Johnson extends Northern Trust lead, Tiger and McIlroy struggle

By Sports Desk August 22, 2020

Dustin Johnson took control of the Northern Trust with a seven-under-par 64, while Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy endured a difficult third round.

Johnson was almost flawless as the former world number one extended his lead to five strokes at TPC Boston on Saturday.

A two-time winner of the FedEx Cup play-off tournament, American star Johnson carried a two-shot advantage into the penultimate round.

Johnson – 15th in the FedEx Cup standings prior to the opening play-off event – surged clear thanks to an eagle, six birdies and just one bogey in Norton, Massachusetts.

Eyeing a 22nd PGA Tour title, Johnson holed a 40-foot eagle at the last to improve to 22 under through 54 holes, ahead of countrymen Harris English (66) and Scott Scheffler (67).

Louis Oosthuizen (68) is 15 under, while Harry Higgs (66), Daniel Berger (67) and Danny Lee (69) are a stroke further back following day three.

Defending champion Patrick Reed shot a third-round 68 to be 16 strokes off the pace and tied for 51st, a shot behind 2017 FedEx Cup winner Justin Thomas (71).

It was a tough day for Woods and McIlroy as the star pair continued to struggle at the Northern Trust.

After opening with a 68, 15-time major champion Woods has now posted consecutive rounds in the 70s following Saturday's two-over-par 73.

Five bogeys and just three birdies left Woods one under and out of contention, along with reigning FedEx Cup champion McIlroy.

Former world number one McIlroy is a shot worse off following his three-over-par 74, which consisted of two triple bogeys after seeing his chip shot roll backwards into the water on the second hole.

Related items

  • Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test

    Former world number one Adam Scott will miss the Zozo Championship this week after testing positive for coronavirus.

    It was announced on the eve of the tournament at the Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, California, that Scott has returned a positive COVID-19 test.

    The 2013 Masters champion is self-isolating and will be replaced in the field for the PGA Tour event by Jim Herman.

    "While it’s difficult news to receive – as I really looked forward to playing this week – my focus now is on recovery for the final stretch of the fall," Scott said

    The Australian has won 14 PGA Tour titles, most recently at the Genesis Invitational in February.

  • Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship

    Dustin Johnson has withdrawn from the Zozo Championship, delaying his return after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Johnson withdrew from last week's The CJ Cup at Shadow Creek after contracting COVID-19.

    The world number one was due to return at Sherwood Country Club in California this week, but the American will miss the PGA Tour event.

    "Unfortunately, Dustin just made the decision to withdraw from Zozo," his agent David Winkle told pgatour.com.

    "While he is feeling much better, he is still a bit low on energy and feels it would be best to wait and resume his schedule in Houston."

    Johnson, who has two wins this year, was last in action as he finished tied for sixth at the U.S. Open last month.

    A 23-time winner on the PGA Tour, Johnson is scheduled to return at the Houston Open, which begins on November 5 – a week before the Masters.

  • Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled

    Tiger Woods' Hero World Challenge has been cancelled as a result of travel restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The event in the Bahamas, hosted by 15-time major winner Woods, was set to take place in December but it was called off on Monday.

    It means there will be no opportunity for Henrik Stenson to defend his title in Albany, where a star-studded field of 18 players had been scheduled to compete.

    "Given the current global restrictions and ongoing developments resulting from COVID-19, the 2020 Hero World Challenge will not be played this year," read a statement from tournament organisers.

    "This decision was made with the health and wellbeing of all tournament constituents and the Albany community in mind.

    "We look forward to hosting 18 of the top players in the world and welcoming tournament guests to Albany, Bahamas next year."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.