Wolff not relishing Mercedes contract talks with F1 superstar Lewis Hamilton

By Sports Desk February 14, 2020

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff admits he is not looking forward to new contract discussions with Lewis Hamilton because of their close relationship.

Formula One champion Hamilton, who will target a record-equalling seventh title in 2020, is in the final 12 months of his existing deal.

Most signs point to him staying beyond the new season, despite Hamilton reportedly chasing a hefty pay rise.

He is said to be looking for an increase of around 50 per cent on what is reputed to be a £40million annual salary.

Team principal Wolff said: "The dynamic is very good, we've known each other for such a long time and have the greatest respect for each other.

"Lewis is very aware of where we are as a team and where we are as a motor company.

"Overall, these discussions, we don't like them because we are friends and very close to each other on this joint journey, but it's part of the job."

Wolff said Hamilton and Mercedes will both have ideas about the driver's value.

Hamilton has been linked with Ferrari in the past, but the Italian team have said they are focused on keeping the partnership of Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc for the foreseeable future.

Ahead of the contract talks, Hamilton was quick to praise Wolff's influence, telling Sky Sports: "He's an incredible businessman. I learnt a lot from this man and it's always an exciting moment - it's a real privilege that they want me to stay and be part of a great team, that's a great feeling.

"I hope I can continue to help contribute to the team's success."

The team's new car - officially titled the Mercedes-AMG F1 W11 EQ Performance - was revealed on Friday at Silverstone.

Hamilton and team-mate Valtteri Bottas had the opportunity to take to the track, with the Brit describing the car, which includes a host of technical updates to the 2019 edition, as "a new piece of art".

There are changes to impact tubes, suspension and its aerodynamic make-up feature, and Bottas is optimistic he can challenge for the title.

While Hamilton is chasing Michael Schumacher's haul of seven titles, Bottas wants a first, and last year's second-placed finish in the championship fills him with optimism.

Bottas told Sky Sports: "I have no doubt Lewis will want to win the championship again and break records, but I need to focus on my own thing.

"Last year was really encouraging because I managed to improve lots of my weaknesses.

"I have good confidence; I know I can do it. It's for me to be at my best level, keep improving and keep learning. It's so good to start at zero again and see what happens."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Verstappen and Norris team up for virtual 24 Hours of Le Mans Coronavirus: Verstappen and Norris team up for virtual 24 Hours of Le Mans

    Max Verstappen and Lando Norris will share a car for Team Redline in the virtual 24 Hours of Le Mans next month.

    The famous endurance race had to be moved from June 13-14 to September 19-20 after the French government advised against mass gatherings due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    An online event will instead be held on the original dates, with Formula One drivers Verstappen and Norris joining forces to take part.

    The duo are able to pull off the all-nighter due to significant delays to starting the F1 season, which is not scheduled to begin until July.

    There are 50 teams participating in the race, with former Felipe Massa and Giancarlo Fisichella representing the Fondation Princesse Charlene de Monaco.

  • Miller signs with Ducati factory team for 2021 MotoGP season Miller signs with Ducati factory team for 2021 MotoGP season

    Jack Miller has joined the Ducati factory team for the 2021 MotoGP season.

    After claiming five podiums for Ducati's satellite team Pramac last year and finishing eighth in the riders' standings, Miller has been promoted on a one-year contract that could be extended into 2022.

    The 25-year-old will become the third Australian to race in the famous red of Ducati, following in the footsteps of Troy Bayliss and two-time MotoGP champion Casey Stoner.

    "First of all I want to thank warmly Paolo Campinoti, Francesco Guidotti and all the Pramac Racing Team for the great support I have received from them in the two-and-a-half years spent together," said Miller in a statement.

    "It is an honour for me to be able to continue my MotoGP career with the Borgo Panigale manufacturer and I would like to thank all the Ducati management … for having trusted me and given me this incredible opportunity.

    "I look forward to starting riding again this year, and I am ready to fully commit to the responsibility of being an official Ducati rider in 2021."

    Ducati Motor Holding chief executive Claudio Domenicali added: "Since he arrived in the Pramac Racing Team, Jack has grown steadily, proving himself one of the fastest and most talented riders in the championship.

    "So we are happy that he has agreed to ride the official Desmosedici GP bike of the Ducati team next year.

    "We are convinced that Jack has all the right skills to fight continuously for the positions that matter, in every race, starting already this season with the Desmosedici GP20 of the Pramac Racing Team, and taking a further step forward next year thanks to the support of the Ducati Team."

    Current Ducati team-mates Andrea Dovizioso and Danilo Petrucci will likely spend the 2020 season battling it out to retain a place alongside Miller for next year.

  • Ricciardo and Norris in Bathurst 1000 excites McLaren chief Brown Ricciardo and Norris in Bathurst 1000 excites McLaren chief Brown

    Daniel Ricciardo and Lando Norris taking part in the Bathurst 1000 is something McLaren chief executive Zak Brown would love to see.

    The annual touring car race is held at Mount Panorama in New South Wales and typically clashes with Formula One's Japanese Grand Prix in early October.

    Brown owns part of the Walkinshaw Andretti United team that ran a car in the 2019 edition.

    Ricciardo will join McLaren from Renault after the 2020 F1 season and Brown would love to figure out a way for the Australian and Norris to take part in the Supercars event.

    "I think they'd both love to do it," Brown told Supercars Sidetracked.

    "I think people now know I'm a little bit different than most of the team bosses in F1 as I like to see our drivers go out and give it a go at Daytona or Le Mans, things of that nature.

    "I think it'll just come down to schedule and whether they can fit it in the schedule.

    "I'd love to see them do it there [in Bathurst]. Let's see. For sure, they'll get a go in my Holden."

    McLaren granted Fernando Alonso leave from the Monaco Grand Prix to take part in the Indy 500 in 2017.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.