Sebastian Vettel facing 'important' year for his F1 career - Coulthard

By Sports Desk February 15, 2020

Sebastian Vettel must rise to the challenge in 2020 to ensure he can prolong his Formula One career, according to David Coulthard.

The Ferrari driver is under pressure going into the new season after being outshone by new team-mate Charles Leclerc last year.

Four-time world champion Vettel last claimed the drivers' championship in 2013, with his Ferrari seat more vulnerable than that of Leclerc, who has signed a new long-term deal.

Coulthard believes the 32-year-old's quality is beyond doubt but fears for his career if he underperforms in 2020.

"He's a class driver, you don't win those championships without being so," Coulthard said to Omnisport about Vettel.

"We have seen in previous years, his last year at Red Bull, he lost a bit of consistency and performance, but he was able to bounce back at Ferrari alongside Kimi Raikkonen. 

"Let's see if he can bounce back this year. It's in his hands. We know Charles is fast, we know he's able to get those qualifying results and race results, but Seb is a four-time world champion. 

"This year is a very important year for him to establish if we will see more of him."

Coulthard is concerned Vettel would not have another realistic option if the Italian team opt not to retain him.

"I just don't see where he could go logically at the level of expectation in terms of salary and what-have-you," added Coulthard.

"Red Bull seem quite set in their programme. McLaren have two young drivers. Mercedes, they don't need him. So, I think it's a little bit like Fernando Alonso, even if they want to race there isn't the opportunity for them." 

Coulthard ended his F1 career at Red Bull and is hoping to see Max Verstappen challenge defending champion Lewis Hamilton for title glory this season, even if the Briton remains the favourite.

On the title race, he said: "Easy money is to say Hamilton at Mercedes but I think it's absolutely possible on paper for the world champion to come from Red Bull, Ferrari or Mercedes. 

"I would love to see Max really challenge for the championship. He's got speed, he's got commitment, he's got a young, devil-may-care attitude. 

"He's a breath of fresh air because he's also very open, very honest, and not kind of aloof and standing off. So I think he would be a great champion.

"Mercedes have done an exceptional job, but we can see that Ferrari have come up over the last couple of years to being real contenders and Red Bull in their new partnership with Honda are getting a few victories.

"Those three teams can be challenging for, certainly race victories, and possibly the championships."

Related items

  • Charles Leclerc wins Virtual GP in Australia as Ben Stokes brings up the rear Charles Leclerc wins Virtual GP in Australia as Ben Stokes brings up the rear

    Three weeks after he had hoped to be starring in Formula One's Australian Grand Prix, Charles Leclerc saw the chequered flag confirm a virtual victory in Melbourne.

    In the second event of F1's Virtual Grand Prix Series - an Esports tournament filling the gap while the real thing is suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic - FDA Hublot Esports driver Leclerc delivered a dominant performance.

    Leclerc, who won back-to-back races in Belgium and Italy during his debut season with Ferrari in 2019, was on pole and never looked troubled around Albert Park, winning after 29 laps.

    Renault's Christian Lundgaard was second, with Williams' George Russell finishing third, denying Arthur Leclerc a place on the podium alongside his brother.

    "It was unbelievably hard," Charles Leclerc said.

    "We are sitting on a chair so there's not even the g-force we have in a real car.

    "But I'm sweating like crazy. The muscles are not hurting but [with] the concentration and everything I've been sweating a lot."

    Having seen singer Liam Payne, once of One Direction, struggle during the first race of the series, an early crash left England all-rounder Ben Stokes playing catch-up.

    Stokes would finish 18th out of 18 drivers, one spot behind three-time F1 race winner Johnny Herbert.

    "It's the taking part that counts...it's what I always tell my kids," Stokes wrote on Twitter.

    Former F1 world champion Jenson Button finished 12th and had a better time of it than Lando Norris, who was unable to take his place on the grid due to technical difficulties.

    "I pressed to join the race and it just said, 'Sorry, you're not allowed to join the race'," Norris revealed on Twitch in a chat with Max Verstappen.

    Upon learning of Norris' struggles, Red Bull's Verstappen replied: "Yeah, I will never join that."

  • Coronavirus: Trump unsure when sport will resume, thinks it'll be 'sooner rather than later' Coronavirus: Trump unsure when sport will resume, thinks it'll be 'sooner rather than later'

    United States president Donald Trump is unsure when sport can resume in the country, but hopes it is "sooner rather than later".

    With the coronavirus pandemic having brought sport to a standstill around the world, Trump spoke with leaders of the USA's leagues and organisations via a call on Saturday.

    The NBA, NHL, MLS, PGA Tour and NASCAR seasons were among those suspended, while the start of the MLB campaign was pushed back and there are concerns over the NFL.

    Trump hopes to see sport resume shortly, telling a media conference: "I want fans back in the arenas.

    "Whenever we're ready, as soon as we can obviously and the fans want to be back too, they want to see basketball and baseball and football and hockey, they want to see their sports.

    "They want to go out onto the golf courses and breathe nice, clean, beautiful fresh air."

    Asked about a possible resumption, Trump said: "I can't tell you a date.

    "But I think it's going to be sooner rather than later. We're not going to have to have separation for the rest of our times on the planet.

    "We need it for this period of time, but eventually people are going to be able to occupy those seats in arenas next to each other, like we have for all of my life and all of your life."

    More than 64,000 people have died from coronavirus worldwide, with the death toll in the USA exceeding 8,400.

  • Coronavirus: Bernie Ecclestone says F1 season should be called off Coronavirus: Bernie Ecclestone says F1 season should be called off

    Bernie Ecclestone believes the 2020 Formula One season should be abandoned.

    The former head of the motor racing series says the coronavirus pandemic is likely to make it too complicated to allow a world championship to go ahead.

    Races in Australia, Bahrain, Vietnam, China, the Netherlands, Spain and Azerbaijan have already been postponed, while the flagship Monaco race has been cancelled, with no prospect of that race being run this year.

    The Australian Grand Prix was due to be the opening race but was cancelled hours before first practice, and there has been no action since.

    Long-standing former F1 chief executive Ecclestone, who passed control to the Liberty Media group in 2017, fears the sport's current bosses may struggle to piece together a credible championship.

    Asked what the sport could do, Ecclestone said: "There's a million different things. I said we should stop the championship this year and start again next year hopefully.

    "It's impossible to get the right amount of races in that would count for a championship. It needs to be eight races from memory and I can't see them getting that in.

    "Even... let's assume that you could do a deal with the promoters and they'd say, 'Okay, we'll run basically behind closed doors', and come to some sort of financial arrangement with them to do that, you've then got to worry about will all the teams be able to participate.

    "They might say, 'Let's see'. So, it's no good somebody putting on a race and spending all the money to put that on and then the teams say, 'Well, we did tell you we couldn't confirm, and we'd have to tell you later'. It's too late then, so it's a difficult situation."

    The year began with all the talk centring on whether Lewis Hamilton could win his seventh title, which would move him level with Michael Schumacher's record haul.

    Ecclestone says Hamilton would not mind how he wins that seventh title, even if it comes in a severely truncated year of racing.

    "I don't think it'd make a lot of difference to Lewis," Ecclestone told BBC Radio 5 Live.

    "He would win whatever it takes to win that championship, whether it's eight races, 16 or 20. If it's a world championship and he wins it, it goes on the record as he's won a world championship.

    "The terrible thing is, he'd win all eight races so it wouldn't be a super championship."

    Ecclestone, 89, stressed he does not see himself having another spell in charge of Formula One, because he cannot see Liberty Media's Chase Carey wanting to offload the asset.

    "No, I don't think so. I don't think Liberty want to sell so it's no good - a lot of people have said they'd like to buy, or could they buy or should they buy, or whatever.

    "I think in the end you'd have to get Liberty to agree. They've never come forward and said to anybody, 'We want to sell', so I'm assuming they don't want to."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.