6 6-7 (5-7) 7-5 6-4 13-11 in a thriller that lasted four hours and 13 minutes on No.1 Court.

The South African had been match point down in the third set, but now faces John Isner for a place in what would be his second grand slam final after the most unexpected of turnarounds. 

"I haven't thought about it too much in the broader context of things," Anderson told a media conference when asked if the victory was the biggest of his career. 

"It felt great to get that match. I mean, I think the toughest thing players face when going out playing somebody like Roger in this setting is giving yourself a chance. I feel like the times that I've played him before, or other guys with his ranking and history, I haven't really allowed myself to play.

"The first set was an example of that. I was really proud of myself the way I was able to relax, play my game. That's a big goal that I've had. Even if I'd lost that match in three sets or four sets, I still actually made some progress on that front. That was a good plus.

"Obviously it's infinitely better winning that match. But overall obviously a lot of positives to take from it."

Anderson, though, knows he cannot bask in the glory of his achievement, adding: "It's tough in the sense that I've got to get ready for my next match. 

"I can't dwell on it too long. Obviously a lot of emotions going on. You try to calm down as quickly as possible. I've already started my recovery process.

"As I said in the beginning of the tournament, getting through to the quarters was a big goal of mine. But also putting myself in these positions where hopefully I'm able to get another step forward and be playing on Sunday."

Related items

  • Tennis Canada coach Labelle says 'sky is the limit' for Andreescu Tennis Canada coach Labelle says 'sky is the limit' for Andreescu

    Bianca Andreescu's former coach Andre Labelle says the teenage sensation can win a grand slam this year after her astonishing Indian Wells Open triumph.

    Andreescu made history on Sunday by beating three-time major champion Angelique Kerber 6-4 3-6 6-4 to become the first wildcard to win the prestigious title in California.

    The 18-year-old Canadian started the year outside the top 150, but rose to 24th on Monday after seeing off the likes of Garbine Muguruza and Elina Svitolina before stunning Kerber.

    Labelle, who nurtured Andreescu's talent for almost four years at Tennis Canada, believes the rising star's maiden WTA Tour triumph will most definitely not be a flash in the pan.

    The Tennis Canada national coach told Omnisport: "Before Indian Wells, the goal for Bianca was top 50 at the end of the year.

    "So now obviously that will be changed. There are three grand slams and more Premier events to come, so many, many more points to be won

    "The sky is the limit for her, it really is. I am saying now she will probably make the WTA Finals and a grand slam, maybe.  

    "With a good draw, some luck and with what she has shown last week, you don't want to put too much expectation on her, but she was not expected to win Indian Wells and look what happened.

    "A grand slam might be next year, but you just don't know. She has incredible determination and drive. She will stay grounded, there will be no issue with that and she can achieve so much."

  • Del Potro follows Nadal in missing Miami Open Del Potro follows Nadal in missing Miami Open

    Juan Martin del Potro has followed Rafael Nadal in pulling out of the Miami Open due to a knee injury.

    Del Potro suffered a fracture of his right patella last October and has played just three matches this season.

    The Argentine was unable to defend his Indian Wells Masters title last week and is not ready to return in Miami this week.

    "Unfortunately I won't be able to play in Miami this year. Looking forward to coming back in 2020!" he tweeted.

    Nadal withdrew in Indian Wells ahead of a mouth-watering semi-final against Roger Federer due to pain in his right knee.

    The world number two is expected to be back in action on clay at the Monte-Carlo Masters next month.

  • Thiem: Indian Wells triumph feels like grand slam glory Thiem: Indian Wells triumph feels like grand slam glory

    Dominic Thiem described beating Roger Federer to claim the biggest title of his career at the Indian Wells Masters as being "as nice as a grand slam".

    Thiem fought back from a set down to defeat the 20-time major champion 3-6 6-3 7-5 in California on Sunday.

    The Austrian, up to fourth in the rankings after securing his maiden Masters title, was pinching himself after toppling Federer for a third time in five encounters with the Swiss legend.

    "It's unreal," said Thiem. "It's a pleasure to compete against Roger in this great final. I lost my last two Masters 1000 finals, but I won this one and it feels as nice as a grand slam.

    "It was a great week and I think also a very good final. Just amazing that I got here, [it is] my first really big title.

    "I came from a really bad form in all categories and now I'm the champion of Indian Wells. It feels not real at all."

    Thiem was particularly pleased with the way he hung in there under pressure to get the better of Federer.

    The 2018 French Open runner-up added: "I was in the zone the whole match. I had to get used to Roger's game. In the first set he was playing amazing.

    "It was completely different from my opponents before him. I was struggling to work my way into the match. I had to fight to save those break points early in the second set.

    "It was a very good match until the end and I had to fight to serve it out."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.