Koepka matches career low to lead WGC event in Memphis, Rahm shoots 70 as McIlroy struggles

By Sports Desk July 30, 2020

Brooks Koepka made a dream start to his title defence at the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational after matching his career-low round on the PGA Tour.

Koepka carded an eight-under-par 62 for a two-stroke lead following the opening round of the World Golf Championships event in Memphis on Thursday.

The four-time major champion – who has missed two cuts in his past three outings heading to TPC Southwind – was almost flawless at the PGA and European Tour tournament.

Koepka, troubled by a knee injury that has led to just one top-10 finish in 10 tournaments this year, raced out of the blocks with four consecutive birdies before closing out the front nine with back-to-back gains after dropping the seventh.

The American star was bogey free after the turn, birdieing the 11th, 13th and 16th holes to top the leaderboard ahead of countrymen Rickie Fowler and Brendon Todd.

Kang Sung-hoon is outright fourth on five under, a shot ahead of 2018 champion Justin Thomas, Matt Kuchar, Chez Reavie and Max Homa, while the likes of Phil Mickelson and Sergio Garcia are three under through 18 holes.

Former world number one Jordan Spieth endured a mixed round, posting a double bogey, two bogeys and six birdies for a two-under-par 68 – a score matched by players such as Jason Day, Bubba Watson and Xander Schauffele.

Dustin Johnson, the 2016 winner who withdrew from last week's 3M Open, signed for a first-round 69 to be a shot better off than world number one Jon Rahm.

Rahm dethroned Rory McIlroy as the world's top-ranked golfer after winning the Memorial Tournament earlier this month and the Spanish star opened his Memphis campaign with four bogeys and four birdies.

He performed a lot better than McIlroy, who carded a three-over-par 73 to leave himself with plenty of work to do heading into Friday's second round.

Related items

  • Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test

    Former world number one Adam Scott will miss the Zozo Championship this week after testing positive for coronavirus.

    It was announced on the eve of the tournament at the Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, California, that Scott has returned a positive COVID-19 test.

    The 2013 Masters champion is self-isolating and will be replaced in the field for the PGA Tour event by Jim Herman.

    "While it’s difficult news to receive – as I really looked forward to playing this week – my focus now is on recovery for the final stretch of the fall," Scott said

    The Australian has won 14 PGA Tour titles, most recently at the Genesis Invitational in February.

  • Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship

    Dustin Johnson has withdrawn from the Zozo Championship, delaying his return after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Johnson withdrew from last week's The CJ Cup at Shadow Creek after contracting COVID-19.

    The world number one was due to return at Sherwood Country Club in California this week, but the American will miss the PGA Tour event.

    "Unfortunately, Dustin just made the decision to withdraw from Zozo," his agent David Winkle told pgatour.com.

    "While he is feeling much better, he is still a bit low on energy and feels it would be best to wait and resume his schedule in Houston."

    Johnson, who has two wins this year, was last in action as he finished tied for sixth at the U.S. Open last month.

    A 23-time winner on the PGA Tour, Johnson is scheduled to return at the Houston Open, which begins on November 5 – a week before the Masters.

  • Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled

    Tiger Woods' Hero World Challenge has been cancelled as a result of travel restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The event in the Bahamas, hosted by 15-time major winner Woods, was set to take place in December but it was called off on Monday.

    It means there will be no opportunity for Henrik Stenson to defend his title in Albany, where a star-studded field of 18 players had been scheduled to compete.

    "Given the current global restrictions and ongoing developments resulting from COVID-19, the 2020 Hero World Challenge will not be played this year," read a statement from tournament organisers.

    "This decision was made with the health and wellbeing of all tournament constituents and the Albany community in mind.

    "We look forward to hosting 18 of the top players in the world and welcoming tournament guests to Albany, Bahamas next year."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.