Hamilton 'privileged' to witness Verstappen, Leclerc development as duo target further improvement

By Sports Desk December 01, 2019

Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton says he feels "privileged" to be the subject of a challenge from Max Verstappen and Charles Leclerc, yet the Red Bull and Ferrari men are aiming for better in 2020.

Hamilton won the final grand prix of the season in Abu Dhabi, finishing the campaign 87 points clear of Mercedes team-mate and nearest contender Valtteri Bottas in the drivers' championship standings.

Yet Verstappen and Leclerc, both 22, joined Hamilton on the podium on Sunday and look to represent the greatest threat to his crown heading into next year.

The Briton, now a 250-race veteran, is relishing the test as he enjoys taking on the sport's top prospects.

"These guys, there's a lot yof oungsters coming through," Hamilton said, referring to his two rivals.

"It's great to be in a period of time where there's lots of youngsters coming through, and I'm privileged to be here while they come through."

Verstappen finished the season third in the standings, 135 points back, with Leclerc fourth and a further 14 behind the Dutchman.

A true title challenge has not quite yet materialised for the more experienced Red Bull man, but he said: "To be P3 in the championship was a nice ending.

"We are all working hard, but it's good to take some time off and be with family and friends and come back stronger next year."

Leclerc pipped Ferrari colleague Sebastian Vettel in the table in his first year with the Scuderia.

He added: "I'm extremely happy about this year. I've learned a huge amount thanks to Seb.

"It's been a great year, a realisation of the dream since I was child to be with Ferrari and in Formula One, and it's up to me to get better and give them the success they deserve."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Montreal cancels public events until July 2 Coronavirus: Montreal cancels public events until July 2

    The city of Montreal has cancelled all non-essential public gatherings until July 2 due to the coronavirus pandemic, marking the latest in a series of shutdowns by major Canadian cities that could jeopardise the NHL season.

    Montreal mayor Valerie Plante sent out the news via Twitter on Tuesday, confirming all "cultural and sporting events" have been called off within city limits, including home games for the Montreal Canadiens and the Canadian Football League's Montreal Alouettes.

    The announcement came hours after race organisers confirmed the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, scheduled for June 14, has been postponed.

    It means if the NHL were to resume before July 2, the Canadiens would be forced to play their scheduled home games at neutral sites away from the Bell Centre.

    Montreal joins Calgary and Toronto in issuing municipal bans on public gatherings that complicate the possible resumption of play for the NHL. Toronto officials have since clarified that their city's ban, in place until June 30, would not apply to professional sports teams. The Calgary Flames, however, would be displaced if the season resumes before June 30.

    The Canadiens are 31-31-9 this season with slim hopes of making the Stanley Cup playoffs. Their 71 points put them 12th in the Eastern Conference, 10 points back of a wild card spot with 11 games remaining on their original regular-season schedule.

    The news comes the same day that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman admitted during an appearance on NBCSN that the league may not be able to complete its regular season, despite league officials previously insisting they hoped to do so.

    Last week, the NHL extended its self-isolation policy to April 15, keeping team facilities closed to all employees, including players. The league has extended the closure of team facilities twice already.

    Eight players have tested positive for COVID-19 – five from the Ottawa Senators and three from the Colorado Avalanche.

  • Coronavirus: Canadian Grand Prix postponed as F1 prolongs shutdown Coronavirus: Canadian Grand Prix postponed as F1 prolongs shutdown

    The Canadian Grand Prix has become the ninth race of the Formula One 2020 season to be called off due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Organisers confirmed in a statement on Tuesday that they were "saddened" to make the decision, with the date in Montreal having been earmarked as a possible opening race for an altered calendar this year.

    The race at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve had been due to take place on June 14.

    The announcement came as the FIA confirmed the sport's shutdown period would be extended by a further two weeks.

    "This postponement was not a decision that was taken lightly or easily," race organisers said. "Over the past month, we have been in constant communication with Formula 1 and representatives from the city of Montreal, Tourism Montreal and both provincial and federal governments.

    "We have heard the directives issued by public health officials and as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic are following the expert guidance provided by the authorities.

    "Our thoughts and most sincere thanks go to the men and women working tirelessly to keep us healthy, safe and fed during these uncertain times."

    Francois Dumontier, president and CEO of the Canadian Grand Prix, added: "I am proud to see how such wonderful initiatives and technical advancements stemming from Formula One are being applied in a time of crisis. At the moment it is crucial that all of our energies be put together to overcome COVID-19.

    "We will welcome you with open arms to Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve as soon as it is safe to do so."

    Chase Carey, Chairman and CEO of Formula One, said: "We have been working closely with our friends at the Canadian Grand Prix over the past few weeks and support them in taking this necessary decision to ensure the safety of fans and the F1 community.

    "We always look forward to travelling to the incredible city of Montreal and while we will all have to wait a bit longer, we will put on a great show when we arrive later this year."

    Fans have been told pre-purchased tickets will remain valid while an alternative date for the race is considered.

    The French Grand Prix, scheduled for June 26, is now the next race on the 2020 calendar that has not yet been rescheduled.

  • Coronavirus: Formula 1 puts half its staff on furlough, Chase Carey and senior figures take pay cut Coronavirus: Formula 1 puts half its staff on furlough, Chase Carey and senior figures take pay cut

    Formula 1 has put half of its workers on furlough due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    With no racing taking place, and no certainty over when the delayed 2020 season can begin, the organisation is reducing its people power.

    F1 on Tuesday confirmed 50 per cent of staff have been put on furlough - a period of enforced leave that sees 80 per cent of wages up to £2,500 per month subsidised by the UK government - and will remain so until the end of May.

    Senior staff who were not put on that job retention scheme are to carry on working after taking a voluntary 20 per cent pay cut.

    Those individuals will include influential managing director Ross Brawn.

    Chase Carey, the company's chairman and chief executive, has accepted a higher percentage deduction from his regular salary.

    McLaren, Williams and Racing Point had already put a number of staff on furlough, as they contend with the financial consequences of the sport being unable to take place.

    This year's F1 season had been due to begin in Australia on March 15, but that race was called off just hours before first practice, with grands prix in Bahrain, Vietnam, China, the Netherlands, Spain and Azerbaijan also postponed.

    The flagship Monaco Grand Prix has been cancelled, with officials ruling out finding another date in 2020 for the famous street race.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.