Kaymer makes his move at Andalucia Masters, but Catlin retains two-shot lead

By Sports Desk September 05, 2020

Two-time major winner Martin Kaymer climbed into contention to win his first event since 2014 as he moved two shots behind leader John Catlin at the Andalucia Masters.

Kaymer, who emerged victorious at the 2010 US PGA Championship and 2014 U.S. Open and helped Europe retain the Ryder Cup in between, has had a fallow few years, but finished in a tie for third at last week's UK Championship and has maintained his good form at Valderrama.

After back-to-back 72s, Kaymer carded a two-under-par 69 as he rolled in three birdies and dropped just one shot at the par-four seventh during Saturday's third round.

Catlin remains the man to beat, though his advantage would have been greater had he not finished the day with back-to-back bogies to sign for a 72, his worst score of the week so far.

The American, who was five shots clear at one stage, has never won on the European Tour, but has claimed four victories on the Asian Tour.

"It's very difficult to win, it doesn't matter what tour you're on," Catlin said in quotes published on the European Tour's website.

"Having that winning experience gives me a lot of confidence so I'm going to go out, give it my all and see where everything lands.  

"It's going to be a fun day. Martin's a very good player and I look forward to seeing what he does, but I wouldn't be in that group if I couldn't compete also so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do too."

Apart from Catlin - who is two under through 54 holes - and Kaymer, everyone else is over par for the tournament.

Jamie Donaldson and Lorenzo Gagli - who had a hole-in-one at the 12th - are three adrift of the lead.

Related items

  • Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test

    Former world number one Adam Scott will miss the Zozo Championship this week after testing positive for coronavirus.

    It was announced on the eve of the tournament at the Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, California, that Scott has returned a positive COVID-19 test.

    The 2013 Masters champion is self-isolating and will be replaced in the field for the PGA Tour event by Jim Herman.

    "While it’s difficult news to receive – as I really looked forward to playing this week – my focus now is on recovery for the final stretch of the fall," Scott said

    The Australian has won 14 PGA Tour titles, most recently at the Genesis Invitational in February.

  • Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship

    Dustin Johnson has withdrawn from the Zozo Championship, delaying his return after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Johnson withdrew from last week's The CJ Cup at Shadow Creek after contracting COVID-19.

    The world number one was due to return at Sherwood Country Club in California this week, but the American will miss the PGA Tour event.

    "Unfortunately, Dustin just made the decision to withdraw from Zozo," his agent David Winkle told pgatour.com.

    "While he is feeling much better, he is still a bit low on energy and feels it would be best to wait and resume his schedule in Houston."

    Johnson, who has two wins this year, was last in action as he finished tied for sixth at the U.S. Open last month.

    A 23-time winner on the PGA Tour, Johnson is scheduled to return at the Houston Open, which begins on November 5 – a week before the Masters.

  • Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled

    Tiger Woods' Hero World Challenge has been cancelled as a result of travel restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The event in the Bahamas, hosted by 15-time major winner Woods, was set to take place in December but it was called off on Monday.

    It means there will be no opportunity for Henrik Stenson to defend his title in Albany, where a star-studded field of 18 players had been scheduled to compete.

    "Given the current global restrictions and ongoing developments resulting from COVID-19, the 2020 Hero World Challenge will not be played this year," read a statement from tournament organisers.

    "This decision was made with the health and wellbeing of all tournament constituents and the Albany community in mind.

    "We look forward to hosting 18 of the top players in the world and welcoming tournament guests to Albany, Bahamas next year."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.